At Pro with the Nel Storm is awesome!

Otsego digger

Aug 4, 2013
So I took the plunge and bought the nel storm for my At Pro. I have only been out with it twice and I am impressed! My first hunt was just at my neighbors which I have detected several times with the stock coil only finding 1 wheat. I was going over the same area I have been over before and I got a really high clear tone. I'm thinking its iron because it was so clear and was coming up 10+ on the depth meter. I dig it up and it's a 54 Rosie at 9 inches. The next day I get another high tone at 84-85 and I'm thinking quarter and out pops a sterling ring at 9+ inches. Buy one you will love it. Thanks Golddigger metal detectors for a great product!

image-621336149.jpg

image-499079577.jpg

slider66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Nov 14, 2013
Treasure Coast Of Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab CTX 3030
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Excalibur 1000 with SEF 10x12 coil
3 Minelab Excalibur II 10 inch
Deus II
EQuinox 900
Manticore
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Hi,

I have the storm coming on Wednesday for my AT Pro. Did you use the NEL at the beach? Did you have to run it with discrimination? If you used it at the beach could you tell me where? I hunt from Sebastian to Juno and plan on using the storm for mostly wet sand. Thanks.

slider66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Nov 14, 2013
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab CTX 3030
Garrett AT Pro
Deus II
EQuinox 900
Manticore
Primary Interest:
Yesterday I received my 13x14 NEL STORM. I have tried it now for a total of 4 hours on the beach. I purchased it for my Garrett At Pro. My first impression is not to good. First, I find the weight of the coil to heavy. I am in good shape and usually can go from morning until night on the beach. I had to take a break after swinging if for an hour. I never get skunked when I go the beach. My first time out I didn't get any hits. Having said that let me say that I followed the directions carefully as far as ground balance and discrimination. NEL supplies directions instructing the user to lower the sensitivity. It should be lowered to half before attempting to ground balance. I did all of those things. I ran the coil in PRO mode with discrimination set at 31. I also tried it in the full metal mode at zero. I had zero hits in the wet sand. There was very little chatter.

My first impressions are not good. I went to the beach today for two hours and hit one target which turned out to be a dime at about 10 inches. Yesterday I ordered a harness to try and take off some of the weight. I plan on trying it again at a different beach to the south where I always have good luck. I will provide more feedback once I get the harness and can swing it for a longer period of time. I also plan to take it to a few parks and try it. I want to be fair about the performance of this coil. I would love to hear from others about this coil, the weight and performance.

slider66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Nov 14, 2013
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab CTX 3030
Garrett AT Pro
Deus II
EQuinox 900
Manticore
Primary Interest:
Yesterday I received my 13x14 NEL STORM. I have tried it now for a total of 4 hours on the beach. I purchased it for my Garrett At Pro. My first impression is not to good. First, I find the weight of the coil to heavy. I am in good shape and usually can go from morning until night on the beach. I had to take a break after swinging if for an hour. I never get skunked when I go the beach. My first time out I didn't get any hits. Having said that let me say that I followed the directions carefully as far as ground balance and discrimination. NEL supplies directions instructing the user to lower the sensitivity. It should be lowered to half before attempting to ground balance. I did all of those things. I ran the coil in PRO mode with discrimination set at 31. I also tried it in the full metal mode at zero. I had zero hits in the wet sand. There was very little chatter.

My first impressions are not good. I went to the beach today for two hours and hit one target which turned out to be a dime at about 10 inches. Yesterday I ordered a harness to try and take off some of the weight. I plan on trying it again at a different beach to the south where I always have good luck. I will provide more feedback once I get the harness and can swing it for a longer period of time. I also plan to take it to a few parks and try it. I want to be fair about the performance of this coil. I would love to hear from others about this coil, the weight and performance.

Follow-up. I took the STORM on my AT PRO to a different beach today. I will be honest the coil really does a good job of pin pointing. The coil is large and covers a lot of ground however the weight of the coil is a killer. I used it for 4 hours over a two day period. It was extremely hard to swing. Today I went using a harness with the AT Pro and it still was difficult to use. Your arm feels like it is going to drop off after 30 minutes of use. I would love to hear from others who are using this coil. I am not impressed with the coil and the weight is just to much. If you have this coil or one of the other NEL big coils please provide some feedback. I would love to hear from you.

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never used a NEL, but I have used heavy coils. You need to shorten the shaft a notch or two, maybe more. Hold the grip as high as you can (as close as possible to the control box). Make sure the arm cuff is in furthest back (longest) position. All these will help.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread