2 silver mercs @ public park for the newbie

C L A D Z I L L A

May 8, 2014
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Garrett pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've had my AT Pro for about a month. And love it! I'm new to MD'ing and have about 40 hours on the machine. Sometimes I'm skeptical about its ability to give consistent signals from +5" but it may just be my lack of practice.

The 2 mercury dimes I found were about 20' apart so I'm hoping there's more nearby. The first one I had the large stock coil on and the signal was very inconsistent, in pro coin mode, ground balance adjust down to 70.. It it was primary 84, to 90 but occasionally popped mid 70s. It was about 6" down and directly below about a 1 1/2 inch root,, would that affect the signal??

I've been primarily using the 5x8 and shortly after this find I ditched the large coil again because it was so difficult to pinpoint with multiple targets around.

The second dime was a great learning experience. The signal bounced from mostly a loud 94 to 84 but occasionally 78 and the tone would roll,, I was thinking maybe foil or can slaw.... I understand the dig it all mantra but this is located at a mow every other day soccer complex with games every day and a grounds crew that has been keeping a close eye on me but hasn't bounced me yet and I want to keep it that way. Long story short I found the merc around 6" back filled rescanned and got a consistent hit again which turned out to be a dime sized foil about an inch over from the original plug... I don't think I would have dug this with the large coil... Lol anyway so much to learn

Love this forum it's helped a lot, thanks everybody

Attachments

• image-1777856485.jpg
    image-1777856485.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 92
  • image-1209565717.jpg
    image-1209565717.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 103
  • image-1696220041.jpg
    image-1696220041.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 96

Jeremy S

Feb 27, 2012
God's Country
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250, AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice finds! I was using the exact same settings as you today at a very old hunted out school. I managed to pull 3 wheat pennies from the trashy ground. No silver, but I plan on making at least one more trip back to only hit high tones.

The pennies that I found were all 4" - 6" deep and had very inconsistent signals like you experienced.

badpenny

Mar 28, 2013
NE PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds. I found many coins but no Mercury dimes. Congratulations!

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome mercs. Congrats.

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As far as going deep with the ATP, it almost takes a different approach..as the deeper stuff WILL show up, but will be VERY faint...you won't get a nice, clean chirp from a deep target, but more of a whisper. Actually, sometimes I have dug deep, good targets with my ATP when I have a faint, high tone and NO vdi display. If you can get the signal, no matter how faint, to repeat...DIG IT!..If getting a very high tone but very faint and is repeatable, raise the coil up off the ground just a little, and if you lose the signal almost immediately, that is a deep signal that needs dug. Now don't get me wrong, it is not a foolproof method as I have dug my lions share of trash, but have also dug a lot of GREAT pieces that I most likely would have passed on had I not learned this from a friend. Hope this helps...HH..ddf

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread