On air test. My 5x8 will read a dime at front10+ "

Sent from my SCH-S738C using TreasureNet in the middle of a field somewhere

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It seems I am only able to get a quarter at about 5 inches. I average coins at about 3 to 4 inches in depth. Does anybody have any experience with getting a new stock coil from Garrett and noticing more depth? I have an AT Pro and ideal conditions. Full sensitivity.

90+% of my coin digs are sub 5" regardless of what machine I'm using. They find deeper ones when they're there. You're probably in areas where there aren't any deeper coins.

OP
OP
tymber79

tymber79

Jan 9, 2014
The area I hunt are un hunted private homes from the late 1800s, early 1900s. Should be some deeper silver but not getting it. I only get a quarter at 5 inches in test garden with wet soil.

OP
OP
tymber79

tymber79

Jan 9, 2014
Love love love the detector but feel like things are missing.

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The area I hunt are un hunted private homes from the late 1800s, early 1900s. Should be some deeper silver but not getting it. I only get a quarter at 5 inches in test garden with wet soil.

Unless these homes have been owned by the same families since the 60's and can guarantee nobody has put a detector to it, I wouldn't count on it.

My test garden yield the same results. Out in the real world on real digs, I dig 8" pennies & dimes with enough frequency that I don't worry about it. This is all done with the 5x8 coil BTW.

When I first got my ATP it I doubted it's depth capabilities. (There is a lengthy thread I started about a year ago talking about it.) Took awhile for it to show me some depth but once it did, I was convinced.

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sometimes deeper targets are masked by iron, nails, etc on top of these silver targets. If you aren't digging anything over 5 inches, try running with iron audio on to see if iron masking is present. If there aren't any iron signals, either your machine is defective, not ground balanced properly, or there aren't any deeper targets at that location.

Wayne

Metal Detector Sales and Rentals | Fisher, Garrett, Minelab, Lesche and DetectorPro

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sometimes deeper targets are masked by iron, nails, etc on top of these silver targets. If you aren't digging anything over 5 inches, try running with iron audio on to see if iron masking is present. If there aren't any iron signals, either your machine is defective, not ground balanced properly, or there aren't any deeper targets at that location.

Wayne

Yeah good call Wayne.

Ive been working a site that has produced A LOT of great stuff. Silver from dollars to dimes, large cent, Wheats, IH's, old Norwegian coin, rings you name it! Most of that stuff was in the top 6". It is now getting really difficult to find worth while targets. I'm convinced we are missing things because of iron masking as there has to be no less than a billion nails in the yard.
I have started to run with Iron Audio on full time at this site and am digging EVERYTHING that tones above my iron disc setting. It's tedious, I dig a lot a junk, I pulled lots of nails out every time I go. But I feel I must continue to get the crap out so I can find the tasty morsel hiding there still!

OP
OP
tymber79

tymber79

Jan 9, 2014
This is good information and good advice, thanks. However, in clean dirt, I buried a quarter 6 inches down and I can barely pick it up with full sensitivity and proper ground balance, on pro zero with 00 iron, and all direction, with new batteries. Garret is sending me a new coil. Has this happened to anybody and has a new coil made a difference?

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This is good information and good advice, thanks. However, in clean dirt, I buried a quarter 6 inches down and I can barely pick it up with full sensitivity and proper ground balance, on pro zero with 00 iron, and all direction, with new batteries. Garret is sending me a new coil. Has this happened to anybody and has a new coil made a difference?

Freshly buried coins are not the same as coins that have been in the ground for years. There is no halo effect present and they do not pick up well at depth with any detector. Are you saying you have never dug a coin at 5-6" anywhere you have detected?

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron masking is a big problem and even with the 5x8 you have to clear some of that iron to find the good stuff. I have a test garden and my pro is getting a dime at 9" it's a good signal but not very loud. Use headphones.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread