AT Pro goes nutts!

Sand Pirate

Jun 26, 2013
Hampton, VA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Up until yestereday, my ATP has been working great...no issues. I last used it this past Sunday and it worked flawlessly. BUT....
Yesterday I went for a spin on the beach....turned it on and it just went crazy!....It would not ground balance...numbers did not change, and it wouldn't shut up. I moved to another location thinking I may have been over a can or something, no help. This thing had a mind of it's own. It was making every sound imaginable, display was bouncing all over the place and it would not stop. I turned it on and off several times...did a factory reset, changed frequencies, took out the battery pack, checked for moisture etc, unplugged the coil connector checked for moisture, nothing....put everything back together...still going crazy. I could not get it to tone on anything either. i put the coil directly on my scoop and it would not "see" it...no tone other than the prolific chatter. It reminded me of something having a short in it....After about 30 minutes of doing this over and over, she finally settled down a bit, but to keep it steady I had to turn the sensitivity down to two or three bars. HIGHLY unusual. I still could not get a good GB, and she was still chirping when she shouldn't have been....I still managed to find 4 pennies before the rain came....
Anybody else experienced this?

Last edited:

rks1949

May 13, 2013
Lawrenceville,Il.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett AT Max, Nokta Simplex +, Nokta Legend ,Garrett Pro Pointer , Fisher F Point, Garrett Digging Tool, Gator Razor, Digging Tool, Sampson Digger, Get the Track Hoe! It's a deep one! :)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sounds like you need to try a factory reset! Turn it on and hold down the power button until you hear a series of beeps,then give it a try!

OP
OP
Sand Pirate

Sand Pirate

Jun 26, 2013
Hampton, VA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I did...three times....no effect. I'm leaning towards moisture in the coil connector. It was loose, but not by much. Visual inspection did not reveal any moisture, but I could be wrong. I haven't had time to mess with it today. I plan on taking the connectors loose and letting them dry over night and see if that has anything to do with it. And leave the batteries out too...I wish I had video'ed it doing that ..it was crazy...

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We live in busy times and with all the Wi-Fi's and microwave towers its a wonder any of them work. Try cleaning out the coil cover but I don't think that's it. I won't use my AT PRO as I have no confidence in it so it hangs on a wall.

OP
OP
Sand Pirate

Sand Pirate

Jun 26, 2013
Hampton, VA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well, I don't have a coil cover...sorry you don't like the ATP, my experience with it (until this issue) has been wonderful. I agree its not the best for the beaches, hence my efforts to research a better machine for the beach, but I will never hang mine in the garage....LOL!

Sandman, what's your take on the CZ21?

OP
OP
Sand Pirate

Sand Pirate

Jun 26, 2013
Hampton, VA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Wayne, I tried that too...all the way to zero. Nothing worked....
However, good news is, I unhooked the connectors and left them off overnight, just in case there was moisture there, and it seemed to help. I wont know for certain until I go back to that same location, because around the house there is a lot of metal stuff so its chatty here anyway. Gonna try it outside somewhere later...

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I don't have a coil cover...sorry you don't like the ATP, my experience with it (until this issue) has been wonderful. I agree its not the best for the beaches, hence my efforts to research a better machine for the beach, but I will never hang mine in the garage....LOL!

The CZ-21 is a great detector and works just like the CZ-20 that I have. I think it is as deep as my Excal with same size coil. But quality comes at a higher price. I've dove with my CZ to 140 foot with no leaks many times as well as my Tiger Shark and Excal. The Tiger Shark is the only one that is near the price of the AT PRO, but no screens on water detectors. CZ-21 has improved pinpoint button which I don't need in the water cause of huge scoop. Never had any falsing with either units. The Tiger Shark can false on some salt beaches because it is only a one freq detector unlike the CZ's. By all means get one if you can afford it and I promise you that you won't be sorry. The only thing the ATP has going for it is the less weight, but that's cause it isn't made for diving. I smeared silicone sealant over my PP button to stop rubber rot leaks and don't use PP anyway. 158.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sand Pirate

Sand Pirate

Jun 26, 2013
Hampton, VA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well, after letting it air out and checking for cracks in the coils etc etc....it's going back to Garrett after the holiday. It has to be a bad coil based on what others have said about the same issues. Oh well, that's what a warrantee is for!

OP
OP
Sand Pirate

Sand Pirate

Jun 26, 2013
Hampton, VA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Called Garrett yesterday, they are sending a new coil. Hope that fixes it, if not they said send in the whole thing and they will replace it if it needs to be

hobby

Aug 9, 2013

I always use my at pro at the beach wet sand working smooth and detecting. Deep enough .it look like you have a problem but first try to change location away from the area that you detecting in

bigmatt132

Sep 1, 2013
Saginaw, MI
Detector(s) used
GARRETT , Ace 250, Ace 350, Currently AT Pro
Garrett ProPointer
Lesche, Digger, Sampson
Sandman , what detector do you use?

OP
OP
Sand Pirate

Sand Pirate

Jun 26, 2013
Hampton, VA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well new coil came today...that was not the problem. Now the whole thing is going back to Garrett...hopefully this will get resolved soon!

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sandman , what detector do you use?

Bigmatt, I mainly hunt the water and like my Excal, CZ-20 and Tiger Shark since I am can only hunt freshwater now. For land I use what ever I can lift.

Last edited:

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
Bigmatt, I mainly hunt the water and like my Excal, CZ-20 and Tiger Shark since I am can only hunt freshwater now. For land I use what ever I can lift.

I prefer cz20 for land. Hip mount the brain box and you got the lightest unit going and talk about hot its hotter than my eighth grade teacher.

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Garrett will get it fixed! They are top notch!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread