Coil sizes on AT Gold

pistol-pete

Nov 4, 2012
Custer County, CO. at 9300 Ft.
Detector(s) used
1970 Garrett Hunter, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett AT Gold, Garrett pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've never read anything about this! I hunt large fields in this old 1870 mining area and found the 5x8 coil slower to cover large ground, so got the 8.5x11 coil. Cover ground a lot faster and to my surprise it goes at least 30% deeper than the small coil, at least in air test. small coil got nickel at 7", large one at 10"...Quarter 7" and 12" respectfully. Any one noticed this??? All we hear about is how great the 5x8 coil is, well to this user the 8.5x11 is much better and goes deeper. Would enjoy hearing from you guys out there!!!

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Air tests are good but not accurate. I LOVE the 5x8! The separation is amazing and still gets great depth for it size!

sask hunter

Aug 26, 2013
yorkton saskatchewan
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter tro/bfo
ace 250
teknetics 4000
atp pro
minelab ctx 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have the atp pro and it came stock with the bigger coil , I found it was hitting to many targets under the coil at same time, yes it did have great depth , so I switched to the 5x8 and have left it on, I've found coins at 7" deep, , I think I will put the big coil back on when I hit the beaches again next spring, but for most part iam happy with depth on small coil and it does separate targets so much better

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

rc2125

Feb 15, 2010
Indiana/Michigan border
Detector(s) used
~ XP Deus II & Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got both coils when I bought my AT Gold. Used the 5x8 for awhile, then switched to the 8.5x11, ....the 5x8 hasn't been on it in a long time. The larger 8.5x11 seperates really close targets and sorts through heavy trash areas really well. With the bigger coil it goes deeper than all my previous detectors in the grounds around here and the iron audio is indispensible. If I was hunting narrow torn up sidewalks, really small areas or spots with shallow targets surrounded tons and tons of nails I'd probably use the 5x8 more, but I believe the bigger coil sniffs out a really high percentage of the coins/targets hiding near trash objects or amongst nails/etc.

Both coils will hit on very small gold and will hit on some odd previously "detectorproof" targets that my other detectors won't or wouldn't hit on at all. The 5x8 will hit strong on very very small gold, like half of an earing backer with no problem.

I like this AT Gold better than all the other detectors I own or have owned(CTX 3030, Fisher F75, F75 ltd, Dual Field, Vista Gold, Etrac, Excal II's, etc), it's a fantastic machine, would be better if I could dive with it ....only reason I keep an excal around still.

Last edited:

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
So you've had an E trac b4 I see. I have an AT pro and was thinking of upgrading to an ETrac. After hearing how much you like the AT gold over the E trac I'm not so sure now. The AT pro will find small gold as well, maybe not quite as small as the AT Gold but I've heard guys have prospected with it and have been successful. What don't you like about the etrac over the At gold? I've heard the Etrac can find silver in places people have hunted over and over.

raymondj

Jun 11, 2013
Batemans Bay NSW AU
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II ...Minelab SDC2300... Minelab CTX3030 and for the missus a Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey Pistol Pete..I have the NEL Hunter coil on my AT Gold... and I rate it very highly for depth...nice and quite...wouldnt use anything else on the goldfield here in AU when going over the mullock heaps and the old reefs.

rc2125

Feb 15, 2010
Indiana/Michigan border
Detector(s) used
~ XP Deus II & Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So you've had an E trac b4 I see. I have an AT pro and was thinking of upgrading to an ETrac. After hearing how much you like the AT gold over the E trac I'm not so sure now. The AT pro will find small gold as well, maybe not quite as small as the AT Gold but I've heard guys have prospected with it and have been successful. What don't you like about the etrac over the At gold? I've heard the Etrac can find silver in places people have hunted over and over.

PM sent

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

The E-Trac is AWESOME on silver and rings! Yes it is a Silver sucker! lol

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread