AT Pro speaker volume too low...

kaa

Oct 14, 2012
Milwaukee, WI
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Me & my boyfriend got our ATPro's on the same day, about mid-June this year, and mine started acting up. He uses his headphones a lot, I never do, so that might be the reason for it. The speaker on mine is now too quiet to hear. I've researched and found some similar problems on other forums that I'm not a member on but nothing here. We always hunt the same areas & times. It got quiet once, then was fine a day later, now it is quite permanent. We changed batteries, reset to factory, unplugged and replugged in the coil, nothing helps. It's still loud in the headphones, but those majorly hurt my ears, they don't seem made for ladies, and I really wish there was a standard headphone jack on it, but that's another issue :P So, I have to mail mine away, and see if it can be fixed. My bf and his ATP are very sad about this since we can't all get together now for however long it will take to fix :( Any idea how long Garrett takes to send stuff back? We did dis-assembly on it ourselves until we got to seeing the plastic sealed area over the speaker, and when we turned it on, while holding that clear plastic, the sound was dulled even more, until you take your finger off, then it's louder, but still not as loud as it used to be. I read one post saying something like that the thing gets turned in, but it seemed to me to be originally concave or curved inward or whatever, and the cover over it seems like it would prevent it from being pressed inward... anyway, there was no clear way to 'fix' that area, so we left it alone. Since bf uses the headphones on the same exact machine which goes the same places even, and I don't beat on mine or anything, I wonder if this is just a faulty design, and his would suffer it soon too... wondering how many other AT Pro's have speaker volume problems? & what did you do to fix it?

freddy78

Feb 25, 2013
Shelbyille TN
Detector(s) used
Delta 4000 and Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had the same issue with my speaker on my ATP and had to send it in a few months ago. Took about a week and half to get it back but the speaker is working great. Said on the repair slip they put an Ace 250 speaker in it and did a few other things as well. So far so good. They have excellent customer service and will fix it with no problem.

AC1955

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
New Hampshire & Maine
Detector(s) used
V3i, Excalibur II, White's M6, Coinmaster, Teknetics EurotekPro, White's Surfmaster PI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
KAA:

I, too, have trouble with headphones fitting my ears. What I do is use dollar store cheapo headphones (the kind with the foam ear pieces and a metal band that you can use with "Walkman" devices ) or cheapo ear buds. I went to RadioShack and bought an adapter (1/4-->1/8 is what to ask for) that makes the cheap headphones fit the detector's headphone jack. (Adapter costs under $5 and can be removed if you want to use the "real" headphones.) Doesn't matter that the cheap ones are "stereo" - the detector isn't. I like the cheap headphones especially in the summer as I find them to be cooler to wear, the ear buds are even cooler. I just bought a set of buds that have a volume control (for an MP3 player I believe) and they work awesome with my machine (I have a White's Coinmaster - husband uses ear buds with his M6 with no problems).

This is just my opinion and what I do. I know it won't fix your ATP speaker problem, but might be a solution to the "hurting" headphones.

Happy Hunting,
Anita

AC1955

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
New Hampshire & Maine
Detector(s) used
V3i, Excalibur II, White's M6, Coinmaster, Teknetics EurotekPro, White's Surfmaster PI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One more thing...using headphones of any type (the "real" ones or the cheapo solution...see above) will help your detector's batteries last a lot longer. Just wanted to let you know this.

Anita

dig kzoo

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2013
Kalamazoo co. MI
Detector(s) used
1 Minelab CTX3030, 2 Garrett AT Gold, Garrett ACE 350, 2 Bounty Hunter tracker IV,BH Junior, 2 Garrett pro pointers
a family adventure!!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My AT Gold is in the same boat. bad speaker, but otherwise works ok.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread