Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Both. Mostly newer ones. Both zinc pennies and bottle caps read the same tone and ID. The ID Number for both is 74-75 Sent from my expensive phone I really don't need
if you slow down your swing speed a bit you can hear the tone drop off on a bottle cap. It doesn't sound the same as a penny in my opinion. Do you wear your headphones? Try running you iron up to 27 and when you get a signal like that turn on iron audio and most of the time you will hear the signal break up close to when the coil is almost past target. I've got a lot of hours on my pro and it seems second nature now. I did get fooled when I was learning the machine. I still get fooled a lot on those aluminum screw caps that are used on 40 ounce beer bottles. But steel caps I can pick them out 9 out of 10 times. Listen to fella I remember when he first got his pro he hated it. He learned it and now he loves it. Give it some more time and I think you will like it. It's just an added bonus that you can hop in chest high rivers and lakes and hunt while most others are on dry land. If you have any questions just ask and good luck.

Last edited:

GreenHat

Mar 3, 2014
Martinsburg, WV
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not everyone has the same experiences or is on the same awesomeness scale as some of you!

LOL.. Well I guess I am not on the same awesomeness scale of money in the bank as some either. Who buys a $600.00 piece of sophisticated technical gear and spends 10 hrs on it which is 1/10 of the manufacturer's recommended learning curve and then posts a flaming thread on it? I don't know how one can take the whole thing seriously. If SNL did parodies of MD forums it would look a little like this. Then when people very kindly and generously give heartfelt common sense recommendations they get accused of brand toting. My only experience is with an AT Pro but want to try every brand as I don't get attached to brands and couldn't care less about them. Hey look...if this is a legitimate thread you should probably trade that detector in because you decided 10hrs in it wasn't for you and your mind seems to be made up regardless of facts or maybe you genuinely have defective product. I wish you all the best and hope you find a detector that suits you. If you find out it's not defective and you want to sell.. let me know. I want to get one for my wife on the cheap. Good luck!

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL.. Well I guess I am not on the same awesomeness scale of money in the bank as some either. Who buys a $600.00 piece of sophisticated technical gear and spends 10 hrs on it which is 1/10 of the manufacturer's recommended learning curve and then posts a flaming thread on it? I don't know how one can take the whole thing seriously. If SNL did parodies of MD forums it would look a little like this. Then when people very kindly and generously give heartfelt common sense recommendations they get accused of brand toting. My only experience is with an AT Pro but want to try every brand as I don't get attached to brands and couldn't care less about them. Hey look...if this is a legitimate thread you should probably trade that detector in because you decided 10hrs in it wasn't for you and your mind seems to be made up regardless of facts or maybe you genuinely have defective product. I wish you all the best and hope you find a detector that suits you. If you find out it's not defective and you want to sell.. let me know. I want to get one for my wife on the cheap. Good luck!
great post greenhat

OP
OP
D

detectingpro

Feb 14, 2014
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Fisher F2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Video is uploading

Sent from my expensive phone I really don't need

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't tell between a zinc penny or a bottle cap, wether the iron audio is on or not

Well first off....Are you trying to tell the difference on an Aluminum Bottle Cap? or an Iron Bottle Cap? Because Yes, the Numbers will read the same for an Aluminum cap as it would for a Zinc penny....But at the same time, it will be obvious when the signal is louder than it should be. It took me a little while to figure out the difference.

But, I also dont dig Zinc pennies unless to get them out of the way for a real target.

If you are talking about Alum. Caps....then Iron audio is a waste of time as the material isnt Iron.

If its the Steel Caps you are talking about....Then it Iron audio will try and drown out the high tone...which it does about 90% of the time.

Really man....it just takes time....I had the same issues at first, then it all clicked.....and stills keeps clicking

OP
OP
D

detectingpro

Feb 14, 2014
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Fisher F2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here's the video. Tell me if you see a problem

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep...I see your first problem....Your sitting in the damn house!!!!

I cant tell if you are being serious, or just dont get it.

Air tests, espically in your house is garbage.....the stuff you find in the ground doesnt sound like that.

Pick up the manual.....READ IT!!!...Stop doing AIR TESTS

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That first bottle cap did not sound good at all...it was obvious its not a coin...it bounces way to much

and Zinc pennies are garbage...why are you digging them?....and the last thing you showed was a smashed Alum bottle cap....there isnt any IRON in it.

Im not sure what your point it...all your tests are proving htat they sound like garbage

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
SSSLLLLOOOWWW DDDOOOWWWNNN!

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Indeed! Slow down! You can still keep the target in the center of coil w/o having to whip it. Another thing, if the places you hunt are that trashy, get the 5x8 and be done w/it! It's still PLENTY deep enough, separates way better and audio & VID improve too.

Tip for smashed aluminum bottle caps or bottle caps in general: They give off a much bigger audio footprint when pinpointing than coins of like vdi!

OP
OP
D

detectingpro

Feb 14, 2014
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Fisher F2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Indeed! Slow down! You can still keep the target in the center of coil w/o having to whip it. Another thing, if the places you hunt are that trashy, get the 5x8 and be done w/it! It's still PLENTY deep enough, separates way better and audio & VID improve too. Tip for smashed aluminum bottle caps or bottle caps in general: They give off a much bigger audio footprint when pinpointing than coins of like vdi!

I will try that. But Isn't it supposed to have "the fastest recovery speed in it's class" and I do not have money for a 5x8. I was told the 11x 8.5 would do just fine in trashy parks. Apparently I got lied to.

OP
OP
D

detectingpro

Feb 14, 2014
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Fisher F2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
and Zinc pennies are garbage...why are you digging them?...

Maybe because it's money? And most parks I hunt have mostly zinc Pennies.

gerryk

Jan 20, 2013
Orland Park
Detector(s) used
Minelab X Terra 705, Bounty Hunter Pro 505, Garrett Pro pointer, Pro swing 45, TDK WR 700 wireless headphones, leschee digger, green canvas mil surplus messenger bag as finds bag and brown bomb#2 to
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see no problem digging a zinc penny, at least your finding something, digging it up and learning the machine. As far as speed, slow down but everyone that likes the at and hates the 705 claims you dont have to slow down with the at that the 705 is a slow machine.

Since you are new, slow down and learn the machine and different sounds different objects make. Dig everything at least until you become familiar with the machine and know before you dig something it truly is junk.

Digging up 20 zink pennies a day is better than digging up garbage or nothing at all. Especially until you become proficient with the machine and know it like the back of your hand.

Any of you who dont want the zincs you dig can send them to me.

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK, the video you did shows the detector working like it is supposed to. The standard bottle caps ring with a broken / chirpy / or high/low tone if you swing it at normal speed. And iron audio can help on these caps, they sometimes have a grunt along with the low high tone. Smashed caps DO fool most detectors, and yours is no different. Your zinc penny test was across the whole coil instead of the center of the coil, while your steel cap was just in the center. So I don't feel you are comparing targets equally.

My suggestion is to slow down when you get those 74-75 signals - turn on iron audio, shorten and lengthen your sweep, turn 45 degrees and swing again. This will give you confirmation NOT to dig if any of these things happen - High/ low, chirpy, grunt with high tone. Yes, sometimes a good target will get overlooked next to iron, but if you are tired of digging caps, these tools will help you eliminate most of the intact ones. The advantage of the small coil comes into play when you have a trashy site and lots of targets under the coil. A smaller coil will separate better. The standard coil will work fine, but if there are multiple targets under the centerline of the DD coil, the detector will have a hard time IDing correctly.

Wayne

www.metaldetectingstuff.com

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will try that. But Isn't it supposed to have "the fastest recovery speed in it's class" and I do not have money for a 5x8. I was told the 11x 8.5 would do just fine in trashy parks. Apparently I got lied to. Sent from my expensive phone I really don't need
the stock coil will separate good you just have to slow down your swing speed. It does have great recovery test it yourself.

pkb

Feb 10, 2013
Dallas
Detector(s) used
Two Garrett AT PRO's, two Garrett pro pointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
crusty zincs will have a scratchy tone to them and ring up mostly 75-79. I don't dig them up. Cant cash them in and not worth stooping down for. Another way to think about it is to go slow and give the machine time to analyze the target properly . Listen to what the machine is telling you by the tones and VDI. You will dig trash. That's a fact. Can slaw is my killer. Dig tons of it.

dustytrails123

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer Se Pro,Garrett At/Pro,Garrett Ace 350,Tesoro Cibola,Tesoro Outlaw,Bounty Hunter SharpShooter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The garretts like bottle caps ....end of story

hoosierguy

Feb 5, 2013
Laconia, IN
Detector(s) used
â—Ź Minelab Manticore â—Ź Minelab CTX-3030 â—Ź Minelab Equinox 800 â—Ź Minelab Goldmaster 1000 â—Ź Garrett Apex
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's a great video! It's really cool to hear that kind of information right from the lead engineer of the detector!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread