Constant chatter on Pro

Tucson Dan

Jan 30, 2013
Tucson, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 150, ACE 350, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just moved to the ATPro and really like it so far. Its a bit of a learning curve with respect to sounds when compared to my 350. I want to use the Pro Coin mode most of the time but all I get seems to be constant chatter sounds. I am searching dry AZ earth and it only sounds heavily on an object in Standard mode. Help me learn this thing please. Can it be a silent machine until I get a hit or is this my learning curve?

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Try doing an auto ground balance on an area of clean soil with no targets present. Then manually lower it by 5. If it still chatters on soil with no targets present lower the sensitivity until it calms down. You need to make sure there is no iron or junk in the area you are searching for it to be quiet. If there is anything in the ground then it is working properly and it will go off at the slightest piece of iron or junk with a high sensitivity setting. If you have high mineralized soil a proper ground balance is very important with any detector.

OP
OP
Tucson Dan

Tucson Dan

Jan 30, 2013
Tucson, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks. So it should not be chattering all the time? Good because I was trying to decipher hits mixed in with the bad stuff. I had the discr set at 30 also.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The ATP seems to be very sensitive to EMI. Electiical Interference Try lowering your sens to one bar and work up from there. You have to be away from Wi-Fi routers, cell phone towers, electrical dog fences and Security Systems. Try changing you frequency to get rid of the chatter. This is why I don't like the AT PRO. But at least the AT PRO allows you to change freq. I have many detectors that operate steady as a rock that even a newbie could use with a smile. We live in a more electrical world today and anything can set the detector crazy.

badpenny

Mar 28, 2013
NE PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ground balance often, make sure you have your coil wrapped correctly too. I run my wire up about a foot before I start winding it around the shaft and that really made mine quiet. Also, I will ground balance often and if need be manually do it until it quiets down. Good Luck!

Potts

Oct 13, 2010
U.P. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Re-boot the unit every time batteries are installed and coils are changed, dust and dirt can accumulate in the coil protector cap remove and clean it if one is used. Call Garrett and tell them your problem you may have a bad coil.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tucson Dan

Tucson Dan

Jan 30, 2013
Tucson, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well, I took your advice (s) and reset it, did a ground balance, and turned down sensitivity. Its now almost chatter free. Thank you all for your help.

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great Dan, glad to hear it! Now go out and get the goods and post up some pics!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions