gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
Hunting in the rain the other day my atpro started chattering and beeping and popping and jumping and the numbers were going all wacky and I think bad coil. Nope, water in the brainbox. Out of warranty so off to surgery. I now remember seeing steamy fine water droplets in there last season but did not think much of it at the time. The hardest part about all this is getting up the nerve to peel off the faceplate sticker. After that, its two tamper proof screws and pull off the faceplate. Yer inside the brain box in less than five minutes. I had left a muddy mess around the push buttons which showed clear evidence of the leak path. Water works its way between the silicone push pad and the clear faceplate and then its inside the box. The main o ring around the perimeter of the faceplate was muddy and dirty but it did not leak. Be careful of the two speaker wires, they go into push sockets, and the only good way to remove them is to insert a sewing needle into the socket which releases the wire. Just push the wires back into to sockets when done. Disassemble and meticulously clean all components. Dry everything with a hot hair dryer. Lube the main o ring with silicone grease. Lube the silicone rubber touch pad with silicone grease. My machine works like new now.

DSC01622.JPG
DSC01623.JPG
DSC01624.JPG
DSC01627.JPG
DSC01631.JPG

Sledgod2

May 31, 2013
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
BH Quick Draw II,
Garrett AT Pro,
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for this... It may come in handy some day.

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree I'll post on this so I'll have it after warranty runs out. Thanks. What did you use to glue sticker back on?

Last edited:
OP
OP
gleaner1

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
The most difficult part of this is getting the speaker wires off. There is a little white square cap that snaps over the wire plug socket, remove this first. Then you insert a pin into each socket to release the wire. I am sorry I forgot to take picks of the silicone rubber push pad but you can imagine it sandwiched in there. I had to buy a thirty dollar socket kit from Sears it had the tamper proof torx bit needed to remove the two faceplate screws. Another tricky thing is peeling off the faceplate sticker, do it slowly and carefully. Start out on the edge with a butter knife to get it started then slowly peel it off. The sticker is thick plastic and will kink if you bend it too much. After putting the faceplate back on and screws are tight, clean the faceplate with paper towels and rubbing alcohol, get all dirt and silicone grease off so that its perfectly clean. Do not touch the adhesive side of the faceplate sticker, make sure it stays perfectly clean. When ready, warm up the sticker with a hair dryer and carefully position onto faceplate and press all around. The adhesive is very good and I dont foresee it peeling off on its own. With a bit of skill and confidence, almost anybody can do this repair. Good luck!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions