(Part 2) AT pro, not impressed!!

DainBrammage

Apr 1, 2014
Desoto County, MS
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Part 2 of an unhappy AT Pro owner. Got my AT Pro last Friday, I've had it out for 4 hunts/ 11 hours and so far, it's not impressing me. I CANNOT tell the difference between bottle caps and good targets. Caps come in with a solid 82 (dime) with no squeek or iron tones. I tried raising the coil and I still can't tell. After tons of tests, I can't say anything good. I'm not sure why 3 dealers pushed me into buying one! I probably got Caught up in the hype. The machine will find coins just fine, but for me, it's no better than a F2. If anyone has any tips that might help me, please feel fee to chime in. -Ryan-

Mkae sure you are in pro mode... The difference is the ragged noise that bottle caps make on the "edges" of the tone

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a great video! It's really cool to hear that kind of information right from the lead engineer of the detector!
are you being a smart a** who are you talking about did I miss something?

OP
OP
D

detectingpro

Feb 14, 2014
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Fisher F2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think he's talking about spartan67s video he posted

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think he's talking about spartan67s video he posted
oh yea lol I had to go back in the thread I forgot about that thanks detecting pro for clearing that up for me.

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
detectingpro, yer seasoned, you are detecting pro. The pro and its audio can tell if it's a zincoln or rusty ol bottle cap and it's telling you too. But yer just not getting it. Yet.

GreenHat

Mar 3, 2014
Martinsburg, WV
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This is killing me.. I'm going back to my original assessment about the whole thread being BS LOL..
Detectingpro, you grab the Hatorade.. I'll grab the Blamethrower!
Between the forum name and the content of this thread.. youre a comic genius preying on the kind hearted folk trying to help you. You're the Borat of this forum! Good form man! Good form!
Borat.jpg

dustytrails123

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer Se Pro,Garrett At/Pro,Garrett Ace 350,Tesoro Cibola,Tesoro Outlaw,Bounty Hunter SharpShooter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The guy is having a problem with bottle caps and you just want to throw him under the bus instead of talking about the real problem...i have put in atleast 20 hours and so far the bottle caps have hit the same vdi numbers as the silver dime i dug 2 holes after a bottle cap

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
They might vdi near or the same, but they certainly sound different!

DainBrammage

Apr 1, 2014
Desoto County, MS
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The guy is having a problem with bottle caps and you just want to throw him under the bus instead of talking about the real problem...i have put in atleast 20 hours and so far the bottle caps have hit the same vdi numbers as the silver dime i dug 2 holes after a bottle cap

I saw several posts where he was helped. I saw coil size, I saw speed I saw tone plus more. BTW 20 hours is a very minute amount of time. It took me 20 hours just to discover how to discern a nickle from aluminum junk. The nuance is in the tones and the "crispness" or "ragged" edges of said tones. If you aren't using headphones you are messing up.

I will tell you the same thing I told him, bottle caps have ragged sound at the "edges" of the tone.

For the record digging trash is part of the game. For every 10 digs you may get 1 or 2 items, in a trashy area way less. You get more stuff the more you dig. If your fingers aren't sore after a hunt you aren't digging enough nor are you finding anything. News flash.... Iron Audio ain't going to work on a one liter aluminum screw-top. Scrub your target S-L-O-W-L-Y and from multiple angles. Dig often, dig deep, dig till it hurts, you will figure it out... eventually.

badpenny

Mar 28, 2013
NE PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bottle caps definitely sound different, I use the VDI numbers when I hear a beep but I don't live by them. I live by the sound. I am not going to say I never dig junk, but I can tell the difference between a "Holy ****" sound and a maybe I should dig sound. On the maybe I should dig sound, I will circle that target move the coil more slowly to hear any tell tale sounds of junk or can I separate two or more sounds. My buddy a.k.a. digger, told me I am like an old hunting dog he once had, he can tell by my actions if he should get ready to dig the hole or not. Learn the sounds, they are just slightly different but trust me they are different, learn them, remember them the more you hunt the more familiar you will become with them.

dustytrails123

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer Se Pro,Garrett At/Pro,Garrett Ace 350,Tesoro Cibola,Tesoro Outlaw,Bounty Hunter SharpShooter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why do they put these tones so close to the same tones if in fact there is a dif tone ...are you sure your not just hearing things yourself?....i dont see the day i can swing the at pro and skip over high dime tones at 8 inches because "i think" it sounds like a bottle cap you all know in the end of the day you have bottle caps in your bag you can say ohh i knew it prolly was a bottle cap before i dug ...

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Well that's pure BS

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe because it's money? And most parks I hunt have mostly zinc Pennies.

Sent from my expensive phone I really don't need

haha..Is it?...Because about 90% of mine are complelty worthless, to the point where they aren't considered currency anymore.

And if you are hunting a park that only has Zinc pennies....then you in the wrong place...hell I get pissed at a place when Im digging copper Pennies instead of wheats.

Its all about bein gat the right place.....and for someone to say ( Not you) that they aren't sure of a dime at 8" or a bottle cap at 8"....i personally dig ANYTHING at 8"...and if it turns out to be an older style rusted cap..then big deal...at least i know that things are deep.

I clean places out that i know old coins and relics can be found,,,There has been many times that i moved a Alum bottle cap that was 2" deep, only to uncover something right beside it at 8"

If someone dont have patience...they will never make it detecting long....i dug straight crap for the first 9 months of detecting...and i sure the hell wasnt blaming my detector

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
For the record digging trash is part of the game. For every 10 digs you may get 1 or 2 items, in a trashy area way less. You get more stuff the more you dig. If your fingers aren't sore after a hunt you aren't digging enough nor are you finding anything. News flash.... Iron Audio ain't going to work on a one liter aluminum screw-top. Scrub your target S-L-O-W-L-Y and from multiple angles. Dig often, dig deep, dig till it hurts, you will figure it out... eventually.

A good piece of advice, good wisdom and based on the best teacher, who's name is EXPERIENCE!

Trent67

Mar 21, 2014
Davie, FL
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I saw several posts where he was helped. I saw coil size, I saw speed I saw tone plus more. BTW 20 hours is a very minute amount of time. It took me 20 hours just to discover how to discern a nickle from aluminum junk. The nuance is in the tones and the "crispness" or "ragged" edges of said tones. If you aren't using headphones you are messing up. I will tell you the same thing I told him, bottle caps have ragged sound at the "edges" of the tone. For the record digging trash is part of the game. For every 10 digs you may get 1 or 2 items, in a trashy area way less. You get more stuff the more you dig. If your fingers aren't sore after a hunt you aren't digging enough nor are you finding anything. News flash.... Iron Audio ain't going to work on a one liter aluminum screw-top. Scrub your target S-L-O-W-L-Y and from multiple angles. Dig often, dig deep, dig till it hurts, you will figure it out... eventually.

BINGO!!! The ATP is a boss at IDing bottle caps. I mean if you read the manual, watched the DVD, did some research and got out there and used the damn thing, it is not hard to figure out. I hunt exclusively at the beach and I have dug enough bottle caps now that I dont have to dig them anymore, I KNOW its a damn bottle cap. Now those crisp sounding 53s get me every time. I know that they are pull tabs but I still have to dig those damn things. Don't even get me started on the foil!! Anyway, I love my ATP.

Trent67

Mar 21, 2014
Davie, FL
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bottle caps definitely sound different, I use the VDI numbers when I hear a beep but I don't live by them. I live by the sound. I am not going to say I never dig junk, but I can tell the difference between a "Holy ****" sound and a maybe I should dig sound. On the maybe I should dig sound, I will circle that target move the coil more slowly to hear any tell tale sounds of junk or can I separate two or more sounds. My buddy a.k.a. digger, told me I am like an old hunting dog he once had, he can tell by my actions if he should get ready to dig the hole or not. Learn the sounds, they are just slightly different but trust me they are different, learn them, remember them the more you hunt the more familiar you will become with them.

EXACTLY.

hoosierguy

Feb 5, 2013
Laconia, IN
Detector(s) used
â—Ź Minelab Manticore â—Ź Minelab CTX-3030 â—Ź Minelab Equinox 800 â—Ź Minelab Goldmaster 1000 â—Ź Garrett Apex
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
are you being a smart a** who are you talking about did I miss something?

I was referring to the earlier video ;-)

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 using TreasureNet

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was referring to the earlier video ;-) Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 using TreasureNet
yea I figured that out after detectingpro pointed it out. I ended up watching video again lol.

OP
OP
D

detectingpro

Feb 14, 2014
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Fisher F2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My at pro, could barely hit a 8" buried half dollar. Video uploading. And also I have a coin test garden, which has a penny at 6", dimes at 6" & 8" and quarters at 6" and 8" it's around 2-3 months old so the video to test that is coming up as well.

Sent from my expensive phone I really don't need

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread