Tenderfoot
Aug 28, 2013
Baltimore County Maryland
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey y'all,

Just received the ATP yesterday and although very humid out yesterday tried it out in the backyard.

Background: Got my first RadioShack MD for x-mas in '84. Used it a lot and dug plenty of coins and trash. Put it away when I went college 23 years ago! I'm back with an ATP.

The Yard: The house was built in '06 in very rocky clay soil. The yard was a creation after the foundation was dug and I consider it disturbed ground. However the previous owners lived there six years and I figured they dropped a bob or two.

Day one: Started detecting before I read the GB info. Lots of noise even in STD mode. Pulled out the manual again and autoGB at 93-95. Did not take it down 2 notches as recommended on the threads here. (yet) I guess this means I have very ferrous soil.

D1 #2: Calibrated AutoGB 95 / Fe disc at 40 and lowered sensitivity to 3. Just so I could get an idea on tones in STD and PRO. I would like to learn the PRO tones and skip the 2 step learning curve. Started to get hits and dug some. My ground is so dry and hard and rocky I require a post hole digger and a pry bar to dig six inches. (Started praying for rain)

- Finds
1) Aluminum soda can, Sunkist orange, mangled 3-4 inches down. Reading came in at an 82 at 6-8 inches down.
2) Galvanized mesh used to hold trusses together during home construction. Read as 4-6 inches and 70+ Located just under the grass <1 inch
3) Aluminum soda can, Coke, mangled 3 inches. Reading again 80+ 6-8 inches down.
4) Sheer bolt and cotter pin from my Husqvarna rototiller tine that fell off when tilling my rock garden

Observations:

- I am a glutton for punishment
- The pinpoint mode reminds me of my old Radio Shack MD
- I have less patience for digging trash than when I was 12
- I noticed the PP mode could be used to screen out an Al can as it gave a 'wide' signal
- Had issues with getting a hit and then not being able to get one again or get one at the same number. i.e. 72 ---> 30
- Had issues with getting a hit and then the detector making very short noises and skipping out only to retone the original hit
- Had issues with a clean hit and then it seemed to move several inches away as I was digging

Questions:

-Any advice on avoiding Al cans? I would have thought they would have shown up in the pull tab area.
-Any thoughts on why a reading would come in at a 65 then move to a 30 then a 43, but never a 65 again?
-Any insight into exactly where a target is when the beep goes off? I feel as though I hear it but the coil has moved on and when I go back its gone or different. Even if I wait for 'recovery'
-Any advice for Auto GB readings at 95! and its effects?

Thanks in advance,

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Enceladus said:
Hey y'all,

Just received the ATP yesterday and although very humid out yesterday tried it out in the backyard.

Background: Got my first RadioShack MD for x-mas in '84. Used it a lot and dug plenty of coins and trash. Put it away when I went college 23 years ago! I'm back with an ATP.

The Yard: The house was built in '06 in very rocky clay soil. The yard was a creation after the foundation was dug and I consider it disturbed ground. However the previous owners lived there six years and I figured they dropped a bob or two.

Day one: Started detecting before I read the GB info. Lots of noise even in STD mode. Pulled out the manual again and autoGB at 93-95. Did not take it down 2 notches as recommended on the threads here. (yet) I guess this means I have very ferrous soil.

D1 #2: Calibrated AutoGB 95 / Fe disc at 40 and lowered sensitivity to 3. Just so I could get an idea on tones in STD and PRO. I would like to learn the PRO tones and skip the 2 step learning curve. Started to get hits and dug some. My ground is so dry and hard and rocky I require a post hole digger and a pry bar to dig six inches. (Started praying for rain)

- Finds
1) Aluminum soda can, Sunkist orange, mangled 3-4 inches down. Reading came in at an 82 at 6-8 inches down.
2) Galvanized mesh used to hold trusses together during home construction. Read as 4-6 inches and 70+ Located just under the grass <1 inch
3) Aluminum soda can, Coke, mangled 3 inches. Reading again 80+ 6-8 inches down.
4) Sheer bolt and cotter pin from my Husqvarna rototiller tine that fell off when tilling my rock garden

Observations:

- I am a glutton for punishment
- The pinpoint mode reminds me of my old Radio Shack MD
- I have less patience for digging trash than when I was 12
- I noticed the PP mode could be used to screen out an Al can as it gave a 'wide' signal
- Had issues with getting a hit and then not being able to get one again or get one at the same number. i.e. 72 ---> 30
- Had issues with getting a hit and then the detector making very short noises and skipping out only to retone the original hit
- Had issues with a clean hit and then it seemed to move several inches away as I was digging

Questions:

-Any advice on avoiding Al cans? I would have thought they would have shown up in the pull tab area.
-Any thoughts on why a reading would come in at a 65 then move to a 30 then a 43, but never a 65 again?
-Any insight into exactly where a target is when the beep goes off? I feel as though I hear it but the coil has moved on and when I go back its gone or different. Even if I wait for 'recovery'
-Any advice for Auto GB readings at 95! and its effects?

Thanks in advance,

Hi Enceladus and welcome to TNet!

Large aluminum cans and iron will ring in the higher VDI coin range. They do with all detectors. Raise your coil 4-5 inches and if you can still hear it then it is usually a large junk item unless it is right on the surface and your handheld pin pointer will tell you that.

Readings that jump around are usually junk or a piece of junk next to a good target. Try turning 90 degrees and see if you can get a hit both ways.

Try wiggling the coil over a target quickly to narrow down its location. Look for the highest reading when you pinpoint and it will be located just in front of the shaft. Watch some YouTube videos and practice.

GB at 95 is highly mineralized soil but not a problem if you can GB it out. Try manually lowering the GB a couple points if you are still chatty or lower the sensitivity a bit.

Good luck!

Big-o

Greenie
Aug 17, 2013
Adirondaks NY and Long Island,NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I also just picked up the ATPro and I've encountered the same things you have. I will get a ding or sounds more like a bell tone and register a 85 or better than it drops down to 30 or so. One thing I did notice at the beach, if the coil head just barely touches anything, even a slight touch to the sand, it will register a high 90 or 99. I've noticed this also in the grassy areas. ot trying to steal your thread but what adjustment should we make to drop the false signals out? Also, what is a good/very good pointer to purchase.

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Big-o said:
I also just picked up the ATPro and I've encountered the same things you have. I will get a ding or sounds more like a bell tone and register a 85 or better than it drops down to 30 or so. One thing I did notice at the beach, if the coil head just barely touches anything, even a slight touch to the sand, it will register a high 90 or 99. I've noticed this also in the grassy areas. ot trying to steal your thread but what adjustment should we make to drop the false signals out? Also, what is a good/very good pointer to purchase.

In salt water with the ATPro your going to get more falsing than in dirt. Do an auto GB and drop it manually 4 or 5 points. If it still does it start lowering the sensitivity. Also hunt in PRO mode and get rid of the stupid bells going off at every signal.
Buy a Garrett Pro Pointer. Don't waste your money on anything else.

Good luck!

paul of Penna

Feb 1, 2011
PA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado umax
Garrett AT PRO
Vibrapaobe Pinpointer
Whites Classic III
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
An improper GB will make the false signals happen a good bit. Make sure to GB only over an area devoid of any metal! I use the PP button to find an area like that. The AT PRO is a very sensetive and accurate discriminator, thus when I get lousy signals I just pass on the dig. There are of course many exceptions to that rule, but it depends what I have dug in that area, as well as trying to GB several times about the place to determine if I am hunting effectively or not. If you put a coin over the coil is doesn't sound like a bad signal does it?
Paul of Penna

wvwildman

Silver Member
Jan 3, 2013
fayette county wv
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, 5X8 DD, white's coin master pro, 4X6 DD, garrett propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
make sure you got your coil cable wrapped right and make sure it is wrapped tight or it will false

OP
OP
E

Enceladus

Tenderfoot
Aug 28, 2013
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Day Two....

I thank you for your insights.

As for day two I would say getting better.
I have had some internet issues so I have not had a chance to You Tube any knowlege yet.

I grabbed a few minutes when the kids were napping on Saturday. Then my wife sent out my 3 year old, so I said self we're going hunting. I walked in the woods for 2 hours with my wee one. She talked continuously for 2 hours so the headphones were very handy.

I like the woods much better than my back yard. same amount of rocks but the soil has a loom quality.

Results: Lots of 12 guage brass primers. I'm guessing since there was no plastic they predate the 1960's I hit these in the 55 range +/- 5.

Barbed wire, lots of other wire. I found several areas that must have been old burn pits because the AT went nut hitting multiple 10's of iron objects.

Issues:

- Notice that I will get a sound but nothing in the VID. I would have assumed no sound or VID if a target was below Fe disc or notched.

- I will get a clean hit say at 70. I'll check it from multiple directions and pinpoint. Then dig and check only to reread at say 40.

- I will dig a target and chase it around the ground and never see anything. I guess I need a magnet. Do any of you find very small strong signals?

Observations:

- Starting to figure the junk out with a quick low-mid-low chirp vs the true clear signal.
- Still having to dig clear signals that fall in the good range but are junk. Assuming this is par for the course.
- Leaving town for a week but I'll check back in soon

hoosierguy

Feb 5, 2013
Laconia, IN
Detector(s) used
â—Ź Minelab Manticore â—Ź Minelab CTX-3030 â—Ź Minelab Equinox 800 â—Ź Minelab Goldmaster 1000 â—Ź Garrett Apex
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Enceladus...that has to be the most detailed post I've seen on here! You must be a researcher or something similar in occupation.

I think your experiences are normal for a new ATP user. Once you find a decent place to look you will be finding things other than what's mentioned. Doing a little research of your area to find good search locations makes a big difference.

Good luck, and welcome back to the hobby!

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
hoosierguy said:
Enceladus...that has to be the most detailed post I've seen on here! You must be a researcher or something similar in occupation.

I think your experiences are normal for a new ATP user. Once you find a decent place to look you will be finding things other than what's mentioned. Doing a little research of your area to find good search locations makes a big difference.

Good luck, and welcome back to the hobby!

Close. He's a Financial Advisor.

RobSFRD

Jun 5, 2013
Urbana,Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's taken me over 100 hours and questions on here to other users to feel really comfortable with my ATP. One main thing to remember is that the pinpointing mode will give you the best depth reading. I dont even look at the depth until I pinpoint. I have also been finding jewelry at a more regular pace after putting in so many hours on my ATP. It's definately a machine that needs to be practiced with, especially pinpointing.

bigmatt132

Sep 1, 2013
Saginaw, MI
Detector(s) used
GARRETT , Ace 250, Ace 350, Currently AT Pro
Garrett ProPointer
Lesche, Digger, Sampson
When you get a hit , turn 90 degrees and check it again depending on its orientation in the ground you might get a different reading .

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great advice here! Raise the coil on suspected big targets. If signal goes away its small. Stil there 7-8" above ground, its something big.

rks1949

May 13, 2013
Lawrenceville,Il.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett AT Max, Nokta Simplex +, Nokta Legend ,Garrett Pro Pointer , Fisher F Point, Garrett Digging Tool, Gator Razor, Digging Tool, Sampson Digger, Get the Track Hoe! It's a deep one! :)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Getting a good signal tone,but no VID,is a deep target (those are the best most of the time)! After some time with the machine,you will be able to tell a good target from a bad one,using only the sound of the tones!:thumbsup: Deep targets mean they are most likely old targets (silver). Use pro modes,coins,or pro zero. It takes time to learn a machine,but when it all comes together,the good finds will increase,and the trash digging will decrease!:thumbsup: You can also pinpoint by wiggling the coil,while pulling it towards you (don't use the PP button)when doing this. When the front edge of the coil leaves the target,the tone will drop off. Your target is right infront of the coils front edge. Using this method will also tell you if it's a bottle cap. If it's a bottle cap,it will "crackel,or break up as it gets near the front of the coil,coins just break off clean!

Last edited:

Sapper724

May 28, 2013
Northwestern WI
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO (Current)
Minelab Etrac (Current)
Garrett Pro Pointer
Sampson 31" Digger

Fisher F2 (RIP)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Getting a good signal tone,but no VID,is a deep target (those are the best most of the time)! After some time with the machine,you will be able to tell a good target from a bad one,using only the sound of the tones!:thumbsup: Deep targets mean they are most likely old targets (silver). Use pro modes,coins,or pro zero. It takes time to learn a machine,but when it all comes together,the good finds will increase,and the trash digging will decrease!:thumbsup: You can also pinpoint by wiggling the coil,while pulling it towards you (don't use the PP button)when doing this. When the front edge of the coil leaves the target,the tone will drop off. Your target is right infront of the coils front edge. Using this method will also tell you if it's a bottle cap. If it's a bottle cap,it will "crackel,or break up as it gets near the front of the coil,coins just break off clean!

RKS with the solid advice as always! Couldn't say it better myself!

OP
OP
E

Enceladus

Tenderfoot
Aug 28, 2013
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Day 3

Before I went to the 'dark side' as an advisor I was biology major. So, I may have a tendency to write in the scientific method mode. Also helps in making the posts clearer.

My wife and I just returned from Denver at 5 am Saturday morning after watching the Ravens loose and having 75k Orange clad fans with a chip on their shoulder from their overtime playoff loss last year trying to kill me. It was a hell of a game though and I grew up as a Buffalo Bills fans so losing feels natural to me any way. The kids were up before 7, yikes. But I was able to sneak out at 3pm while everyone slept.

As a preface I have been reading this sight since 2009. I have also read and implemented much of what y'all have been suggesting and as expected I have had a little success. Thanks. Oh and I did myself a favor and got the Garrett pro pointer which has eased my troubled digging.

So I have decided to hunt the woods near my house. Figured less junk and it will help me learn. Been finding a lot of rusty old iron and some odd bits and pieces I will post pics of to try to id.

Today was a great day. I went in in Pro zero mode as it reminds me of my old Radio Shack where I just picked my targets. I tend toward the 'dig all targets' camp, however the rocks around here are challenging. I have been finding older stuff within 1-3 inches of the surface. The primer from the shot gun shells are at least from the pre-plastic era and are on the surface or only an inch down.

I knew I only had small window today and about 2-3 inches down I pulled my first keeper. A colonial flat 'dandy' button. It measured at 33mm or about 1 1/4 inches, did not have any markings on the back and had three garlands on it. One in the center middle one and one on the edge. I'll post pics later once I get some good ones in the light tomorrow.

Hoosierguy my post are detailed. However after I found that button I located Buckleboys "How to clean a buttons" post. Great post and hands down beats me on the detail!

I have done a fair amount of research on my area. But before I jump into asking permission etc. I wanted to get to know my tool. In fact the old main North South Colonial road from VA to Philadelphia and NY passes within 4 miles of my house. I had asked some of the older folks about different home sites and farms in the immediate area and they came to the conclusion mostly 1850 based on when the old lady up the streets granddad bought the farm where all our houses are today. So the button find today, if it was not dropped some years later puts the site date to around 1770 - 1820. Which is cool because I was 400 feet from my back door. I can't wait for nap time tomorrow!!

dig kzoo

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2013
Kalamazoo co. MI
Detector(s) used
1 Minelab CTX3030, 2 Garrett AT Gold, Garrett ACE 350, 2 Bounty Hunter tracker IV,BH Junior, 2 Garrett pro pointers
a family adventure!!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have investigated several sites with a number of detectors, between the whites mxt pro, garrett at gold, garrett ace 350, bounty hunter tracker IV. Battery condition, mineral and moisture conditions make a big difference. I don't go by the display only. listen to your tones and dig it all. I get a lot of trash but a lot of good finds.
good luck and happy hunting.

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
dig kzoo said:
I have investigated several sites with a number of detectors, between the whites mxt pro, garrett at gold, garrett ace 350, bounty hunter tracker IV. Battery condition, mineral and moisture conditions make a big difference. I don't go by the display only. listen to your tones and dig it all. I get a lot of trash but a lot of good finds.
good luck and happy hunting.

If you going to "dig it all" why bother having a display or multi tone machine at all?

Sapper724

May 28, 2013
Northwestern WI
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO (Current)
Minelab Etrac (Current)
Garrett Pro Pointer
Sampson 31" Digger

Fisher F2 (RIP)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I dont dig it all most of the time, but sometimes I do just to learn more about what's in the area

OP
OP
E

Enceladus

Tenderfoot
Aug 28, 2013
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks to all who posted their excellent advice. I have tried most of it and things are improving.

The Good:

I am in love with this hobby. I try to get out every free minute I have.
I assumed I was looking for coins and jewelry before I started MDing again. Not so the junk in the woods is really interesting.

I have been finding a lot of shotgun shells primers or end caps. I knew they were older but hadn't looked into them.
Of the 14 i have found not one is dated later than 1938. I can tell some are much older, but I have not found a source to refine my dating. They have no monetary value, but I love them and they help me date the site and what was going on here. Shotgun
- I used Buckleboys stick cleaning technique for buttons. but i would like to clean and preserve them better. Might try some aluminum jelly to clean them up.

The Bad

The humidity is oppressive. I need a spider web detector too. I’m tired of using my face.

I’ve had some new issues. The PP had worked reasonably well until Sunday when it would go silent over the target and make noise otherwise. i.e. a reverse pinpoint.

I'm still losing targets. I get a hit, go to the 90 confirm, PP, pro-pinpoint, and then dig. Scan the hole and the pile nothing with either the MD or the pro. Guess it’s one of several issues:
Batteries- but they run full power until all bars are gone apparently.
Wire wrap - in full sensitivity mode maybe i need to tape it further up the poll.
EMI- just the Garrett pro in my pocket. No cell no other EM around.
Other metal- My little shovel and digger. I have noticed these ring the bell but moved them away and still had issues.
Operator error- I always try to drink half a case before I dig.
Guesses?

I wouldn't normally complain except the digging here is very difficult. I'm lucky to get a full cup of soil at a time. Lots of roots and rocks. I am fine digging the junk, but chasing ghost is tiring.

@RobRieman
"If you going to "dig it all" why bother having a display or multi tone machine at all"
Normally I wouldn't but these are woods with little or no modern trash. So I want to see it all. And I also use it as a lesson in tones.

@RKS1949
If that is your real picture I want to drive to IL and share a jar of moonshine with you.
I believe it was your posts on the AT that sealed the deal for my purchase vs. the XP Deus. I read em all Thank You.
About the AT. I get these very low volume, low tone sounds not much more than a mosquito. Would you ever dig something like that if you’re looking for relics? I haven't because of my ghost issue above. But it's tempting.

Forgive the detail I just excited!

Potts

Oct 13, 2010
U.P. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks to all who posted their excellent advice. I have tried most of it and things are improving.

The Good:

I am in love with this hobby. I try to get out every free minute I have.
I assumed I was looking for coins and jewelry before I started MDing again. Not so the junk in the woods is really interesting.

I have been finding a lot of shotgun shells primers or end caps. I knew they were older but hadn't looked into them.
Of the 14 i have found not one is dated later than 1938. I can tell some are much older, but I have not found a source to refine my dating. They have no monetary value, but I love them and they help me date the site and what was going on here. Shotgun
- I used Buckleboys stick cleaning technique for buttons. but i would like to clean and preserve them better. Might try some aluminum jelly to clean them up.

The Bad

The humidity is oppressive. I need a spider web detector too. I’m tired of using my face.

I’ve had some new issues. The PP had worked reasonably well until Sunday when it would go silent over the target and make noise otherwise. i.e. a reverse pinpoint.

I'm still losing targets. I get a hit, go to the 90 confirm, PP, pro-pinpoint, and then dig. Scan the hole and the pile nothing with either the MD or the pro. Guess it’s one of several issues:
Batteries- but they run full power until all bars are gone apparently.
Wire wrap - in full sensitivity mode maybe i need to tape it further up the poll.
EMI- just the Garrett pro in my pocket. No cell no other EM around.
Other metal- My little shovel and digger. I have noticed these ring the bell but moved them away and still had issues.
Operator error- I always try to drink half a case before I dig.
Guesses?

I wouldn't normally complain except the digging here is very difficult. I'm lucky to get a full cup of soil at a time. Lots of roots and rocks. I am fine digging the junk, but chasing ghost is tiring.

@RobRieman
"If you going to "dig it all" why bother having a display or multi tone machine at all"
Normally I wouldn't but these are woods with little or no modern trash. So I want to see it all. And I also use it as a lesson in tones.

@RKS1949
If that is your real picture I want to drive to IL and share a jar of moonshine with you.
I believe it was your posts on the AT that sealed the deal for my purchase vs. the XP Deus. I read em all Thank You.
About the AT. I get these very low volume, low tone sounds not much more than a mosquito. Would you ever dig something like that if you’re looking for relics? I haven't because of my ghost issue above. But it's tempting.

Forgive the detail I just excited!

I don't know if you have a Pro Pointer but it really speeds things up, as far as shotgun shells primers or end caps they can be dated, I believe someone on the site made a nice shadow box display with them listing the dates. RKS1949 is also one of my favorite's, I don't dig everything, if I did I'm sure I would of been kicked out of the Parks I hunt.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread