Batteries

Potts

Oct 13, 2010
U.P. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My detector uses four aa batteries and my pinpointer uses one 9 volt. My sons detector uses two 9 volts and his pinpointer uses one 9 volt. My new headset coming uses four aaa batteries. I presently use rechargeable a for my detector and am picking a charger up this weekend that charges 9 volt and all the rest. Yeah the initial layout will cost me about 100 bucks butt hats cheap if you consider i would go through ten bucks of batteries in a week detecting.

I'm considering moving into 9 volt rechargeables, mainly for the Garrett Pro pointer, I also have a few other items around the house that uses them. I'm sick of buying batteries....Keep us posted on what product you decided to buy, I'll do the same....

gerryk

Jan 20, 2013
Orland Park
Detector(s) used
Minelab X Terra 705, Bounty Hunter Pro 505, Garrett Pro pointer, Pro swing 45, TDK WR 700 wireless headphones, leschee digger, green canvas mil surplus messenger bag as finds bag and brown bomb#2 to
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I already have some energizer rechargeable a in aa and aaa and will get more aaa and 9 volt of the same. They carry the small chargers, as and aaa at the local Home Depot and he bigger charger and 9 volts at Walmart.

Potts

Oct 13, 2010
U.P. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I already have some energizer rechargeable a in aa and aaa and will get more aaa and 9 volt of the same. They carry the small chargers, as and aaa at the local Home Depot and he bigger charger and 9 volts at Walmart.

I just ordered 2 x AccuPower 9 Volt 300 mAh Rechargeables and a TN141 2-Bay 9V Smart Battery Charger from Amazon for $33.44, I really like those AA eneloop xx 2500mah batteries they run about $16.00 for a set of 4, I also use 4 Energizer AA from WalMart but I found they need to be charged more often.

Ronzie

May 27, 2009
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw w/Garrett pinpointer

past machines - Minelab Explorer SE Pro/ Garrett GTI 2500 /Garrett GTAx1000
I'm considering moving into 9 volt rechargeables, mainly for the Garrett Pro pointer, I also have a few other items around the house that uses them. I'm sick of buying batteries....Keep us posted on what product you decided to buy, I'll do the same....

I prefer rechargeables when a detector takes 8 AA's. My GTI 2500 was a pain in the butt on batteries.
But for 9 volt I prefer just buying batteries. I put in a brand new 9 volt in my pin pointer in April and it's still going and I have 125 hours of detecting in this year so far. My Outlaw is still on the first battery with an insane 72 hours on it.

Potts

Oct 13, 2010
U.P. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I prefer rechargeables when a detector takes 8 AA's. My GTI 2500 was a pain in the butt on batteries.
But for 9 volt I prefer just buying batteries. I put in a brand new 9 volt in my pin pointer in April and it's still going and I have 125 hours of detecting in this year so far. My Outlaw is still on the first battery with an insane 72 hours on it.

125 hours is pretty good, using the Pro pointer I've dug approx. 1500 coins just in clad coins since May and I changed out batteries a number of times, seems that when 9 volt gets low the Pro Pointer starts sputtering and spitting. Myself I'm just sick of buying batteries.

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Y'all might try Battreies Plus .com or their stores,I've bought & have Nuon rechargeables AA,pack of 4 runs about $12.

justdon

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2013
Florida
Detector(s) used
Teknetics delta4000/Tesoro compadre/Garrett ace 250/Garrett propointer/Garrett at pro/Tesoro silver umax
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just a question.How long do rechargeable batteries last before you have to replace them?

George (MN)

May 16, 2005
I think rechargeable batteries have similar shelf life as good alkalines, maybe 8-10 years, if 1,000-1,500 charges doesn't happen first. It is probably best to use a charger that takes maybe 4 hours to get best life from NiMH rechargeables. I really burnt up lots of rechargeables using a 15 minute or 30 minute charger. I have a charger that does AA, AAA, C, D, up to 4 on those or 2 9 volt, It's an overnight charger, I think brand is Vanco(?), cost me about $20 including shipping maybe 7-8 years ago. I have some 9V rechargeables I got off eBaY maybe 7-8 years ago, from a seller in China (not sure they have a brand, label is green) & they're still going strong. Some online sellers offer "Tenergy" brand 9V rechargeables 10 for $40, same price as Walgreens wants for alkalines!

For non-rechargeable AAs, I get Ray-o-Vac 48 packs from Menard's, about $13. Made in USA & lasts as long as Duracell or Energizer, according to the box info. I've got some of those pre-charged Eneloops, which might be better for those who don't detect so often, about $20 for 8 from Amazon. A while back on eBay a seller had Duracell 9 V alkalines 24 for $36 shipped. Some sellers on eBay have Energizer rechargeables much cheaper than local stores, including shipping. Best wishes & happy hunting, George (MN)

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The last set of batteries i used in my ATP lasted about 60 hours of hunting and 3 months idle when I didn't hunt over the summer. I just replaced them earlier week and this set of batteries is already down to almost 1/2. I been using energizer and had good luck until now. I just replaced the battery in my propointer and it won't shut off once I hit a target and move it away. I then shut it off and when I turn it on again it does the same thing. I am thinking maybe I don't have a solid connection

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions