Pro-Pointer starts smoking

Metal.detective

Oct 29, 2012
Roanoke Rapids NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I was out yesterday detecting for a bit and had my Pro-Pointer go up in smoke on me. Don't get me wrong I'm a big fan of these things. This may help some of you if you see yours start acting funny. A battery usually lasts me 8 or 9 months in mine. I just put a new battery in 3 months ago. When I left my house yesterday I checked the battery and it was dead. I put in a new one and away I go. After a 2 mile hike I get to my spot...dig a target...get the Pro-Pointer out...boom...it's dead again. I changed batteries in the field thinking I put in a bad battery but I had just opened a new box of 9v. 15 minutes pass. I dig another target...pull out the Pro-Pointer...she's dead again. Again I change batteries. After about 20 more minutes I dig another target get the Pro-Pointer out and the thing is dead again. I switched out batteries and started heading back to my car. I was mad by now. I climbed a pretty steep hill and when I got to the top I put my hand on my side where my Pro-Pointer stays. I had on padded leather gloves...not a cheap pair either...and I could feel heat through my gloves. I pulled out my Pro-Pointer and from the battery cap down to the switch area was hot. I opened the battery cap and was met with a puff of smoke. The battery was so hot I had to drop it even with gloves on. Called Garrett right then...and thank God it's under warranty. Sent it back yesterday so I've got 10 days to wait. Just for the record...my Pro-Pointer never been wet or dropped. I treat it with care. It has been to the beach with me several times but never exposed to salt water. Anyone one else had this problem? Hope this may help some of you before yours goes up in smoke. Good luck on your hunts and be safe.

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Never heard of that one yet. You had a dead short across the battery for sure.

OP
OP
Metal.detective

Metal.detective

Oct 29, 2012
Roanoke Rapids NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah it was a first for me too. I haven't heard of anyone else having this problem.

sask hunter

Aug 26, 2013
yorkton saskatchewan
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter tro/bfo
ace 250
teknetics 4000
atp pro
minelab ctx 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Never heard of that as well , wow new meaning to up in smoke !! I just got my replacement back because it was sounding off if I put any slight amount of pressure on the tip , my new replacement has a wierd sound compared to my old one and not as Loud but vibrates like crazy

D.A.D.D.-Dads against daughters dating

OP
OP
Metal.detective

Metal.detective

Oct 29, 2012
Roanoke Rapids NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Garrett said they were gonna do a total overhaul on mine. It's funny you say that. Mine is a year old and is loud and vibrates softly. My mom bought her one. She loves the hobby as much if not more than me. She bought her's about 5 months or so ago and her's is not as loud and it vibrates a whole lot stronger than mine.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I put tape over the speaker hole (several layers wrapped around)
it vibrates better now, no dirt can get in the speaker,
I can still hear it over my headphones, but hopefully
don't alert the world, I got a target :laughing7:

as for your batteries smokin' , Dumb question.
Your sure you didn't reverse the battery ?

other then that, I'd guess must have been a crossed wire :dontknow:

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can tell you, I DONT really take care of mine that much, in fact i have had them get so covered in clay and mud, that i had to wash it off under the sink. So i know even a little moisture woudnt do that. Are you sure the Batteries are Dead? and its not just a connection problem..>either way it needs ot be fixed...but ALL of mine have connection issues

OP
OP
Metal.detective

Metal.detective

Oct 29, 2012
Roanoke Rapids NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I triple checked the to make sure I didn't put the battery in wrong. Not a dumb question. I had thought that myself. I'll have to take your tip and use it when mine gets back from Garrett. I'm out here digging now in some confederate trenches and the one my Mom has just started acting up. The thing is beeping like crazy and it isn't even near any metal. Fresh batteries in her's.

OP
OP
Metal.detective

Metal.detective

Oct 29, 2012
Roanoke Rapids NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds right to me too. Still haven't gotten it back from Garrett yet.

OP
OP
Metal.detective

Metal.detective

Oct 29, 2012
Roanoke Rapids NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ohhhhh yeah I know. They should have it back to me this week if the weather doesn't hold it up. Called them about it while I was still out in the field. Got an RMA in an email in less than 5 and had it away that day. GREAT CUSTOMER SERVICE!

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
You sure would not want that to happen in the house when you are not around ….. I think i will start keeping mine in a metal bucket on the cement floor in the Garage...

OP
OP
Metal.detective

Metal.detective

Oct 29, 2012
Roanoke Rapids NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keppy that's an idea that I had not even thought about. Great idea. That's scary now that I think about it. Jeeeez!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread