Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They are both great pinpointers. I used the Garrett for years until last month- now I'm using the TRX and it is great. The Whites TRX have been hard to keep in stockIf I can help you, let me know.

Wayne

Www.metaldetectingstuff.com

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pin pointers are great and I love my pro pointer but I went a while without one and did just fine with the DD coil. Always pinpoint off tip when you pull back and strength drops. Waving handfuls of dirt was a great way too just be sure to remove your wedding band lol. Good luck.

OP
OP
bottlecap

bottlecap

Feb 22, 2014
West Metro, Mn
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Pin pointers are great and I love my pro pointer but I went a while without one and did just fine with the DD coil. Always pinpoint off tip when you pull back and strength drops. Waving handfuls of dirt was a great way too just be sure to remove your wedding band lol. Good luck.
No wedding band for me, just plain old dirty fingers but I can see why wearing one could cause problems when using the dirt waiving method! It was actually kind of fun(however inefficient) waiving that dirt in front of the coil not know which handful would beep.

Budman231

Sep 21, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pinpointers have nothing to do with pinpointing an object while you're standing. They are to aid in faster recovery times so you can keep going.. You can get to an X exactly where the goody is with your MD, but sometimes when you start to dig the hole, the item shifts a bit especially if it is a deeper target. A pinpointer just helps you dig less and find the item quicker.

It is not necessary, but nice to have. When you do get one, you will never go back to the old fashioned way.

Bud

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pinpointers have nothing to do with pinpointing an object while you're standing. They are to aid in faster recovery times so you can keep going.. You can get to an X exactly where the goody is with your MD, but sometimes when you start to dig the hole, the item shifts a bit especially if it is a deeper target. A pinpointer just helps you dig less and find the item quicker.

It is not necessary, but nice to have. When you do get one, you will never go back to the old fashioned way.

Bud

To add to this, you don't always have that glint of gold or silver during this process. Most of the time the "find" is the same color as the dirt you are searching and even though the pointer says it is there, you have to look real hard to pick out the item.

OP
OP
bottlecap

bottlecap

Feb 22, 2014
West Metro, Mn
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
To add to this, you don't always have that glint of gold or silver during this process. Most of the time the "find" is the same color as the dirt you are searching and even though the pointer says it is there, you have to look real hard to pick out the item.

I have noticed it can be hard to find the target sometimes even when it's in my hand in a small wad of dirt. I have been out there looking at the 14 granules of dirt knowing my target is in there thinking, "Are you kidding me?!", amazing how the targets blend in. Just to update those of you following this thread I have put about 25 hours(maybe more) hours on my AT Pro since I got it Monday and have been doing pretty well pin pointerless. One of the things I can see a pin pointer being very beneficial for is finding shallow targets that come out in your plug. I spend a lot of time and energy cutting clean plugs and sometimes I have to kind of tear it apart to find my target, if I had a pin pointer I would at least know what part of the plug it's in. Having a pin pointer would also be really nice for deeper targets in case the target is in the side of the hole and not deeper. I am beat. I have spent every spare minute I have detecting.

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010

Double Amen. One of the most impressive replies I recently read concerning why or why not to use a pinpointer was..."It's just more fun." This whole hobby should be as fun as possible.

Let me put it this way. I, plain and simple, will not detect with out a pinpointer. A good pinpointer was the only thing that moved me further into metal detecting back when I started. That is a pure fact.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread