Is this "normal" with an ATP and a VERY NEW (User)...?

treadhead

Jul 8, 2013
Salem, OR
Detector(s) used
Ace 150, AT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer, Vibra-Probe 580 and 730.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey folks, I've been using an ATP (With the 5X8 coil) in a "trashy" old park for a couple of months now.

I'm having a lot of fun digging some 100yr old iron stuff ( Before this place was a park it had a couple/three 19th century
mills on it). This place is littered with iron (I mean.....LOTS and LOTS of iron!), nails, pieces of old machinery, old tins and
the ubiqitous "can-slaw"...it's freakin' everywhere here.

Anyway..., about 6 weeks ago, after reading about test gardens here, I buried a Barber dime at 5 inches and a 1957
quarter at 6 inches (You have to fight your way through some truly nasty blackberries to get to My "ON-SITE" test area)
and I hit it again today (I understand that some folks here have test gardens that're 1-2 decades old).

Here's My problem....My test targets (At 5 and 6 inches) barely register (I mean, REALLY weak, not at all consistant
tones on My ATP whether I'm running in "Pro coin" or "Pro zero". I'm getting "hits" that range from the low 20's on the
VDI (IF it picks them up at all?) all the way up to the mid' 60's [IF, I orbit the target]). It's pretty discouraging to My
newb enthusiasm...lol

Should I just let My tests hang out a little longer or...(?)... I understand that they'll "hit" different depending on how
they're oriented and how deep they are but (Hell..lol), I'm really starting to hate you folks with '250's and 350's that
seem to find silver pretty regularly (Bastages!)...lol

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AT Pro is weak on freshly buried coins as are most detectors except Minelabs. I would suggest you dig up your test garden and rebury them in your yard if you have one.

As for the "Silver Finds" others have posted, remember not everyone is honest and some post silver coins they bought at a coin shop as they just want an Atta boy. Same goes for some of the jewelry finds. Take all pixs with a grain of salt.

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
I dont use the small dd and I dont have a test garden. The big dd hits acid rotted wheats and silver dimes at 6" no problem with sense set at 5 and dead neutral gb. It will go deeper I just gotta find some deeper ones. I may have pushed 7 inches on a wheat or two. Try this. Forget air tests and gardens for the moment. In that trashy spot with the smaller coil, try sense at 4 or 5, iron 40, zero notch, pro mode, iron audio off. Get a good gb. Turn confidence meter up to pegged. Work the area slowly with attitude and start out digging the good high pitch signals, then work on the mid tones. You wont miss much. Just remember, in pro mode you have proportional audio, which means the deeper the coin is, the fainter it sounds. It aint too loud so ya gotta have your "coin ears" on. But it still beeps clear and you can still pp it. The pro has awesome pp.

Last edited:

Jay In NewKen

Jun 24, 2012
New Kensington, Pa
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 250, Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I dont use the small dd and I dont have a test garden. The big dd hits acid rotted wheats and silver dimes at 6" no problem with sense set at 5 and dead neutral gb. It will go deeper I just gotta find some deeper ones. I may have pushed 7 inches on a wheat or two. Try this. Forget air tests and gardens for the moment. In that trashy spot with the smaller coil, try sense at 4 or 5, iron 40, zero notch, pro mode, iron audio off. Get a good gb. Turn confidence meter up to pegged. Work the area slowly with attitude and start out digging the good high pitch signals, then work on the mid tones. You wont miss much. Just remember, in pro mode you have proportional audio, which means the deeper the coin is, the fainter is sounds. It aint too loud so ya gotta have your "coin ears" on. But it still beeps clear and you can still pp it. The pro has awesome pp.

Confidence meter?

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You know confidence. As in believe you will find the good stuff.

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

hoosierguy

Feb 5, 2013
Laconia, IN
Detector(s) used
● Minelab Manticore ● Minelab CTX-3030 ● Minelab Equinox 800 ● Minelab Goldmaster 1000 ● Garrett Apex
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
AT Pro is weak on freshly buried coins as are most detectors except Minelabs. I would suggest you dig up your test garden and rebury them in your yard if you have one.

As for the "Silver Finds" others have posted, remember not everyone is honest and some post silver coins they bought at a coin shop as they just want an Atta boy. Same goes for some of the jewelry finds. Take all pixs with a grain of salt.

Sandman...you have a talent for saying what I am thinking. I've always thought that there were a certain percentage of "attention seekers" who pull old coins and other things out, snap a pic or two and post them as finds. I don't think that's anywhere near the norm, but my gut tells me there are some that do...

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sandman...you have a talent for saying what I am thinking. I've always thought that there were a certain percentage of "attention seekers" who pull old coins and other things out, snap a pic or two and post them as finds. I don't think that's anywhere near the norm, but my gut tells me there are some that do...

I agree. Too bad though I love finding stuff and posting just haven't found any good stuff lately except a charm that I can't figure what it's made of.

OP
OP
treadhead

treadhead

Jul 8, 2013
Salem, OR
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree. Too bad though I love finding stuff and posting just haven't found any good stuff lately except a charm that I can't figure what it's made of.
To the three of you that this quote refers to (And who all claim ATP ownership) thanks 8-)

As I've mentioned, I'm very new to all of this. I just sort've blew me away that My machine wasn't picking up silver at depths that
I would've "thought" it would (Eh, I'm new to all this stuff).

For what it's worth, yesterday (The morning after this post) I found a clad coin-spill (34 cents) and the ATP hit hard on all of them.
I went away pretty happy...lol

OP
OP
treadhead

treadhead

Jul 8, 2013
Salem, OR
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

See, I kind'a worry about that sort'a stuff...??? I mean, I really hope that folks ARE finding those treasures out there but.....lol...some of
the YT videos....eh...maybe I just suck...lol 8-)

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
See, I kind'a worry about that sort'a stuff...??? I mean, I really hope that folks ARE finding those treasures out there but.....lol...some of
the YT videos....eh...maybe I just suck...lol 8-)

No you will find them they are out there good luck.

paul of Penna

Feb 1, 2011
PA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado umax
Garrett AT PRO
Vibrapaobe Pinpointer
Whites Classic III
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just got my AT PRO two weeks ago and ran through a few battery changes so far. I am finally pinpointing much better with it, and have found two silver quarters where I and many others have been over quite a few times. I was using the stock coil, to get the best depth as is the case when I know it's been hammered. Another place I went to I just decided to turn on my detector as I finished the walk in to the site, and three feet later I got a high tone, repeatable in all directions (just like it should sound) and it was a 1906 barber quarter. My arm has worn out swinging the big coil, so I am going to stay with the 5x8 for a bit now. LOL Stick with it, and you'll find the silver you are searching for!
Paul of Penna

solaryellow

Aug 26, 2007
Detector(s) used
Smart Tracker XR8 gift from dad as a kid, 1983?
Garrett Master Hunter CX/12" high energy hothead. R.I.P (1991-2013)
I had a rosie dime at 7" and a Merc at 5" they appeared to be in the ground for awhile. they both air test exactly the same at 9.5 with (I would dig it) repeatable numbers.. Pro Zero max sens, Freshly buried I struggled in the 6" range.. So i guess its normal for the ATPro.

bzbadger

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2013
Lower Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD II, Garrett Ace 150 & 350, Fisher ID Excel, Fisher coinstrike, Fisher Cz6, Fisher Gemini II, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett GTI 1500,Teknetiks omega 8000, Nokta Fors Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love my ATP and its funny how in our club the ATP guys stick together. The machine speaks for itself, it does a heck of a job. People think they have quirks or don't work, fine keep thinking that and while you decide on what moanlab you think you can afford months from now I will be digging up stuff with my quirky machine. I've pulled stuff as deep as 18" and while a $2k+ moanlab tried desperately to find the target. Learn the machine and you will learn to love it. I actually like minelabs but just too much green for a machine.

Get your facts first, then distort them as you please-Mark Twain

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
A blind, unwitting caveman, forced into a freak metal detecting challenge, blindfolded, with one hand tied behind his back, using a radio shack, could easily find the elusive 6" silver crap, on Monday morning, after a blowout vodka bender, all banged up and hung over. No offense intended to the radio shack folks indeed. I guess the cavemen hate vodka I hear and stuff.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions