9 by 12 concentric for AT Pro

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
creade
It might be a little better with the crimp on style bottle caps...and maybe help some with EMI.... but not much depth will be gained .
Gary

Last edited:

ThTx

Dec 19, 2006
Combine
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Master Hunter CX Plus, Teknetics G2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it were me, I'd spend the extra $8 - $10 and get the 5' x 8" DD coil instead. Just my opinion.

Ed-D

Jan 1, 2011
North Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max and Pro, NEL Hunter Coil, ACE Apex for the coast
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with previous comments. If you are hunting spots that are unusually trash free, my guess is the gain in depth will be minimal, but I have to point out that is my guess. I have no experience with the slightly larger coil and who knows, maybe there is a target down deep that you skipped over and the larger coil might help bring the signal in better to where you would dig it. But I am fairly confident in saying this would only apply in a spot that is extremely trash free, which I rarely ever encounter a spot like that in which I find the good stuff. The good stuff is always found where there has been lots of activity and that means trash.

For me depth is secondary to my ability to differentiate between signals and in the more trashy spots the smaller 5x8 coil will help do that.

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Ed-D

Jan 1, 2011
North Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max and Pro, NEL Hunter Coil, ACE Apex for the coast
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Being a smaller coil, wouldn't you lose depth ?

I'm not an engineer, but my understanding is that the smaller coils simply concentrate the magnetic field to make it a narrower beam perpendicular to the ground. A bigger coil will have a bigger search circumference around the coil parallel to the ground, where the smaller coil will have a smaller circumference parallel to the ground, but between the two the depth of the field doesn't change much. The smaller coils takes more effort to cover a section of ground for sure, but the depth isn't really effected. This is why the smaller coils work good in trashy spots. I have the Super-Sniper coil and the best way I can describe using that is to say it is like painting the ground with a pencil. But I have found some deep targets with it in very trashy places.

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You lose around 2 inches with the 5x8.....but benefit greatly in trash....also pinpoints great! And is ALOT easier on the arm than the big coil. Dont have any info on the concentric, but have heard the same as posted above, and i personaly prefer DD coils. Get the 5x8 first! I have a 10.5 inch quarter in my test garden and this seems to be right at the difference in the coils. The stock coil will hit it from all directions, not great ID but diggable.....The 5x8 will not hit it. Maybe it would in different soil, but not here. But i would say the 5x8 will find 90% or better of the coins you encounter since most coins are less than 8 inches.

Last edited:

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Being a smaller coil, wouldn't you lose depth ?

Yes you will lose a bit of depth but the separation you gain is WELL worth it. I only use the big 8.5 coil if I am in a wide open clean field trying to cover lots of ground.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ATP with teh 5x8 is the only way to run that machine....I dont think I'll ever take it off....Depth is not an issue either

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
I agree with Diggin-n-Dumps and Bart. Since I put on my 5/8 coil, it hasn't come off. I love it!! Easier to pin point when you're chest deep in water. Can swing it all day everyday! Has great separation and I haven't noticed much diff in depth. I only use the 5/8 at the beach and in the surf also. The stock coil I will change if I decide to hit a field. 5/8 coil is awesome for the woods also!

OP
OP
creade

creade

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
n.h.
Detector(s) used
DEUS,root slayer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I run in pro mode and pretty much dig every target I come across, as there are a lot of relics in my area's. If I used the smaller coil , would I get more solid hits that I normally would pass on?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread