My garrett Pro Pointer disabled my SIM card in my smart phone!?!?

BrianDickSmith

Dec 31, 2013
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys I was out a few days ago hunting and I was digging a hole and turned on my Pro pointer. I have a habit of confirming it works by touching it to anything close to me metal. Usually my ring I wear on my index to extend the range of the PP. Anyway I know for a fact Ive had my PP close enough to my Galaxy s4 until it got a reading and nothing ever happen. This past time I was actually on my phone. (It was an important call or I would have never let it interrupt my hunt) I had my phone pinched in between my shoulder and ear and naturally I reached up with my PP in my hand and actually gripped my phone with the same hand. I immediatly herd the constant tone of the PP gbut it was deff a little longer then any other time past. The I noticed my phone switched to Emergency mode and asked me if I needed 911. I was like "hell no" to myself and powerd off my phone turned it back on and it said sim card not found. It did this 3 times after each time I restarted my phone. Eventually...about 30 35 min later I was able to power it off then It finally registered. Phone works fine now but has anyone ever had this happen? Im sure its not a complicated situation that a PP can ruin a sim card... Thanks in advance guys.
-BDS :headbang::headbang::headbang:

Trevset

Mar 19, 2014
I haven't had this happen due to my pinpointer, but I do have a galaxy s3 and on occasion it will just randomly say that I need to install a SIM card and I have to restart it several times. I have noticed however that most of the time when this happens I am in the parking lot at work where the high tension powerlines run through. So maybe these phones are just really sensitive to electromagnetic interference.

OP
OP
BrianDickSmith

BrianDickSmith

Dec 31, 2013
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That could possibly explain it. Could have just been a coincidence that it happen as the PP was touching the phone. It makes sense because I cant figure out how a device like the PP could effect a sim card to tell you its not there but then somehow fix itself. Thanks again!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread