Issues with Garrett Ace 250

spisswgt

Jun 24, 2008
Blue Springs Missouri
Detector(s) used
Ace Garrett 250
Radio Shack Discovery 2000
I got a like new Ace 250 the other day and I went out to use it today... I don't know if there is something wrong with it or if I just don't know how to use it yet, but... I almost feel like the cheap Radio Shack discovery 2000 I had was better. There is such a lag when it finds something that I have to swing over it slowly 3 times for it to alert me one time. I threw my digging tool on the ground and it was only picking it up every other swing.....my old detector would have beeped on the swing to the right and the swing to the left. So I don't know if there's something wrong with this thing or if I just don't know how to use it well enough yet.. I tried different modes and the only mode it seemed to work decent on was all metal mode. I was testing it on coins I put on the ground and everything, it just doesn't seem that responsive... anyone have any tips or ideas?? Thanks

fireguy

Dec 28, 2013
Dayton ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250
Turn sensitivity all the way up and air test it if it doesn't read coins you are waving in front of the coil it's the detector if that isn't the problem my next guess is it is discriminating out metal so it will beep every few passes because the target ID blips into the range and rings then discriminates it out..

When swinging it if you get a hit swing over the area a couple times. If it doesn't ring every pass on stuff 6 inches or less its not a coin (yes yes might be masked but not dealing with that now). If you have a coin in the ground the 250 with hit dead on every pass when your checking it and the ID wouln't fluctuate more the 2 notches most of the time 1 or none.

Questions?

Dig-N-VA

Jan 20, 2014
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250/DD PROformance 8.5 x 11 coil

Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting, I also have an ACE 250, which did almost the same thing, i even pointed it in the air and it chattered all over the place :-\

I called Adam at Garrett, and he said it sounded like a dud coil (which i had just purchased) and he sent me another DD PROformance 8.5 x 11 coil, which i hope to recieve on wednesday :)

It was strange though, i put the original coil on and it worked fine :-\
So nowi just wait to Dig when i get the new coil, lets hope that was the problem LOL

Happy Hunting & Dig Everything! :occasion14:

Dig-N-VA

fireguy

Dec 28, 2013
Dayton ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250
Dig it sounds like you are dealing with EMI. Seems to be common with the large dd with the 250 since they cannt change frequency. A lot of places mine is Ok but if I use it near my house I have to turn the sensitivity down about 2-4 notches depending where I am. Turn it up and hit the pinpointer button you'll probably hear the pulsating noise from whatever is causing the interference.

Dig-N-VA

Jan 20, 2014
Detector(s) used

Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Considering all that i have dug, since getting the ACE 250, is my back yard LOL I would be inclined to agree with ya @ fireguy :)

I'm gonna hook the DD back up tomorrow and take it out to a field with no powerlines overhead or underground and turn the sensitivity down to the second notch.

Should i have not bought the 8.5 x 11 DD coil? :-\

Since placing the original coil back on i noticed that i still had to turn the sensitivity down moreso that when i first bought the 250 last month :-\
Shoot if it wasn't a bad coil then i'll need to send the one that Adam has shipped out today :BangHead:

spisswgt, i hope you get your problem resolved :)

Happy Hunting & Dig Everything! :occasion14:

Dig-N-VA

Dig-N-VA

Jan 20, 2014
Detector(s) used

Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you @ fireguy :)

OP
OP
spisswgt

spisswgt

Jun 24, 2008
Blue Springs Missouri
Detector(s) used
Ace Garrett 250
Radio Shack Discovery 2000
Another problem I was having was I would get a strong reading and then after digging I couldnt get the rading again and found nothing...was just left with a big hole. That's another reason im wondering if this things fried.

fireguy

Dec 28, 2013
Dayton ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250
Spiss do you have a pinpointer?
What discrimination mode or you in?
What is your sensitivity set at?

-if you don't have a pinpointer there might be a very tiny piece of metal such as a scrap of nail or piece of wire and you just aren't seeing it. These are very common and I really really really recommend getting a propointer. I understand just spending money on a detector but you will into your experience and it's something you will have for a long time even if you get a new detector down the road. Not knowing your answer I am guessing this is what it is because those tiny pieces are everywhere.
-next is after you dig look at your detector what can be happening is after you uncover some dirt it can get a better reading of what it is and it is discriminating it out. So when it happens look to see if it is showing up and just discriminating it out. It will show the indicator.
-if you are running your sensitivity more then 2 notches from full back it down until you know that the soil will allow you too.

Here is a good video to help you.

Last edited:

boodan90

Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mine did the same thing but i realized it was my cell phone.... serious interference when i get calls or even if the phone is just on....

dustytrails123

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer Se Pro,Garrett At/Pro,Garrett Ace 350,Tesoro Cibola,Tesoro Outlaw,Bounty Hunter SharpShooter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nver had a problem using the ace350 and talking on the cell at the same time...id hunt and it would be in my pocket or id hunt and talk on the cell other times and never had any problems like that

Dig-N-VA

Jan 20, 2014
Detector(s) used

Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Heya fireguy :)

Yep, i tried the DD coil again in another location...a huge field with not one powerline or anything electrical within a mile...it still acted up, so i put the old coil back on and it worked fine.....so i figured it was as Adam from Garrett said, a faulty coil. Hopefully i'll be receiving the new DD coil sometime today :)

Dig-N-VA

Jan 20, 2014
Detector(s) used

Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
oh, i forgot to say, after having put the original coil back on yesterday, we went and did some digging in a stream :) now that water was cold as all get out LOL

but we did find an old sardine can about 9 inches under some river cobble and an old..wel maybe not so old...chisel LOL

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
the strong signal then nothing in the hole "issue" is a common newibie problem * often a iron item or aluminum foil will "rot to bits" in the ground -- the item is still there but is basically "dust" -- the detector picks up the dust as a metal item --but when you dig it up it breaks up the "dust" and it no longer rings up --look for "rusty" spots in the dirt or fine silverish metal bits -- that WAS your GHOST target

AS FAR AS HAVING TO WAVE A NUMBER OF TIMES TO HIT TARGETS * -- SLOW DOWN , SLOW WAY DOWN , KEEP YOUR COIL JUST OFF THE SURFACE OF THE GROUND --DO NOT GOLF CLUB SWING --BUT SHUFFLE BOARD SLIDE IT SIDE TO SIDE --SLOWLY REPEAT SLOWLY --THIS WILL ALLOW YOUR MACHINE TIME TO REALLY READ THE GROUND AS DEEP AS IT CAN * most folks go way too fast

Last edited:

JJT

Tenderfoot
Mar 26, 2014
Rockwall
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just got an ace250 and I'm picking up tons of tones. I try to discriminate and when I dig, I too don't find anything. I don't have a pin pointer which sucks, but working on getting one. I am kinda getting discouraged. I hope someone can help with some useful tips or advice. JJT

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just got an ace250 and I'm picking up tons of tones. I try to discriminate and when I dig, I too don't find anything. I don't have a pin pointer which sucks, but working on getting one. I am kinda getting discouraged. I hope someone can help with some useful tips or advice. JJT

First time I used my ACE 250,...every other swing was a Half dollar signal.....it took me a little while to figure out NOT to stand under power lines....or under ground pipes..etc.

It just takes time...Now if the coil is Jacked..that's another story...but if you are trying to discrimanate a "good " signal from a junk one...then you need to understand..you will dig more garbage then goodies....especially if you just started detecting

Nothing to be discouraged over

I never understood what "Learning my Machine"...but after year 2 of the ACE...i really started learnign what its funny signals meant...and how to tell if somethign was larger in the ground than a coin...even if it says its a coin

just takes some Time :occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread