AT Pro VDI

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
l think I will do just that. Sorry to bother you.
good luck sheppie I have a test garden and it is just now starting to work good. I buried the coins last fall. I'm picking up a clad dime at nine inches with sens one from full and it's a great tone. Not real loud but def a dig able tone. Coins on edge are hard to figure out sometimes. I dig a lot of trash but every now and then it's something good. Keep at it.

OP
OP
Sheppie22

Sheppie22

Jun 9, 2011
Milford, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac,
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett AT Max
Minelab Equinox 800 and 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Kodiak. Just trying to understand what the AT is telling me. Some of the folks on this forum have short fuses. Appreciate your reply.

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would also call Garrett and tell them what it is doing you may have a bad coil also. They will send you out a new one.

Silversurfer79

Dec 24, 2013
Southern, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
l think I will do just that. Sorry to bother you.

I get wanting to know what the AT Pro is telling you. I have about 60 hours on mine and I now am getting the hang of it. As far as negatively ground balancing 5 points or so it seems to give a bit more depth and sounds off better on coins and silver. Not exactly sure why this is, but it seems to work!

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
A clad quarter at 6 or 7 or 8 inches deep is getting a bit deep for atpro even with big 11dd, then you gotta figure in your sense setting. So, its at the point where the conductive properties of the target "appear" weaker to the tecter so it starts to want to drop into the low tones. Also, the tecters digital display is much slower than the audio feedback so you can never tell what the numbers are trying to say, they lag audio, they are not as fast as the audio in your ears. Numbers are not as fast so they tend to bounce around on a good deeper target, and they may tend to stay toward the higher end or the mid tone end, depending on which way the target tips the digital scale, but they can never make up there mind, so rely on the audio. Never look at the numbers, you will miss targets. On my atpro, deeper crusty wheaties (say four or five inches) start breaking down audio wise, they want to go high but then get low, then a bit high then low, it sounds tempting so I dig them because the proportional audio (VOLUME or loudness) indicates that the target is deeper, so I dig it and it always comes up as a deep wheaty or copper cent. Bronze indian cents are even worse, but I dig them too because the audio indicates a deeper target, I know its not iron, audio is iffy mid/high/mid/high it cant decide what it wants, so I dig it and its a really deep indian or crusty wheat. A six or eight inch clad quarter should not sound very loud either. Another thing, deep alum pull tabs, say five inches, start to break down from mid tone to the lower iron tone then back and forth, but favoring mid tone. These are almost always deep pull tabs. I am sure there are guys that have dug deep mid tones with atpro to be rewarded with a nice deep silver dime, or even a large cent. Detectors work on conductivity, not on actual target. A five pound gold nugget will give high pitch if its one inch deep. A five pound hunk of silver will give low iron tone if its two feet deep. Numbers have use, but I prefer to ignore them.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't get a low tone on a coin at any depth...maybe your sens is too high and your getting a false...if not then you've got one weird AT pro that I wouldn't trust.

rks1949

May 13, 2013
Lawrenceville,Il.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett AT Max, Nokta Simplex +, Nokta Legend ,Garrett Pro Pointer , Fisher F Point, Garrett Digging Tool, Gator Razor, Digging Tool, Sampson Digger, Get the Track Hoe! It's a deep one! :)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I some times get a high/low tone when trash is on or right next to the target. Or a nickel is close to, or on top of a dime/quarter (coin spill). The other day I hit a quarter with a dime laying on top of it,and after looking into the hole again,there was another dime laying in the imprint of the quarter!:censored: So the quarter had a dime on each side,and it hit in the mid to high range tones,had I looked at the numbers,I would have passed it up! I hunt with my ears,99% of the time,the numbers will lie to ya!

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't get a low tone on a coin at any depth...maybe your sens is too high and your getting a false...if not then you've got one weird AT pro that I wouldn't trust.

Sorry about that when I wrote low or lower tone in my reply, I meant to say that it drops from high pitch to the MID tone. Not low iron tone. On crusty copper or bronze coins and such including deep rotten clad dimes. Sorry about the faux pa. atpro is not the hottest machine out there but its decent on audio id as far as three tone machines go. If yer on the ball and listen deep and you start dominating a 8 inch deep small corroded copper or bronze cent, it WONT go low tone, but it might dance with mid tone. If you are hovering over a 5" deep gold band or pull tab it will dance between mid tone and low iron tone. Dig any deep targets.

dustytrails123

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer Se Pro,Garrett At/Pro,Garrett Ace 350,Tesoro Cibola,Tesoro Outlaw,Bounty Hunter SharpShooter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just dug a merc at about 5 inches the other day with the at pro and it was bouncing all over from quarters to mids to low iron grunts...other 2 dimes and 1 quarter i dug the same day in the same ground rang dead on the vdi but all those dead ringers were only 2 or 3 inches max ...moral of the story dig all the deep targets because it lies like my ex old lady

CladGrabber

Oct 10, 2013
Tulsa Ok
Detector(s) used
AT PRO...Equinox 800...garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just dug a merc at about 5 inches the other day with the at pro and it was bouncing all over from quarters to mids to low iron grunts...other 2 dimes and 1 quarter i dug the same day in the same ground rang dead on the vdi but all those dead ringers were only 2 or 3 inches max ...moral of the story dig all the deep targets because it lies like my ex old lady

What was in the hole with the 5" merc?

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A merc at 5" with iron grunts? Strange.
I wouldn't consider 5" a deep target by any means.
Not strange when there is iron in the hole with it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions