House Hunting

Metal Monkey

Apr 19, 2014
Greencastle, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recently purchased the Garrett AT Pro, and started hunting 1700-1800's homesteads. There is tons of trash in the ground at these places. I get a ton of readings that are tough to pinpoint. Along with one way hits, which still stumps me. According to the other forums, it sounds like I should replace my 8.5 x 11 coil, for a 5 x 8 coil. Will this smaller coil give me more accurate readings? I'm tired of digging up junk because of multiple readings.

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recently purchased the Garrett AT Pro, and started hunting 1700-1800's homesteads. There is tons of trash in the ground at these places. I get a ton of readings that are tough to pinpoint. Along with one way hits, which still stumps me. According to the other forums, it sounds like I should replace my 8.5 x 11 coil, for a 5 x 8 coil. Will this smaller coil give me more accurate readings? I'm tired of digging up junk because of multiple readings.
the 5x8 will separate better in the trashy sites. You will still get the one way signals and still dig trash. On these types of sites I would dig most anything anyway. I love the 5x8 in trashy areas because I can pick out good targets better. The stock coil separates good to but not as good as the 5x8 and I've noticed the VDI is more consistent. Good luck.

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MM, I too have a fairly new AT Pro and also have gotten access to some older sites from friends, neighbors, etc.. and there is one thing I have found out from hunting virgin property...lots of trash!! So yes, be patient, and as Kodiak says, you WILL dig trash-that's hunting. There's no better training than time in the saddle, so just swing, swing, swing, dig, dig, dig...and read your Garrett manual forward, backward..even sideways as I keep picking good info out of it every time I read it. Get used to the one-way hits, even good targets will do this, just depends on position, depth, etc..and any coin/round object sitting vertical in the ground will produce a weird signal now and then. Good luck..HH!! ddf

Dwight S

Apr 26, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro & White's TDI & Tesoro Compass uMax
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Large iron tends to be really jumpy VDI numbers, low, high and anywhere on the scale. If you've got virgin sites, the best advice is to dig it all and go slooooooow......

Digging it all allows you to get the junk out the way that may be masking something better below it. Rescan your hole & dirt before you refill it.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
The 5X8 will pin-point a lot better. The Pro is a very good machine and it just take a while to understand what its telling you. Use the iron ID, it can help answer some question about signals you get. Good luck. th6APR21V0.jpg

OP
OP
Metal Monkey

Metal Monkey

Apr 19, 2014
Greencastle, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So you guys would dig every hit? Iron and all? Have you ever found anything worth while digging up iron signals?

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Fisher Teknetics Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So you guys would dig every hit? Iron and all? Have you ever found anything worth while digging up iron signals?

Sure

I dug a 1942 Washington quarter just the other day ringing iron at about ten inches. After a certain depth, the vdi is unreliable. And if detector will run all metal, you'll find things you're missing running discrimination.

Try some tests in your own yard.

HH

OP
OP
Metal Monkey

Metal Monkey

Apr 19, 2014
Greencastle, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have you ever used the pinpoint feature, pick up a strong signal, then have is disappear? It disappears at ground level, but when I lift it up off the ground, it pins out every time. Really weird. I was under some regular power lines, but it did this under every frequency that I changed to.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread