Just got my At Pro today!

Stevo007

Nov 4, 2013
Port Elizabeth
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, F5, CZ21,Garrett AtPro,Teknetics G2,Minelab Excaliber
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Everyone , i had the fisher f2 for a couple of months....felt very restricted in the end of the day with no ground balance and also with it not being wayerproof. Its a great startup machine but it was time to make a upgrade. Had my eyes on a F5 with the threshold option and groundbalance but was lacking once again with waterproof issue.

Down here in south africa we get allot of winter rains which means im either going to be stuck inside by not getting something waterproof or ill have to take the risk of going hunting and gettinf water damage.

In the end i decided....to get the at today and just as expected a brilliant machine.

Running the dd coil 5x8 with the coil cover, i was expecting a heavy machine but its not that much heavier than the f2. Im burning to go out but have not had a chance yet as work has me pinned down behind the pc.

Hope to go out tomorrow so i can do a propper evaluation.

Happy hunting.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Silver Simon

Mar 17, 2013
Coldwater Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Down here in south africa we get allot of winter rains which means im either going to be stuck inside by not getting something waterproof or ill have to take the risk of going hunting and getting water damage.

Glad you like it so far. There is just something comforting with using a detector that is waterproof. Good luck!

OP
OP
S

Stevo007

Nov 4, 2013
Port Elizabeth
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi SSimon, yeah there is nothong better than the reassurance with a waterproof machine, but thata not where it stops. If i look at the khz the machine is running 15khz its awesome for tiny stuff where as the F5 was only around 8khz, the iron audio makes this the perfect relic monster and since im staying at the coast the waterproof feature comes in handy to explore the sea aswell.
Im having a sea/sand scoop made today will post some photos once its done.

Unfortunately there isnt all metal mode to make it go even deeper but...then i would most likely see coins on the other side of the world haha.

Well done Dan on getting your AT , you will be extremely happy.

The weather is looking awesome today lets see how it goes!

Silver Simon

Mar 17, 2013
Coldwater Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im having a sea/sand scoop made today will post some photos once its done.

Unfortunately there isnt all metal mode to make it go even deeper but...then i would most likely see coins on the other side of the world haha.

Are you having the scoop made locally? I am lucky enough to live near the manufacturer of one of the premier scoop makers, Sunspot Tooling, and they make the Stealth 720i which is great. I was able to check out their operation in person and pick a scoop up while avoiding shipping charges.

And yes, the Pro does not have a true all metal mode like the AT Gold, but running Pro Zero with no disc is pretty close.

OP
OP
S

Stevo007

Nov 4, 2013
Port Elizabeth
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes there is a guy that make these locally, similar to the 720. I just used yo use a tiny garden hand spade but the up and down crouching is a bit of a problem after about 30min as i suffer a knee injury from my old dirtbiking days. The sand scoop with a nice long handle would be very sufficient as i wouldnt have to bend and then have a nice tool for playing in the water. Around this time of year there is still quite a bit of beach activity and most of the peeps here only own the ace250 which leaves the inside of the sea undetected. The sand dry/wet gets work through about 4 to 6 guys a day which makes findings a biy scarce when i had the f2 as they were all about same depth but i sort of have a overhand now by looking deeper than them so i hope there is some deepr treasures.

OP
OP
S

Stevo007

Nov 4, 2013
Port Elizabeth
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a beautiful day today, tide was low and had the whole beach to myself. Pin pointing was a nightmare as i am very new with the dd coil, also being new to the tones in pro mode zero left me digging everything i heard. Was a great day out its a shame my one friend didnt come out hes grumpy as he is stuck with a ace 250 after things went wrong on importing his sea hunter. Hes been real offish but im sure i would be too with the mishap and hunting withdrawls kicking in lol.

This would be my first ring for the year! This machine is just insane!! I love it! rps20140330_145732.jpg rps20140330_150231.jpg Screenshot_2014-03-30-14-38-39.png

dandut46

Nov 21, 2013
ma
Detector(s) used
Atpro ,etrac,t2se
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your atpro its a great unit. Had mine for three years but only real had time to use it for one if you get a chance get the small coil for it it'll help with trashy areas and it is lighter to boot . I got a etrac Friday went out with it today, but raining here so out came the atpro got quite a bit of clad and a tiny coin holder but it was empty.I never get skunked with the atpro. Congrats again. Sorry I realize you have the 5✖8 coil.

Last edited:

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats give yourself time to learn it and come on the Garrett forums with any questions we will be glad to help you out.

NTX Hunter

Tenderfoot
Mar 24, 2014
Richardson Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
We (my son and I) received the AT Pro last week, this detector rocks locating coinage, my son loves it! :headbang:

Went out Sunday dug up a handful of change and a couple tabs,nothing notable this round.

Silver Simon

Mar 17, 2013
Coldwater Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We (my son and I) received the AT Pro last week, this detector rocks locating coinage, my son loves it! :headbang:

Went out Sunday dug up a handful of change and a couple tabs,nothing notable this round.

It's awesome that you are able to enjoy the hobby together! Let's hope that's not your son sticking a butter knife into the wall socket as pictured in your avatar!!!

OP
OP
S

Stevo007

Nov 4, 2013
Port Elizabeth
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks you guys i only realised now i am running the stock coil not the 5x8 as stated. My apologies!

THE UNIT IS REALLY GREAT
The rain has been picking up quite a bit but not so bad that you cant go out and hunt.

Did some youtubing to learn how to pin point so i am confident the next trip out will be more sucsessful. I am trying to get a beach scoop to make things a tad easier.

Brilliant that everyone is out there with the at's its such allot of fun! Remember : swing to fast and you will come in last! Lol

Coil to the soil, happy hunting everyone!

OP
OP
S

Stevo007

Nov 4, 2013
Port Elizabeth
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went ouy this morning....as i got to the beach there was such a awesome piece with erosion to it. We had quite a bit of rain from wednesday right up to last night so im thinking perhaps the rain helped out a bit. Was a s-shape carveddout the beach i would say plus minus 16inches easy.... started getting targets around 10inches plus. Then i started running into problrems....i hit black sand spots. I was wondering if anyone can tell me....i had difficulty pinpointing on the blacksand? I see the target but as soon as i pinpoint i can walk 2 some time even 4 steps back and still see the object full percentage on pinpoint. Is this from the blacksand? It waa fairly atable i had to ground balance allot as i moved around as it there was a few deeper pockets where i could see the mineralization changed.

Another question sometimes i would get like a repeated high tone but no vdi... does this mean ghost signal? Isit the blacksand? Or is the target so deep that i the machine only gives a tone but no vdi?

thanks for all the useful tips so far you guys are making the detecting experience so much easier.
Happy hunting stevie

OP
OP
S

Stevo007

Nov 4, 2013
Port Elizabeth
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If that is the case then there is allot of stuff i missed. I took it as the black sand perhaps making false signals. I was two bars from max on sensativity i pushed it all the way did ground balance and then i would get a vdi jumping from 70 to 82.... but very faint signal can hear in the tone its very faint so i took it is laying deep but as soon as pinpoint it just cannot see it. I tried to dig some sand out to get the coil closer to where i thought the target but still did the aame so just covered it up and moved allong.

Got some silver coins 1990 and up and then 2x old ones from 1965 and 1978 and out of no where a very high tone i suspected a bottle cap but seems to be a locket. But the locket has me confused it looks like cheap copper costume jewellery but the front of it looks like porcelein and all the diamantes are still in tact. It has a build up of sand i placed it in some vinegar getting sand off ill post some pictures soon.

Pull tabs,bottle tops and anoyher 2 x tiny coins which is unidentifiable ill soak them aswell to see what they are.

OP
OP
S

Stevo007

Nov 4, 2013
Port Elizabeth
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went out tonight again and that pocket is still there, i cleared most of the shallow targets 20 to 25cm(depth of 6 out 8 sensativity) going over it again i can hear faint signals and most of the time no vdi only tone..with such faint tones you can hardly pinpoint so i decided to crank her up 8 out of 8 sensativity and voila it ran a bit unstable but i only needed it to help with the pin pointing. Out pops a silver 5c 1980 ...the depth on this coin is amazing . Went past the water table digging around in the loose watery sand. See pic attached, the little hand spade is is 30cm in length only the handle showing out above the water and then a good couple 25+ cm above it.* Really impressed with the de* pth of this machine. Just found a couple of coins nothing fancy tonight but i will be out there again tomorrow lets hold thumbs.

rps20140408_190204.jpg rps20140408_191759.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Stevo007

Nov 4, 2013
Port Elizabeth
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all, i quickly want to ask all the at pro users if they have had any issues like this.

I went out this morning to the beach, did my ground balance as i move allong normally when i hit a target in the wet o make sure to ground balance the machine again away from the target. Now when i pin point it sees the target as soon as i move my machine backwards to wait for the aignal to go faint it doesnt stop. I can literally move back two maybe even three steps it does not stop....why does it do that.

Settings i ran was pro zero, i gb twice to make sure gb is right , target read 20cm. It doesnt do it all the time. Also sensativity 6 out 8. I have even tried pushing 8 out 8 and still does the same...

Not the first time i have noticed this....i have tried different angles but seems to do either the same or from diff angle i dont get to pinpoint at all.

Feedback would be greatly appreciated.

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi all, i quickly want to ask all the at pro users if they have had any issues like this. I went out this morning to the beach, did my ground balance as i move allong normally when i hit a target in the wet o make sure to ground balance the machine again away from the target. Now when i pin point it sees the target as soon as i move my machine backwards to wait for the aignal to go faint it doesnt stop. I can literally move back two maybe even three steps it does not stop....why does it do that. Settings i ran was pro zero, i gb twice to make sure gb is right , target read 20cm. It doesnt do it all the time. Also sensativity 6 out 8. I have even tried pushing 8 out 8 and still does the same... Not the first time i have noticed this....i have tried different angles but seems to do either the same or from diff angle i dont get to pinpoint at all. Feedback would be greatly appreciated. Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Does it only do it on the beach?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread