atpro notching

dandut46

Nov 21, 2013
ma
Detector(s) used
Atpro ,etrac,t2se
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When you watch Garrett on notch they say its for knowing the target id your looking for .like a ring you lost.now I no notching hides good targets but its a feature I paid for and for this I want to use.l have managed to block a big iron nut and pic up a quarter . I plan on more test to see if I can block a pull tab and pic up a quarter like if the tab was right above the coin,let's say three inch.you would pic the tab but not get the coin,well not accurate.l no it would block good stuff to but I'm talking abut pull tab infested areas.it seemed Garrett does not have much faith in it.anyone else use it ? Sorry if this topic been played out . I'm new and did not read every

pkb

Feb 10, 2013
Dallas
Detector(s) used
Two Garrett AT PRO's, two Garrett pro pointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you want to notch out pull tabs you would have to notch out like from 50-70 as tabs come up in a wide range. I do that in extremely trashy areas if I'm just messing around. But a tab will hide a quarter. I hunt in pro zero iron set at 40 . But if you want to just cherry pick, notch every thing out up to 80. Found some silver doing this. Any detector will have a problem picking a coin up under a tab

Last edited:

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also notching out pull tabs will stop you from finding over 90% of the gold rings. White gold also comes up in the foil range and those ladies rings will have ice.

OP
OP
D

dandut46

Nov 21, 2013
ma
Detector(s) used
Atpro ,etrac,t2se
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The problem I have is if your the type to dig everything and its a trashy you could be there awhile and the more ground you cover the more chance to find good targets. I was just thinking that in a perfect world you could notch out everything but gold.l know gold rings come in different ids, but there are common ones say 40 to 60. Its just a different approach.if people dont use it why put it there in case you have this stupid scenario that would probably never happen.I'm not not knocking the unit I no its good and bad points,and the price is nice .let's say you took the notching out what feature would you have instead .maybe a light. Well I'm still going to do test with it maybe make a video .

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi dandut, you can notch out any VDI's that you do not want to hear and it will work fine. The problem is a tab and a coin on top of each other does not ring in as a tab or a coin anymore. Sometimes you can pick the good tones out of the trash but you need to realize that 2 different compositions of metal together can ring up as something completely different. Practice and a lot of digging at first will allow you to better guess what is going on. A coin spill can be a real head scratcher sometimes, it's all over the place on the VDI. Good luck!

relicswinger

Jun 19, 2008
When you watch Garrett on notch they say its for knowing the target id your looking for .like a ring you lost.
There are a lot of things you can do with notching. My primary use for it to notch out "zincolns" when there are so many of them that I'm tired of digging them up. With them notched out I no longer get a tone when it sees a copper plated zinc penny.
To use notching in the opposite way, when I want to look only for gramma's lost ring without any other distractions, I notch out all of the notches and leave only the ones that will show me the ring.
Some other thoughts about notching; when I notch out the "zincolns" I might also be notching out Indian Head Pennies. So notching is both good and bad but after my 30th "zincoln" I'll gamble on not losing very much good stuff.
Probably the most important thing to do is to ground balance before you start scanning the ground. Without the ground balance the AT-Pro is unable to ignore the ground and it will give you a fit with false signals...
8-) Have fun out there!

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I very seldom notch out anything....even in trashy areas. Pull tabs are going to be a mid tone on the ATP, if you dont want to dig them just ignore the midtones and listen for the high tones. This way i can always look at the VDI numbers and decide what to do. You will also notch your nickels out with your tabs. If the vdi is stable and 50-53, i will dig it since that very well could be a nickel. Also those "mixed signals" mentioned above will still be heard. But all in all if we pass on anything, it could be a mistake...Also, some of my favorite non-coin finds were mid-tones.

Dimendave

Nov 27, 2012
Central Fl.
Detector(s) used
Garret ATP Whites TDI SL.
Fisher CZ-21. Minelab Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My first 2 silvers and 1st Buffalo Nickel plus 3 wheats where a pocket spill which I passed on digging several times with my 8x11 coil because the readings where all over the place. After putting a 5x8 coil on and going over the same spot I finally got a steady reading of a 82 and that's why I dug it and how I got my first on 3 accounts. Multiple targets will really give you crazy readings!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread