Gone Tickin

Oct 24, 2013
Stratham NH
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, White's Spectrum XLT,
Garrett Pin Pointer, Lesche Digger Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All you ATPro users out there, has anyone ever, thought of, or used, a BIGGER COIL than the standard 8 1/2 X 11???? If there is anyone that has tryed one could I get some insite on your opinon on the bigger coil. I have been looking at NEL 12" x 13" DD Tornado Coil and the NEL 15" Inch Attack Coil, they are a little pricey. I am mainly looking for any PROs & CONs about useing a bigger coil before I buy one.

Thanks in advance for your help, Ray

tcornel

Aug 11, 2011
NE Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, 17" & 6" coils, Equinox 800, Propointer AT, Stealth 920i, Lesche Sampson and digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ray,

I have the NEL attack coil and have been out a few times with it. It goes about 3" deeper in dirt as I was pulling targets at 10" with solid signals, not broken up.

I also had it in the Atlantic in Ft. Lauderdale area and I was unable to tell as none of the targets were more than 6" and the ones in the water
were only 3 to 4.

Ground balance is tricky. You will need to back off on the sensitivity while balancing and pump the coil much slower. Up North I was able to run the same sensitivity as the smaller stock and 6x8 coils and pinpointing was good. In the salt water I had to back off one notch from my standard 2 notches from the top.

If you get a bigger coil also get a harness as the weight distribution will kill your shoulder and arms. Attach the harness to just above the balance point for dry land and up about 3" further when in the ocean to compensate for buoyancy.

Depth aside I do think the biggest advantage to the coil is the amount of ground covered with each swing.

Tom

rc2125

Feb 15, 2010
Indiana/Michigan border
Detector(s) used
~ XP Deus II & Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got an NEL Tornado 12x13 for my AT Gold a short time ago. It performs great, is very stable, adds a couple inches of depth compared to the 8.5x11 and is not too heavy. It really likes gold and nickels. Really like it so far!

Also tried the NEL Hunter coil, in all my air and test garden trials, it did not offer any advantage over the 8.5x11 DD, actually a little less depth on most items.

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Fisher Teknetics Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All you ATPro users out there, has anyone ever, thought of, or used, a BIGGER COIL than the standard 8 1/2 X 11???? If there is anyone that has tryed one could I get some insite on your opinon on the bigger coil. I have been looking at NEL 12" x 13" DD Tornado Coil and the NEL 15" Inch Attack Coil, they are a little pricey. I am mainly looking for any PROs & CONs about useing a bigger coil before I buy one.

Thanks in advance for your help, Ray

A general rule of thumb is, that the bigger coils go deeper but may be shallower on smaller targets or lose them altogether. There are tradeoffs....

And as others mentioned, the off balance extra weight can be a bother. I have a 10x14 coil for GTP1350, hate the thing, balance and weight is bad for me, but then it doesn't bother other people.

metaljunkie

Sep 15, 2013
Thunder Bay
Detector(s) used
Deus with 11" coil
Home made water kit for deus
Garrett at pro with stock coil
5x8 coil
nel hunter coil
Pro pointer
Garrett euro ace
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I too wanted a deeper seeking coil, but was worried about target separation. So I settled on the nel hunter. It is one inch longer with the same width, as the stock coil. Yet much more sensitive and deeper with the same setting. I would say by 1-2 inches. also the vdi seems to extend deeper too.

All this has made a big difference in my favorite park to hunt. The park dates to the early 1800's. with the original ground 4 inches deep. Putting the five and ten cent old silver 7-9 inches deep. Last year with the stock coil i did well. But had to realy scrub and work the signals. Lots of swinging to confirm my faint sounding targets. With the nel, much less effort is involved in finding and confirming targets. As the added depth seems to stabilize the quiet tones and bring them to your ears.

Yes I am finding more silver than ever. Also finding my well hunted home sites, have a few more treasures hiding. so cool when you find targets, you have detected over numorus times...

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cons:
Heavier
Costlier
Min depth gain
Loss of separation

Pros: