JunkShopFiddler

Bronze Member
Feb 15, 2013
SW Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTP 1350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey all, been a Garrett faithful for over 30 years and have never had a problem before this year...my old '84 Master Hunter finally gave out and I bought an AT Pro...Not trying to start a fight with AT Pro fans but it was just not for me. Here in So. Indiana we don't have beaches, battlefields, or locales with 200+ year old histories so I hunt trashy places, parks, ball fields, and residences.

The AT Pro I had would not shut up in any of the modes. Drove me nuts, ID'd rusty bottle caps in the coin range every time. I called Garrett and they asked for it back, they then said it was defective and offered me any new detector of the same price, so I took a GTP 1350. I absolutely love this detector. Shortly after, went to a trashy park and pulled out a 1922 Peace Dollar from the middle of several aluminum cans, and the 1350's profiler got each one sized correctly!

So at this point the 1350 is all messed up, if I notch out pulltabs and all else to the left of copper pennies it will signal a quarter, visually and audibly, and upon digging I find a pull tab...(with pull tabs notched out). Then I realized I was not finding quarters in ball parks when my friends were finding plenty, and upon testing, the detector would not signal at all on real quarters in the ground. It has warranty left on it, so I sent Garrett a video of a test hole showing the exact problem, they said to send the detector back. That was three weeks ago.

Finally got a call today and they said the test hole I dug for the video was not the same as an actual target in the field and that I should not rely on home made test holes. They said nothing is wrong with it and they are sending it back without any repairs!

How stupid would I have to be to have sent my detector away based on a home made test hole? I told them if they can't figure it out then put in a new circuit board(s) in it or send me a replacement detector. I don't even think they took the time to look at it at all, just watched the vid I sent in and hoped I was a know-nothing.

Told the phone rep that the problem was occurring in the field many, many times before I made a test hole video, then his tone changed to that of a kicked loser and said very sheepishly, "aaaa...weeeeelll. aaaa. see what, a we can do.

Waited through the longest worst winter here in memory, bought a new Propointer and now that the perfect digging conditions are here, No detector. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA! Thanks for letting me vent!...HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread