New Garrett ATX

rks1949

May 13, 2013
Lawrenceville,Il.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett AT Max, Nokta Simplex +, Nokta Legend ,Garrett Pro Pointer , Fisher F Point, Garrett Digging Tool, Gator Razor, Digging Tool, Sampson Digger, Get the Track Hoe! It's a deep one! :)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Lots of negative people here, but that is usual for people that don't create or make anything. Just easier to run your blow holes off.
The base package will be $2120.75. I'm in and will get one ASAP.

Screw Minelab and their expensive crap. Heres a new blog post about the Garrett ATX detector I found.
It depends on where you live,and what you hunt! If you live in gold country,it would be ok,or by the beach! For the "average" person detecting (relic hunting,or coinshooting) it wouldn't be the first choice!

AC500

Apr 30, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the look of the machine and that internal coil wire is awesome. Being able to collapse the machine so easily and not have to mess with the cable...
The military rugged appearance is nice too, although it has nothing to do with how well the machine may work :)
Not much gold in Indiana either (unless it's coins) :2barsgold:

I agree, I love the fact that it breaks down into self for a compact carry, the rugged looks and man that HUGE coil would be great swinging some and I mean some of the open areas where I hunt, but most of the time the 8x10DD is to big, so I'd opt for the smaller coil. Rhode Island is much like Indiana in respect to gold, I dont think we have any lol. Could I drop the 2K plus for it, sure I could, but would I? I think not.

It depends on where you live,and what you hunt! If you live in gold country,it would be ok,or by the beach! For the "average" person detecting (relic hunting,or coinshooting) it wouldn't be the first choice!

rks1949, Im on the coast and we have tons of here in RI, and I dont think Id go that way.

Last edited:

fongu

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you get a divorce, you sure can't afford one. They don't call it the high price of leaving for nothing. lol. I'm glad Garrett listened to their customers and critics and made some improvements, especially with the coil wire. It's out of my range, but I hope to get a sea hunter next year. Intended to get one this fall, but haven't been able to get out and find anything lately. HH.

Bearkat

Aug 12, 2007
Medford, Oregon
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500/Infinium LS/ Ace 250/ Scorpion Gold Stinger/AT Gold/AT Pro
Just like using an Infinium LS......if the user can't work it out :dontknow: obviously it must be the detector which is faulty :BangHead:

When the Infinium LS was first released over here, it had a price tag of $Au 3200.00, I hesitate to guess the price of the ATX when released on this side.
Maybe a holiday in Hawaii would be cheaper, perhaps one can sweet talk MashDetectors to send a package over ::) ...........:coffee2:

ivanll

I could talk to mashdetectors...they will prob send one out to ya...:occasion14:

BrisJoe

Dec 30, 2012
Brisbane
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, Whites Goldmaster, Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My on;y concern with the build quality is, that pivot point where the coil attaches to the shaft, is this an adjustable nut? or is it fixed up? As I can see it getting loose after a bit of use, especially if you fully fold it up each time after use.

Otherwise I will be looking foward to ordering one with the 20" coil

It will work well in the high mineral soils, as the delay in the release of it was becasue they had trouble getting it to work in the soils over here in Aus, so they just had to fine tune the firmware and then release it :D

chinchilla

Dec 18, 2009
Detector(s) used
Tesoro, White's
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Maybe Garrett made my future detector, I liked what I saw. Waiting to read the first unbiased reviews

Steve Herschbach

Apr 1, 2005
Nevada
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Screw Minelab and their expensive crap.

I am sure glad I own a GPX 5000. If it were not for Minelab setting the performance bar everyone else would not have to work so hard just trying to catch up. And while I am getting an ATX it sure is not to replace my GPX. I just need something I can dunk in the water. If I could get a GPX 5000 in a CTX 3030 housing I would be buying that instead.

Steve Herschbach

Apr 1, 2005
Nevada
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My on;y concern with the build quality is, that pivot point where the coil attaches to the shaft, is this an adjustable nut? or is it fixed up? As I can see it getting loose after a bit of use, especially if you fully fold it up each time after use.

Otherwise I will be looking foward to ordering one with the 20" coil

It will work well in the high mineral soils, as the delay in the release of it was becasue they had trouble getting it to work in the soils over here in Aus, so they just had to fine tune the firmware and then release it :D

What is with the rear coil attachment point? A 20" coil hanging out in front like that is an ergonomic nightmare. I guess it has to do with the integrated coil/rod/cable design but that is not going to be an easy thing to swing for long. Another detector that needs a harness and bungee. The little sling included is not going to cut it.

Farwalker

Aug 18, 2011
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Eagle Spectrum/6000-DI Pro-sl/Gold-Stinger/CZ7a/
ML750/Tm808/XLT-E/GTX2500/GB/GB2/Ml-Sov./
CZ3D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is built on the AML 1000 mine detector platform. Has some Garrett Infiniun features. 3 pkgs available based on coil choice. One offering includes all 3 coils.(Costa Mucho) Current AML 1000 (EBay) $600,00/$1500.00- Externally you can't tell the difference. Sucker is built like a tank. You can Google the AML 1000- lots of info & pictures. Personally I am looking @ the Military model to give it a shake down. I don't
think I can go wrong! It being a PI ,& I mostly Prospect? Would appreciate input once you look it over. I hope the $2000.00 + prices mentioned
is the 3 coil pkg. I can see maybe $999.00/$1500+ (Day Dreaming).

Ronzie

May 27, 2009
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw w/Garrett pinpointer

past machines - Minelab Explorer SE Pro/ Garrett GTI 2500 /Garrett GTAx1000

Steve Herschbach

Apr 1, 2005
Nevada
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I do not pay attention to product reports from others. I get it and try it myself. If I need it, I keep it, if not, I sell it. Small price to pay for getting educated. I share what I think but I could not give a fig if anyone else buys an ATX or not. Well, ok, that is not exactly true. I do want machines like this to succeed just so manufacturers will take chances and try new things. Kudos to Garrett for delivering something other than just another mid-frequency do-it-all VLF detector.

Relying on others for information and then accusing them of bias is rather uncalled for in my opinion. Obviously Garrett dealers are going to have nothing but positives to say. Then there are others who trash stuff never having laid a hand on it. Or others who truly do not like a machine for their own personal needs while another person may think it is the cat's meow. Throw in the old what works good in my ground may suck in your ground and at the end of the day you can just pick the opinion you are predisposed to believe because it says what you want to hear.

Anyway, I will get one to find out what I can do with it, in large part simply because I enjoy trying new detectors. I will report back on it, and anyone who thinks I am biased please just ignore me. Should I wait a few months so as to not be one of those dreaded first people in line?

BrisJoe

Dec 30, 2012
Brisbane
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, Whites Goldmaster, Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am jealous of you guys in the US, as Garrett Aust has set our price at $3999 for the deepseeker package and $3399 for the base model.
All US dealers have also been told that they will be penalised if they send any Garrett detectors to Aust, to people like me who don't want to pay the ripoff retail price of here if I can save $900 by buying from the US.

Now taking bets as to how long it will be before there are Chionese copies flooding Fleabay etc

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They make it look like you can distinguish an iron target real easy. If it does, it will be the first PI that actually lets you know the target is iron. Would make a great saltwater detector if it can read iron that easy. A big problem with PIs in the water is having to dig deep bobby pins.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They make it look like you can distinguish an iron target real easy. If it does, it will be the first PI that actually lets you know the target is iron. Would make a great saltwater detector if it can read iron that easy. A big problem with PIs in the water is having to dig deep bobby pins.

I think my Minelab F3 mine detector does that. I have only played with it a little but IIRC the sounds are different for Ferrous/nonFE targets and it's a PI.

JASinBTCT

Aug 20, 2013
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT MAX, Garrett AT Pro, Teknetics T2, Garrett Pro Pointer AT Z-Lynk, Garrett Pro Pointer AT, Garrett Pro Pointer, Deteknix X-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FYI, Kellyco's pre-order price for the ATX is now posted at $2,120.75

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
If you study the specs on the Recon Pro and the ATX, you will see that they are quite different. The ATX is a PI like the Infinium, which I have used for many years. The Infinium has limited discrimination, and I would never even consider using it in most places where I have used mt VLF detector. However, when I wanted depth in hunted out beaches or depth in hunted out woods searching for relics, the Infinium has served me well. If the ATX is an improvement over the Infinium, that would be a real bonus. I bet that the gold nugget hunters are watching this new detector.

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro

When hunting with the Infinium, most bobby pins are easy to ID. They give double bleeps, or give a moderate signal one way and quiet or null signal the other way. If the ATX has an iron ID, that is bonus!

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you study the specs on the Recon Pro and the ATX, you will see that they are quite different. The ATX is a PI like the Infinium, which I have used for many years. The Infinium has limited discrimination, and I would never even consider using it in most places where I have used mt VLF detector. However, when I wanted depth in hunted out beaches or depth in hunted out woods searching for relics, the Infinium has served me well. If the ATX is an improvement over the Infinium, that would be a real bonus. I bet that the gold nugget hunters are watching this new detector.
I know the Sea Hunter and Infinium have disc but I hear people say all the time that they really don't do a good job discriminating. We will see if this one is different. The ATX has an iron check button, that's different.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread