New Garrett ATX

Rogerv

Jan 25, 2013
Beltsville Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garret GTA-1000
Garrett Seahunter Mark II
Bounty Hunter (came as BOGO from Kellyco)
AT propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The new unit is the ATX-Extreme PI machine At $2400+ it better find it from 10' away dig it and put it in your pouch. The price is too extreme for me but you guys that have money to burn or nothing better to spend your money on go for it. One good thing it will have is Garrett customer service standing behind it. I have two Garrett machines but this one is too rich for me

melvin_it

Nov 22, 2006
South Italy
Detector(s) used
DeLeon; Vaquero; CX II with Treasure Hound; Tracker IV; BH3300; some chinese funny junk as MD1069:)
Just curious about performances...Let's see some review...for the price I would like something of definitive, as Minelab CTX wasn't.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The new unit is the ATX-Extreme PI machine At $2400+ it better find it from 10' away dig it and put it in your pouch. The price is too extreme for me but you guys that have money to burn or nothing better to spend your money on go for it. One good thing it will have is Garrett customer service standing behind it. I have two Garrett machines but this one is too rich for me
Price too extreme for me too.

602michael

Tenderfoot
Oct 15, 2012
Gilbert, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Minelab gpx5000/White's MTX300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
2500$ isn't too much for an avid hobbyist. If you spend more than 15 hours a week detecting; this machine will pay for itself in no time (if you know what you're doing).

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
2500$ isn't too much for an avid hobbyist. If you spend more than 15 hours a week detecting; this machine will pay for itself in no time (if you know what you're doing).
Just because something will pay for itself doesn't mean its not overpriced...it just means it will pay for itself.

BrisJoe

Dec 30, 2012
Brisbane
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, Whites Goldmaster, Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I contacted 1 of the Aussie guys in the Garrett video for his review of it. Here is his reply.

Hi guys, I asked Warren from NQ Explorers for some feedback and this is his reply.
This is the response to your request on the new ATX - fine to share this on the forum if you like mate - I have cleared it with Garrett.
Rick,
We were privileged to be involved with the Garrett team field testing the new ATX Pulse Induction metal detector in Australia.
This is a fantastic new piece of kit - built to military specifications (note that it is not the AML-1000, it just utilises the same casing). It has been tested and tuned in Australia by the Garrett Engineers, with particular attention to smooth performance in highly mineralized Aussie soils that we typically encounter in our goldfields.
The unique new design of the stock DD provides a really sensitive 'hot spot' on the coil for detecting very small gold. All in all a very rugged, quality build that will be great in our goldfields - particularly with the larger 20" monoloop coil which can cover a lot of ground when prospecting. The unit is well-balanced even with the big coil - it comes with a bungee sling so is very easy to swing.
The ATX is fully waterproof so keep detecting when it is raining - and economical to operate with the 8 AA batteries. It has a built-in speaker or you can use the headphones if you so desire. There will be more videos of the ATX coming soon with further details.
Happy Prospecting Everyone!
NQ Explorers
Warren and Colleen.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK, when it starts with "I have cleared it with Garrett" means you won't see a hint of a bad thought. NOT an objective review!

bigboar

Mar 3, 2011
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Makro Racer, Minelab Go-Find 40
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have never owned a pi machine but had been considering getting one to play around with. after seeing the atx I found myself wanting one just on looks alone. lol. After reading the atx looked like the recon I started looking and found a great deal one one. If its an upgrade to an infinium like I have read I would think it has to be a pretty decent pi. I am really curious to see how much difference there is between the recon and atx. The person who did the comparison between his infinium and recon said he is going to get an atx and compare them to help out people with the recon...

BrisJoe

Dec 30, 2012
Brisbane
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, Whites Goldmaster, Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As mentioned in my review above, the only thing the ATX has in common with the recon is the case, all the internals are new and different

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks like their line that they make for the military.

bigboar

Mar 3, 2011
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As mentioned in my review above, the only thing the ATX has in common with the recon is the case, all the internals are new and different

are you sure about that? I know the atx has motion mode and iron disc but I just saw where a tester on another forum said he got the best depth in his test qith the atx using non motion mode which sounds like he is using it just like a recon pro... I also did some looking around and the recon and atx large coil have the same part # 2234100. If they are completely different I dont see how the coils could interchange...

ATX
Garrett ATX Metal Detector Searchcoils

Recon(last page of pdf)
http://www.dyakogroup.com/images/2. Recon-pro_aml-1000.pdf

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
We had our hand on one in a relic hunt with Garrett a few weeks back. I can tell you the Garrett ATX Extreme | BigBoysHobbies is SUPER SENSITIVE to small things, especially relics. I cant be specific but it is amazing on gold nuggets, very impressive.

It will be awesome for places with open fields and bad or highly mineralized ground. Will be perfect for Culpepper VA.

It folds up very small and is impressive on the durability standpoint, very rugged.

They should be out soon. I would get in line if your a open field relic hunter or gold shooter! They are in huge demand! You will see why when tests start coming out.

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
are you sure about that? I know the atx has motion mode and iron disc but I just saw where a tester on another forum said he got the best depth in his test qith the atx using non motion mode which sounds like he is using it just like a recon pro... I also did some looking around and the recon and atx large coil have the same part # 2234100. If they are completely different I dont see how the coils could interchange... ATX Garrett ATX Metal Detector Searchcoils Recon(last page of pdf) http://www.dyakogroup.com/images/2.%20Recon-pro_aml-1000.pdf

BigBoar, while I don't have any details or confirmation that they are different, coils are interchangeable on other machines that are different.

AT Pro and AT Gold share coils, but have different features and frequency. Several Minelab units share coils on different machines, and Whites also shares coils between the DFX, VX3 and V3i.

Units should be released within the next 30 days, so hopefully we will all have answers soon.

Wayne

www.metaldetectingstuff.com

bigboar

Mar 3, 2011
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BigBoar, while I don't have any details or confirmation that they are different, coils are interchangeable on other machines that are different.

AT Pro and AT Gold share coils, but have different features and frequency. Several Minelab units share coils on different machines, and Whites also shares coils between the DFX, VX3 and V3i.

Units should be released within the next 30 days, so hopefully we will all have answers soon.

Wayne

www.metaldetectingstuff.com

Thanks wayne... i realize the atpro and atgold share coils but they are like cousins and price is very close between the two(I own both). Same with vx3 and v3i(I dont know about dfx)... and that is why I asked the question if he was sure they were completely different...I do relaize the recon pro is not a consumer machine and is not readily available for anyone to purchase. I own one though and should phrase it more like,,,,why would it be beneficial for someone who currently owns a recon to switch over to an atx?

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As per Garrett, The ATX Extreme coils are NOT compatible with any other detector including the Recon. It will physically connect to the Recon but it is NOT tuned correctly for the ATX.

bigboar

Mar 3, 2011
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As per Garrett, The ATX Extreme coils are NOT compatible with any other detector including the Recon. It will physically connect to the Recon but it is NOT tuned correctly for the ATX.

so how will they know which 38x50 cm coil they are sending out when both use part#2234100? see links in my above post....

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
so how will they know which 38x50 cm coil they are sending out when both use part#2234100? see links in my above post....

I cant answer that only that I asked this specific question to Garrett and that was their reply. They stressed to me this NOT the same as a Infinium or Recon at the hunt with them. I was impressed with it.

bigboar

Mar 3, 2011
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I cant answer that only that I asked this specific question to Garrett and that was their reply. They stressed to me this NOT the same as a Infinium or Recon at the hunt with them. I was impressed with it.

thanks bart.... I wouldnt expect you to have an answer and I am sure if you knew you would tell. I am sure we will find out if they do or not soon enough. I know garrett probably isnt real happy about some of the recons getting out in the market. I know when I called in to ask about some parts they didnt sound real eager to help. Someone else stated garrett would not repair one if it was in a consumers hands. I dont know how true that is and I dont know what the big deal would be...its still just a metal detector...anyhow, thanks for the reply and you wouldnt happen to have any special deals going on the propointer right now would you? shoot me a pm if you can get close to the old forums special ;)

rjtyree

Greenie
Sep 24, 2011
It's simple...they sold enough to the gov ... That they don't want ... the attractive surplus hitting the street and ....
clouding up the ATX picture without much reason technically.

Who needs that?

cheers,

Tye

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread