spartan67

Greenie
Feb 1, 2014
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Might be a dumb newbie question, but here goes anyway! Recently purchased an AT Pro "package" that included a Fisher type pin-pointer. I have re-tuned it and it sounds off on a dime at about 5/8" and a quarter at about 3/4". I have an extra $150 to spend and am wondering if you experienced ATPers would recommend I purchase a Garrett Pro pin-pointer (or Vulcan 360) or would a better choice be the 5 X 8 coil for my first accessory. To start, my main interest is in coin hunting. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

dustytrails123

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer Se Pro,Garrett At/Pro,Garrett Ace 350,Tesoro Cibola,Tesoro Outlaw,Bounty Hunter SharpShooter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Id get a pinpointer the speed of recovery doesnt compare

krazyace

Jan 9, 2009
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you already have a pinpointer I would go with the 5X8 coil. Sure the pro pointer is awesome but if what you got works then get the coil first.

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
You haven't really explained what type of hunting you do...ie - coins, relics, fresh water? If you hunt coins and water hunting, you can do without the 5 x 8 coil, and concentrate on getting your coins out of the ground quickly. You could then save your $$$ and buy a Pro Pointer. If you are a relic hunter, those places you search can usually be hunted and the targets retrieved with a larger plug, so you could pull that plug apart one handful at a time, run it over the coil and eventually get the target. Coin hunting will often times get you multiple targets in a short period of time, so speed is a real asset as Dusty mention above.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

spartan67

Greenie
Feb 1, 2014
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the input everyone. Looks like 2 to 1 for the pinpointer first, then the coil. Thanks again!

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
taking the two items and using a percentage evaluation of return value in finds, I would have to go with the coil over the propointer. Your returned pointer could do everything the propointer can do but your present coil cannot do what the 5X8 can do. The Vulcan is certainly more advanced than the propointer but both will do everything the returned pointer did but maybe somewhat better. The other choice could be maybe the Whites TRX. Good luck with your choice.

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
5x8 coil hands down. I have both so it's easy for me to say so I thought to myself which one would I get rid of if I had too and I couldn't ever get rid of that 5x8 for my type of hunting. I don't mind waving handfuls of dirt in front of my coil. Heck I still do it sometimes even though I have the propointer on my side. I don't use the propointer in the water and when I'm relic hunting in iron infested sites the 5x8 make a lot of diff. I also have a spare lower shaft ($15.00) so changing coils out is fast if I hit an open no trash area. Good luck and have fun.

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
I quickly decided that the first thing to get is a GOOD pinpointer, factor in the cost, and then budget in the detector and accessories. I feel even more like that today. jm2c

sask hunter

Aug 26, 2013
yorkton saskatchewan
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter tro/bfo
ace 250
teknetics 4000
atp pro
minelab ctx 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Had exact same situation and went with pro pointer . Was first time I've ever used one and now I lol back and wonder how it use to do ir

D.A.D.D.-Dads against daughters dating

fireguy

Dec 28, 2013
Dayton ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250
Reading the reviews of the fisher pinpointer I would say propointer because what's more frustrating then wasting a bunch of time trying to find a coin and turns out to be a tiny little piece of scrap metal or wire that you would have never found without a pinpointer. From the sounds of it the fisher one doesn't register stuff very well, quality is poor, and the target has to be in from of the wand which suck.

If you seem like your recovery times are quick and easy and your happy with the pinpointer you have don't change it and get the coil.

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Definitely the 5 x 8. If you can't detect the target in the first place the pinpointer is of no use anyway. The 5 x 8 is light so you will get more hunting in, too.

OP
OP
S

spartan67

Greenie
Feb 1, 2014
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks everybody for the thoughtful replies. Good reasons on both sides. I decided to go with Pro Pointer first and coil second. Thanks again to all for your input. Now if I could only get rid of the snow....it has been melting but have a forecast for 6 more inches of snow tonight. Hopefully old man winter will run out after that!

OP
OP
S

spartan67

Greenie
Feb 1, 2014
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So what was the deciding factor.

Main reason was that although the Fisher performance improved with re-tuning, it would not stay stable. Re-tuning for sensing distance with repeatability decreased the sensing distance to 1/2" on a quarter. Also, after watching more vids of guys with and without pinpointers, the speed issue mentioned by Dusty and John does become a factor. I'm sure once I actually get some swing time that the 5x8 coil won't be too far off in my future.

dustytrails123

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer Se Pro,Garrett At/Pro,Garrett Ace 350,Tesoro Cibola,Tesoro Outlaw,Bounty Hunter SharpShooter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive forgot my pro pointer before and had to use the backup fisher ...i made it 2 holes before i drove back home for the pro pointer....i dont even bring the fisher with anymore because its not even good for a backup id rather use nothing

billyjoe42

May 10, 2007
Placer Co, CA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, White's M6, Gray Ghost Amphibians, Sun Ray Gold, TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
5x8 coil is quick to pinpoint, but I find a good quality pinpointer saves a lot of time.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
The Garrett pin-pointer then the 5X8 th6APR21V0.jpg

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This thread is already dead. The guy bought one before he got the 5 x 8 coil. Tried to tell him, but I guess I can see it being useful with the big coil. Like I said in another, I have three pinpointers and never use them. Get a 5 x 8 and you don't need one.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread