Best way to pinpoint

shen13

Nov 11, 2013
N.C.
Detector(s) used
Ace 250..... Fisher F2 ( HF Detector(planning on modding it)
AT PRO and 2 Tesoro Compadres...
2 Pro Pointers
Lesche Wilcox Fiskar's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

badpenny

Mar 28, 2013
NE PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good question. I go from side to side and front to back and once my tone drops off I note where on the ground it did that in both directions. I have a screwdriver type tool, which I also use to pop out shallow targets, and put that in the location of my target until I can get down on the ground. I then take my pro-pointer and see if I am in the general area and I am usually spot on, now I either pop it out or dig a clean hole. After you practice with your machine you will learn where the sweet spot is on your coil and that will be the spot where your target is right underneath it.

I use both the stock and the smaller 8.5 x 11 and I can get the target with each one, no problem. I always lift my coil only if I have a feeling I am not on a good target. If I still get a strong signal when I lift my coil off the target I know I probably got junk.

OP
OP
S

shen13

Nov 11, 2013
N.C.
Detector(s) used
Ace 250..... Fisher F2 ( HF Detector(planning on modding it)
AT PRO and 2 Tesoro Compadres...
2 Pro Pointers
Lesche Wilcox Fiskar's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Badpenny thanks yes its different from my ac250 ,,,I had it mastered..but this pros coil is big and I was doing pretty good with it yesterday getting a signal and easing the coil up to the target and then the other way but still was off some..I guess practice makes perfect...

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just use the "DD wiggle" from 2 directions.....works great and i havent scratched a target.......yet.

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
I like to work off the coil center. Even the big dd has a hot sweet spot dead center its a cake walk to pp with pro without pp button. But when you use the pp button you can get dead center on the deepest of coins with retune or detune. You will like it.

Last edited:

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I'm on a nice lawn I use both the "DD wiggle" method as Digger does, and double check it with the machine's pinpoint feature if in doubt. I often am able to limit my hole to 3" in diameter even if the target is 7" deep. If you're going to do a lot of park and lawn hunting for coins the 5x8 coil is plenty deep in most circumstances and is easier to pinpoint with, perhaps a little better accuracy on VID, and separates better in trashy areas. I don't leave home without it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread