AT pro-overrated?

justdon

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2013
Florida
Detector(s) used
Teknetics delta4000/Tesoro compadre/Garrett ace 250/Garrett propointer/Garrett at pro/Tesoro silver umax
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

madforclad

May 7, 2014
Hunting previously pounded sites
Detector(s) used
Minelab eTrac, Minelab X Terra 705, Garrett AT Pro with 5" x 8" coil, Fisher F2, Garrett Pro Pointer, RTG 710 Scoop.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have only had my at pro for about 3 weeks now.Love it but i think its time i get a 5x8 coil.Everybody that gets the 5x8 swear they will never use the stock coil again.

I have not used the stock coil since I put the 5 X 8 on. Honestly, I cannot see alot of difference in the depth, and target separation in trash is far superior.

Fast Ed

Jan 31, 2013
Scotia, ny
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Garrett AT Max, Garrett Pro Pointer, Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had some tennis elbow from swinging it a bit too much but put the 5X8 on with a home made sling and no pain anymore. Great machine!

sailoffwithme

May 19, 2014
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, pro pointer, AT Gold, Vulcan pointer
NEL 15 inch coil amazing
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had some tennis elbow from swinging it a bit too much but put the 5X8 on with a home made sling and no pain anymore. Great machine!

Take a table spoon of coconut oil twice a day the elbow will heal fast! I detect for 12 to 14 hours at a time when I go out!

sailoffwithme

May 19, 2014
Detector(s) used
NEL 15 inch coil amazing
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have not used the stock coil since I put the 5 X 8 on. Honestly, I cannot see alot of difference in the depth, and target separation in trash is far superior.

Is this the 5 x 8 double d coil?

Fast Ed

Jan 31, 2013
Scotia, ny
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Garrett AT Max, Garrett Pro Pointer, Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Take a table spoon of coconut oil twice a day the elbow will heal fast! I detect for 12 to 14 hours at a time when I go out!

Thanks I'll try it if it flares up again :)

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Kind of a mini version of the stock coil...except in performance. It rocks!

Exactly!

Most of the machines I've owned, I've purchased optional coils for. The AT Pro is the ONLY machine that feels like a completely different machine from stock when outfitted with the 5x8. If it weren't for the 5x8, I doubt I would have kept it. Some of my threads re: my ATP transformation!
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/garrett/356743-patiently-awaiting-new-pro.html

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/garrett/359921-my-new-favorite-detector.html

Last edited:

madforclad

May 7, 2014
Hunting previously pounded sites
Detector(s) used
Minelab eTrac, Minelab X Terra 705, Garrett AT Pro with 5" x 8" coil, Fisher F2, Garrett Pro Pointer, RTG 710 Scoop.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Exactly!

Most of the machines I've owned, I've purchased optional coils for. The AT Pro is the ONLY machine that feels like a completely different machine from stock when outfitted with the 5x8. If it weren't for the 5x8, I doubt I would have kept it. Some of my threads re: my ATP transformation!
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/garrett/356743-patiently-awaiting-new-pro.html
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/garrett/359921-my-new-favorite-detector.html

Agreed. I don't think I would have used my ATP much if not for the 5 X 8 coil. I have a ongoing issue with my right shoulder and found it much too heavy and unbalanced with the stiock coil. Have you ever tried the 6 x 9 concentric? It adds a little more weight however separates targets equally as well and pinpoints better. Also seems to be a bit more depth.

justdon

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2013
Florida
Detector(s) used
Teknetics delta4000/Tesoro compadre/Garrett ace 250/Garrett propointer/Garrett at pro/Tesoro silver umax
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Iam convinced i just ordered a 5x8 coil.I hope i like it.

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
good choice I can remember when fella wasn't to happy with his pro but he loves it now.

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wonder if that would work on shoulder also?

Eureka!

Mar 11, 2014
Northeast Coast USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO 5x8 Coil - VULCAN 360 Pinpointer -Lesche Shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

While you're at it; Order another lowershaft and the bolt and nut that attaches the coil to the shaft.

Then when you want to switch coils, all that needs to be done is to disconnect the coil wire from the AT Pro Unit and slide the shaft out of the upper tube and replace it with the other coil.

Use the Larger coil for large non-trashy fields (covers more area per swing).

Use the 5x8 smaller coil for trash ladened ground (separates signals better), for streams and rocky areas (gets in between rocks).

You're going to love it

Happy Finding!

sailoffwithme

May 19, 2014
Detector(s) used
NEL 15 inch coil amazing
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I have that coil on the AT Gold and have found beer cans on the beach three foot deep :(

I also found a gold earring two foot deep with a very faint single with the 5 x8 double d coil.

It works much better then the standard coil on the AT Pro

sailoffwithme

May 19, 2014
Detector(s) used
NEL 15 inch coil amazing
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wonder if that would work on shoulder also?

I had tendonitis so bad I could not hold a coin between two fingers without being in pain on my swinging arm. It is a super food you can even cook with it and it has a higher flash point than olive oil and very little flavor to it.

I noticed the difference the first day

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had tendonitis so bad I could not hold a coin between two fingers without being in pain on my swinging arm. It is a super food you can even cook with it and it has a higher flash point than olive oil and very little flavor to it. I noticed the difference the first day
awesome gonna give it a try

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While you're at it; Order another lowershaft and the bolt and nut that attaches the coil to the shaft. Then when you want to switch coils, all that needs to be done is to disconnect the coil wire from the AT Pro Unit and slide the shaft out of the upper tube and replace it with the other coil. Use the Larger coil for large non-trashy fields (covers more area per swing). Use the 5x8 smaller coil for trash ladened ground (separates signals better), for streams and rocky areas (gets in between rocks). You're going to love it Happy Finding!
i bought the lower shaft also when I ordered the 5x8 and glad I did. I still use stock coil sometimes in the fields to cover more ground but the 5x8 should be standard with the pro because it's that good.

HenryWaltonJonesJr

Sep 2, 2013
Downtown Chicago
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, AT Pro, Compadre, SeaHunter II, AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Personally I switched back from the 5x8 to the stock because of depth fears. In air tests, at least on my machine, it's far deeper. I hunt very trashy urban areas where even the 5x8 doesn't help that much with separation. I just keep the stock on and trust the tones and don't wonder if I'm too shallow anymore.

It's really just about personal preference.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread