PeteCook

Greenie
Apr 8, 2014
Vancouver, B.C.
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro & Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi everyone, this is my 1st post here aside from my introduction to the forum this morning. I just want to start by saying once again how glad I am to have found this group, there is a load of real treasure buried in this forum for those looking for great info. (sorry if that one has been done to death, I promise not to repeat it again ;-) )

I am awaiting the arrival of my 1st real detector, an ATP and I'm hoping it will be here tomorrow or the next day judging by the tracking info. I have a Propointer coming as well, but have yet to order any other gear aside from a carry bag and coin pouch. I'm an all-in type once I get excited about something (like detecting) so I'm already looking at additional coils even though my detector is still in transit. :wink:

I did a bit of reading here before I decided to post this question, and without a doubt I will be ordering the 5x8 PROformance DD to go with it tomorrow. There are a couple of others that I'm considering as well and thought I might ask if anyone has had experience with them, or maybe a tip as to what might be more essential for a guy like me, a newbie that is.

The three others besides the 5x8 which is a given, are the Garrett 4.5" Super Sniper , maybe a concentric mid sized, as well as a NEL Big for out in the fields. I have been trying to get a grasp as to exactly what they will do different from one another and have come to an inexperienced conclusion that this combo of four would cover most of my needs. I live in Vancouver BC, Canada. It's a fairly young city compared to many in the sense that many of the buildings here and surrounding are the 1st things built on their sites so not a ton of great places to detect I'm guessing I will be in parks or a mixture of fresh and salt beaches being the public gathering spots that haven't been paved.

I looked at the Super Sniper as a small concentric style to use in the very trashiest of areas, but it seems that many recommend the 5x8 as being the best for this type of situation.
A mid-sized concentric I thought may give me some better target ID in cluttered areas as well as a little extra depth over a 4.5, but am not sure if this is necessary with the stock 8.5x11 and a 5x8?
The NEL Big I figured I would grab just cause its the big kid on the block and although there are some mixed feelings on them most folks reported some crazy depths with them they just weren't seeing before they tried one.

Does anyone have any thoughts on these three coils? That 5x8 is a sure thing, I figured that maybe the 4.5 sniper might be the one that would be redundant here, I just don't know the machine yet so I havent the experience to make a good call on my own.

I know that by far the smart move would be to go get 50+ hours in with the detector before I try to foresee my next upgrade, but if I can't be smart I can hope for informed at least. :icon_thumright:

Thanks in advance for any advice from anyone who have used these types before on their ATP's. I really appreciate any and all info I can get from real people and not just the manufacturer or the guy who wants to sell them to me ;-) And I know I can get long winded, sorry 'bout that. Hopefully my next post I will just let the treasure do the talking.

Cheers everybody, and once again I'm really glad to be here, thank you!

Last edited:

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome and thank you for making your (somewhat) lengthy post easy to read.

While I have no doubt the 4.5 sniper is great in trash, I really don't think you'll need it if you are getting the 5x8. It's THAT good!
I run small concentrics on a couple of my other machines sometimes and the ATP w/5x8 works as well if not better in all circumstances as far as separating trash goes. It's the ONLY coil I ever use anymore for my ATP.

Before going "all in" and purchasing several coils before you get the machine, I would highly recommend you use it for a several hours first. You may find it works for your needs just fine. Another thing to keep in mind is that the ATP is quite nose heavy with the standard coil and not the best balanced. If you add a larger/heavier coil, that could compound the problem…if you find it a problem to begin with. I did!

Anyway, enjoy and good luck!

badpenny

Mar 28, 2013
NE PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Listen to fella; he gave you some good advice. I use the 5 x 8 and that is pretty much it. I dusted off the AT PRO yesterday and took it into the backyard just to make sure everything still worked, and it did. I dug a quarter, dime and penny all in about 10 minutes and all were mid-nineties, nothing special but still fun to find.

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
5x8 coil is great. The bigger concentric coil may be another you may want in open fields. It will edge out the stock coil on depth a bit. Good luck.

OP
OP
P

PeteCook

Greenie
Apr 8, 2014
Vancouver, B.C.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys I really appreciate it.

That 4.5 sniper doesn't look like it will make the list after all, the 5x8 seems to be all I will ever need in that size range. Thanks for the heads up on that.
I am still planning on adding a 9x12 concentric to the kit, I have seen a couple of side by side comparisons against the stock DD coil now and along with a nod from Kodiak it looks like a solid performer with enough differences in pro mode to make it worthwhile.
As for the NEL 15x17 I think with the price being equal to the other two combined it will go to the bottom of the wish list for now. I like the looks of it's performance, I just watched video of a guy pull a three ring civil war bullet out of a 22" hole with one on an ATP... but for where I live I doubt there will be much buried that deep. We just don't have the kind of timeline or history that would put relics or coins that far down anywhere but a tidal beach, the city is only about 130 years old and all the old settlement areas are now paved over in the heart of the urban centres.
Thanks again guys, I don't want to be one of those guys who signs up and starts asking questions without contributing something first but this has been nagging at me this week. I am really looking forward to getting to know this machine and sharing some photos and experiences here with everyone!
Cheers... Pete

Last edited:

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equnox 800... 2 Garrett Pro Pointers, Lesche, and an 18" mini-T- handle and a 31 inch Samson digging tools
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Fella is right, I bought the super sniper, The 5x8, and have the stock coil, it came with, all on lower rods... NONE have been used, since I put the 5x8 on and most likely will never touch the ground again

OP
OP
P

PeteCook

Greenie
Apr 8, 2014
Vancouver, B.C.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My only complaint so far is that not enough detector sales companies seem to have an overnight delivery option :wink: but that 5x8 is on its way.
Thanks again for the tips guys.

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
I put the 5/8 coil on mine last yr and same thing, I haven't taken it off and don't plan to either. It's an awesome little coil that makes the Pro almost talk a different language to me.

OP
OP
P

PeteCook

Greenie
Apr 8, 2014
Vancouver, B.C.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well my 5x8 got here last night and all I can say is WOW, and I really mean WOW! It is a completely different machine, I don't mean to say at all that I doubted anyone here, on the contrary that's why I ordered it but holy smokes I just can't say enough... walked around my back yard and found four items (junk) in about four minutes, no "general idea" signals, depth dialed in, extremely clear and easy to pinpoint. Until today I had been using a shovel with the 8.5x11 it was what I had to do as I couldn't seem to hit the "spot", this is like having Superman's X-Ray vision by comparison.
Thanks a ton guys, after a day of discovering what a piss-poor machine the ATP can be on a mineralized salt water beach with a stock coil I feel like I can still enjoy this after all.
Cheers - Pete

Last edited:

Kimo

Greenie
Apr 4, 2014
Southern California
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Pro Pointer, Lesche
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since you're new, my advice will be to go out a couple of times MDing to see if this hobby is for you. Many people get into this hobby thinking they're going to find gold/silver every time they go out. The truth is, most of us find trash and modern coins. I'm not saying this is may be you, but I've seen numerous new member buy nice detectors and weeks later their detector is for sale.

Learn how to use the AT Pro in pro mode and make sure this is for you.

PS. I know my account is new, but i've been part of other websites since 2009.

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Let us know if there is an improvement on the salt beaches too.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions