Metal Detecting

ThTx

Dec 19, 2006
Combine
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Master Hunter CX Plus, Teknetics G2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To use the "Auto Ground Balance", you push and hold the GND BAL button while pumping the coil 1 - 8 inches above the ground. When the audio response has reached the minimum it is going to, release the button and start hunting.

Hope this helps.

OP
OP
Old Dude

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
To use the "Auto Ground Balance", you push and hold the GND BAL button while pumping the coil 1 - 8 inches above the ground. When the audio response has reached the minimum it is going to, release the button and start hunting.

Hope this helps.
Isn't this how you manually ground balance? I thought auto occurred when you turned it on? Thanks for your post.

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Isn't this how you manually ground balance? I thought auto occurred when you turned it on? Thanks for your post.

No Old Dude, it really doesn't "auto ground balance" per say. You have to manually hold the button in and pump the coil. Then it does it's thing to ground balance electronically to the mineralized soil. If you haven't been doing this you are loosing a lot of depth and targets and the chatter can make it useless at times. Ground balancing correctly before you start is the most important step of detecting.

OP
OP
Old Dude

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks to you 2 for clearing that up for me. Info is very much appreciated!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Just another question on ground balancing..when water hunting do you balance the coil under the water or above it? When I try to balance with the coil submerged it will keep signalling off sounds as I pump it up and down in the water. But if I ground balance out of the water, right on shore it runs smooth for water hunting.

ThTx

Dec 19, 2006
Combine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just another question on ground balancing..when water hunting do you balance the coil under the water or above it? When I try to balance with the coil submerged it will keep signalling off sounds as I pump it up and down in the water. But if I ground balance out of the water, right on shore it runs smooth for water hunting.

When I ground balance in water, I do it manually. Somewhere between 0 - 20 for saltwater when I go to Galveston. Usually around 15-17 seems to work best for me.

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I had no problem ground balancing at Myrtle Beach in the water but there is no black sand there and mine ran smooth as silk in water and wet or dry sand. In fresh water it balances very easy under water. If your not balancing to the mineralized area you are hunting you will not have the proper ground balance to hunt at the full potential if the machine.

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
When I try to auto ground balance pumping the coil up and down submerged in fresh water it will kee beeping and signalling while I'm pumping the coil.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I try to auto ground balance pumping the coil up and down submerged in fresh water it will kee beeping and signalling while I'm pumping the coil.
This means your unstable and it might be from another detector near by to cell phone towers. Try lowering sens while GB. If the thing keeps beeping you own a dud Garrett. Send it in for a new coil, you might have one of the older coils. Either way Garrett will send it back fixed.

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Just bought a new 5/8 coil and it does the same thing as the stock. Both ringing as I'm pumping under water. After I release the ground balance button and and go into a hunting mode it's fine, runs stable. Ground balancing on dry or wet ground is no problem.

ThTx

Dec 19, 2006
Combine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I probably shouldn't even ask this, but is your cable snug around the shaft? And how fast are you pumping it in the water?

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Yep snug wrapped around the shaft. I pump just as I would on dry land. Just a normal steady not fast, up and down motion. As soon as I click off the GB the ringing immediately stops. It can hunt in the water fine and super stable. Just when I hit the GB button and try to pump it, theirs a steady ringing with the up and down motion. Should I just do it manually then to proper set the GB?? What is a good GB # for fresh water for the AT?

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's not the water that you need to balance out, it's the soil your hunting in under it. Unless you have highly mineralized water or something odd. Are you sure there is not a piece of iron or trash near the spot you are trying to GB at? Does it do the same thing in all the fresh water places you have hunted?

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Yup doesn't matter which fresh water lake. Always the same when auto GB'ing. Made sure no metal objects under my coil. If I stop pumping the coil in the water, it stops ringing. I'm not finding any problem hunting. Just wondered if anyone else's did this when they try to balance up and down under water.

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I manual ground balance in water by pumping coil and lowering or adding. I hardly ever auto ground balance anymore. Make sure you are not ground balancing over metal either.

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Does your AT Pro ring off as your pumping the coil under water?? I always check to see if there is any metal under my coil b4 GB'ing

golden sluice

Dec 16, 2013
next to disneyland
Detector(s) used
Thanks Kellyco, and Garrett:smile:... I love my AT gold metal detector!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Your detector should have come with an instructional dvd... it talks about how to grou d balance your NEW Garrett atp.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread