Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I tried lithium batteries in my AT Gold. lasted two months then went dead in two minutes. Has anyone had experience with these? The machine sounds very differently with them, at least to my ears.Had to relearn the sounds. Don't think I will use them again. Any discussion here???? Best to All. Pete

I used to use those in my ACE 250...But hell 2 months is pretty good right?...Im not sure how much you go out. I use the plain jane Duracells and dont have any issues....I change them about once every 3 weeks thou

Potts

Oct 13, 2010
U.P. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use 4 Sanyo Eneloop XX Rechargeable 2500 mAh and 4 Energizer AA NiMH Rechargeable Batteries from WallysWorld, don't recall the mAH on those and a La Crosse smart charger, works for me.
image-3067426988.png

bzbadger

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2013
Lower Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD II, Garrett Ace 150 & 350, Fisher ID Excel, Fisher coinstrike, Fisher Cz6, Fisher Gemini II, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett GTI 1500,Teknetiks omega 8000, Nokta Fors Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I tried those batteries and expected them to do as they promised of lasting 6 times longer than normal but they were done in no time. I bought some crappy dollar general batteries since these went dead on me and hadn't planned on it and they've been working for weeks now, way longer than those 4 batteries for $9 and yes it made it act weird too. I won't be buying them again.

Get your facts first, then distort them as you please-Mark Twain

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equnox 800... 2 Garrett Pro Pointers, Lesche, and an 18" mini-T- handle and a 31 inch Samson digging tools
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I buy large paks of Duracell Copper Tops. I hunt 2-3 times a week, with my ATP. Never really kept tract of hours od use, but they last pretty good. Last week hunted with one bar of battery, back to the Jeep, and still found targets at 6+ inches. I think I've been changing to soon, outa fear!

Ronzie

May 27, 2009
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw w/Garrett pinpointer

past machines - Minelab Explorer SE Pro/ Garrett GTI 2500 /Garrett GTAx1000
Question for you AT Pro/Gold guys.
I'm getting an AT Gold this winter and was wondering how long the batteries last on average? I've read the manual and it says,
Expect 20 to 40 hours of operation depending on​
battery type and quality.

I know my Outlaw doesn't have a display so it saves on juice and I just hit the 70 hour mark on my first single 9 volt. The manual says 10-20 hours lol.
My GTI 2500 would go around 30 hours average on 8 AA's.

WVARelics

Jun 21, 2012
Winchester, Va
Detector(s) used
Garrett Groundhog, AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Question for you AT Pro/Gold guys.
I'm getting an AT Gold this winter and was wondering how long the batteries last on average? I've read the manual and it says,
Expect 20 to 40 hours of operation depending on​
battery type and quality.

I know my Outlaw doesn't have a display so it saves on juice and I just hit the 70 hour mark on my first single 9 volt. The manual says 10-20 hours lol.
My GTI 2500 would go around 30 hours average on 8 AA's.
20-40 hours seems right to me. I usually change them before they get to one bar, usually at 2 bars. I use the "2 bar" batteries in my daughters toys.

WVARelics

Jun 21, 2012
Winchester, Va
Detector(s) used
Garrett Groundhog, AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I tried lithium batteries in my AT Gold. lasted two months then went dead in two minutes. Has anyone had experience with these? The machine sounds very differently with them, at least to my ears.Had to relearn the sounds. Don't think I will use them again. Any discussion here???? Best to All. Pete

I noticed with cheap off brand batteries things were a little different also. I've tried rechargeables, Sunbeam, Diehard, Energizer and Duracell. Duracell seemed to last the longest and not do anything weird, haven't used anything else since for over a year.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I buy large paks of Duracell Copper Tops. I hunt 2-3 times a week, with my ATP. Never really kept tract of hours od use, but they last pretty good. Last week hunted with one bar of battery, back to the Jeep, and still found targets at 6+ inches. I think I've been changing to soon, outa fear!

Its funny you say that...because the first few gold rings i found were with 1 bar and 1 bar blinking...But you are dead right..i was still hitting signals 6+ easy..

Sometimes i forgot that I only have 2 bars left on my machine...and when i go back out the next time, its full for about 15 minutes..but can still last for another few hours..

Potts

Oct 13, 2010
U.P. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I like eneloop 2500mAh rechargeables the best, using a smart charger. I hate buying battery's.

gerryk

Jan 20, 2013
Orland Park
Detector(s) used
Minelab X Terra 705, Bounty Hunter Pro 505, Garrett Pro pointer, Pro swing 45, TDK WR 700 wireless headphones, leschee digger, green canvas mil surplus messenger bag as finds bag and brown bomb#2 to
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got energizer rechargeable batteries and have had good luck with them. We use them in the remotes for our rc cars and also in some controllers for my sons video games. Saves a bunch of money on batteries.

Tipton

Aug 26, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Alkaline batteries have 1.5 volts and rechargeables are 1.2. Alkaline drops to 1.2 volt when at 50% of its charge. Rechargeables hold 1.2 volts almost the entire discharge cycle.

My question is does the extra voltage give a better signal like it does a radio?

gerryk

Jan 20, 2013
Orland Park
Detector(s) used
Minelab X Terra 705, Bounty Hunter Pro 505, Garrett Pro pointer, Pro swing 45, TDK WR 700 wireless headphones, leschee digger, green canvas mil surplus messenger bag as finds bag and brown bomb#2 to
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didnt notice a difference on my detector.

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would never use the lithium because they are higher voltage and I don't want to experiment to see if they burn out the detector or shorten it's life span. One guy was using them and his detector crapped out. And like the one poster said, they do not last 6 times as long, only about twice as long and they cost several times more than alkaline type. I don't even like the rechargables because you always have to tend them and they don't last as long, lose their charge even when not being used and will be off four bars in no time. That's a pain. I get alkalines at Costco four for a dollar. And they last about thirty hours in a city park. If you go prospecting, there are usually a lot less targets and the battery life is much longer. Someone said if you run in Iron Audio all the time it will reduce the battery life.

gerryk

Jan 20, 2013
Orland Park
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I cant say how long rechargeable a last in the x terra because i never ran them down all the way. I changed them before they reached hallway down and that was 10-15 hours of detecting.

bigmatt132

Sep 1, 2013
Saginaw, MI
Detector(s) used
GARRETT , Ace 250, Ace 350, Currently AT Pro
Garrett ProPointer
Lesche, Digger, Sampson
I have used Duracell , and energizer's in my at pro and both seem to get around 25-30hrs without the headphones . I been buying the energizer 20 packs at Walgreens for $14

Adrian SS

Dec 7, 2008
Canberra
Detector(s) used
LST, BDHI,Infinium,Sov XS,6000DI Pro SL,Scorpion,V-SAT,Spectrum XLT,Gold Spear,Scorpion,Sand Shark, Compadre,Sierra Madre,Safari, SDC2300, Sea Hunter,CS4PI,TDI OZ Pro, Vallon VMH3CS. Gardiner 202A
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

I have yet to have a good reliable run with Lithium AAs.

Often one battery will go dead in the pack, they donot like constant heavy current drain. One day they can be fine and show full charge and the next there is a dead cell in the pack, and I mean dead, dead. I am not convinced these batteries are cost effective. They are expensive and definately donot last as long as the spec sheets say they will.
By far the best AAs I have used in my metal detectors are the Duracell copper top alkalines (Not the Chinese look alike Duracell copper tops).

Potts

Oct 13, 2010
U.P. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have yet to have a good reliable run with Lithium AAs.

Often one battery will go dead in the pack, they donot like constant heavy current drain. One day they can be fine and show full charge and the next there is a dead cell in the pack, and I mean dead, dead. I am not convinced these batteries are cost effective. They are expensive and definately donot last as long as the spec sheets say they will.
By far the best AAs I have used in my metal detectors are the Duracell copper top alkalines (Not the Chinese look alike Duracell copper tops).

Using a smart charger is a big plus with any re-chargeable battery.

gerryk

Jan 20, 2013
Orland Park
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My detector uses four aa batteries and my pinpointer uses one 9 volt. My sons detector uses two 9 volts and his pinpointer uses one 9 volt. My new headset coming uses four aaa batteries. I presently use rechargeable a for my detector and am picking a charger up this weekend that charges 9 volt and all the rest. Yeah the initial layout will cost me about 100 bucks butt hats cheap if you consider i would go through ten bucks of batteries in a week detecting.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread