Pin pointerless

bottlecap

Feb 22, 2014
West Metro, Mn
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Do any of you detect without a Pro Pointer or pin pointer of any kind? I ordered an AT Pro that should be here Monday and I got the package deal so I got the 5x8 coil too. Unfortunately I was unable financially:3coins: to swing a Pro Pointer so I will be learning to pin point with my machine. For my first couple of hunts I will be on private farm type land, I am doing this intentionally because I know without a pin pointer my plug may get a little out of control trying to locate my target, luckily all I have to do in these spots is fill in the hole, it's basically a weedy overgrown field there used to be a school on. Guess I am looking for advice on pin pointing. Watched some videos and looks like the way to go is watching for the signal to die off the tip of the coil? Are any of you proficient enough at pin pointing with your machine that you don't use a pin pointer? Good news is the day after I ordered my metal detector I found out I got a new job I had interviewed for and it will be a ten dollar an hour raise from what I am making now! My point is I hope to be ordering the White's pin pointer within the next month or so but in the meantime I will be using my machine. Hope you all have a great Easter!
EDIT: Also do you seasoned vets think a greenhorn should start off digging every target or just dig the higher readings? I have heard both ways. Thanks.

Last edited:

golden sluice

Dec 16, 2013
next to disneyland
Detector(s) used
Thanks Kellyco, and Garrett:smile:... I love my AT gold metal detector!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hi there, you should have no problem using your garrett metal detector without a pin pointer. I can really lock on to a target with my at gold and know exactly how deep it is and almost what it is, just by the signal and the number.

When you swing your md back and forth, listen for hard beeps, swells or grunts. Also, when you hit the target make a cross of up and down as well as side to side swings. Listen to each direction of swing, you should be able to get a virtual orientation of the object in the ground... if you can pick up on the detectors nuances, it will tell you more than just beeps. :metaldetector:
Happy hunting.

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your choice of the Whites is a good one, With your ATP just dig everything that gives a reading over 40, unless you are looking for iron artifacts.

Dwight S

Apr 26, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro & White's TDI & Tesoro Compass uMax
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Start off with the 5x8 coil and learn to pinpoint your target with it. It is easier than the 9x11. Once you have the 5x8 down, switch to the 9x11 and it should come easy.

You can also toss a coin down on the ground and practice pinpointing it. Listen and watch where the signal drops off as you move the coil over it left-right and front-back. Watch the meter as you do it, you'll see it max out dead in the middle. I tend to pinpoint off the front of the coil to where signal drops out then move the coil forward to see where it gives max signal and that is where I dig.

Hit the field and go slow. Listen for the faint, repeatable signals that may not give an ID.

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jon, you can also pinpoint, then turn 45-90 degrees and pinpoint again. Where the coil crosses the other sweep is the center of your target.

I'd suggest you dig every repeatable signal for a while. If the numbers jump more than 1-2 digits apart, it's either "can slaw" or a target on edge.

If you get tired of digging a lot of soda cans, you can try raising the coil 10-12 inches over a potential target. If the signal drops off, it's small. If it's still strong, it's large.

Wayne

www.metaldetectingstuff.com

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I own three pinpointers and never use them. About the only time I think they are worthwhile is if the ground is frozen. I know sometimes the target is on the side of the hole or real deep they do save time, but I don't like carrying one. I realize some people swear by them, but I think it's because they got used to using one and can't do it very well without. It probably saves a little time but it's a hassle.

Trent67

Mar 21, 2014
Davie, FL
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the ATP and I dont use a pinpointer either. Now, 80% of my hunting is in the sand but I have been hitting parks lately and have had no problems without one. The advice already given is good. The ATP is excellent at pinpointing targets. Learn your machine and it will reward you. Have fun!

DainBrammage

Apr 1, 2014
Desoto County, MS
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All valid methods of pinpointing and hunting for your find.... BUT as you said you are new to this so a word of advice. Save, scratch, scrimp and sell off anything you can, if you can, to get a ProPointer. it will save you countless hours of time searching for your "pinpointed" items. Not all treasure comes out of the hole bright and shiny....

DainBrammage

Apr 1, 2014
Desoto County, MS
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
EDIT: Also do you seasoned vets think a greenhorn should start off digging every target or just dig the higher readings? I have heard both ways. Thanks.

Dig often, dig deep, dig til your fingers hurt, dig anything to learn your tones. Eventually you will be able to pick the "wheat" from the "chaff" by doing this.

PostalTwo

Dec 25, 2012
edmonton
Detector(s) used
whites v3. past detectors bh disc 2200/3300, garrett at gold
i cant imagine not using a pin pointer. there is no hassle regarding a pinpointer, it directs u right to the target it dosent get any easier than that.

OP
OP
bottlecap

bottlecap

Feb 22, 2014
West Metro, Mn
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for all the replies! Went on my first hunt tonight at 10 oclock in the dark, pin pointerless. I did manage to recover some targets but I can DEFINITELY see where a pin pointer would come in handy. I had decent luck pin pointing with the detector but I could have saved a lot of hand fulls of dirt if I had a pin pointer. I'm throwing a collector trap I have on ebay Sunday, it will pay for a White's and then some. I am still pretty stoked about my first hunt, I just came in a little while ago. You can check out my story on the metal detecting thread, it's titled "boy am I lucky!". My very first target was a quarter and I detected it within my first couple swings, it gave me a really high clean tone...man was that exciting!

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My suggestion is if you are going to use the dirt grab across the coil method until you get a pointer, get you a good pair of metal detecting gloves. There are many things in the dirt that you definitely do not want to be cut with.

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Somehow, detectorists managed without a pinpointer for
decades. I've still got a dozen coffee cans full of clad that
I dug long before pin pointers were invented.

Pin pointers are a huge help, but you can do just fine without one.

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeah and people did without electric, gas, running water, indoor crappers, cars..... thats it, I'm moving back into a cave.....

OP
OP
bottlecap

bottlecap

Feb 22, 2014
West Metro, Mn
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I know I should have gloves on and I will in the future, last night I just ran down there on an impulse.

Dwight S

Apr 26, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro & White's TDI & Tesoro Compass uMax
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
In addition to the gloves, get a testis shot if you haven't had one in a while. You WILL cut yourself sometime while detecting.....

Trent67

Mar 21, 2014
Davie, FL
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey I got a accu find pointer with my ATP package deal but I'm sure it is a cheapie. You guys suggest the Garrett Pro?? I have taken a break from beach hunting and have been having a good time at the parks but I really don't like the pointer that came with my machine. I tried using it today and wasn't impressed. The Garrett Pro is definitely worth buying???

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey I got a accu find pointer with my ATP package deal but I'm sure it is a cheapie. You guys suggest the Garrett Pro?? I have taken a break from beach hunting and have been having a good time at the parks but I really don't like the pointer that came with my machine. I tried using it today and wasn't impressed. The Garrett Pro is definitely worth buying???

The question "you guys suggest the Garrett pro?' I don't know your soil conditions or your style of hunting. For me the answer to that question would be no. I would take the new Whites over the Garrett many times over. The Whites can probably match the garrett in most every performance area except speaker volume and side detection. Mine has already lasted longer than my garrett without breaking down. Both company's have excellent service so that is not an argument. The Garrett can no way match the performance of the Whites as far as depth and other one touch features. It is just plain old science verses new science. My way of hunting the Whites fits me very well and I have not had to spend in excess of $28 on shipping and insurance sending it back. As you can probably tell I am an avid pin pointer supporter and user.

Trent67

Mar 21, 2014
Davie, FL
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The question "you guys suggest the Garrett pro?' I don't know your soil conditions or your style of hunting. For me the answer to that question would be no. I would take the new Whites over the Garrett many times over. The Whites can probably match the garrett in most every performance area except speaker volume and side detection. Mine has already lasted longer than my garrett without breaking down. Both company's have excellent service so that is not an argument. The Garrett can no way match the performance of the Whites as far as depth and other one touch features. It is just plain old science verses new science. My way of hunting the Whites fits me very well and I have not had to spend in excess of $28 on shipping and insurance sending it back. As you can probably tell I am an avid pin pointer supporter and user.

Thank you for taking the time to reply. I will look into the Whites. I have been primarily hunting on the beach so i didnt need a pin pointer but i have been hitting some local parks the last few days and it has been a bit of an eye opener. A lot more labor intensive. I am in south Florida.

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My vote is for the TRX also Trent. I used the Garrett for 2 years and loved it but the Whites is a better unit and the GPP is now my backup.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions