When Do You Change Your Batteries? (ATP)

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
Many times I run them until the machine starts making constant noise telling me the batteriers are dead.
I for sure run until I'm down to one bar. One bar will go for hours so if a ran on one bar for hours the day before I'll go ahead and change them before I go out the next time just to avoid dealing with a battery change in the field with dirty hands.

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
If you put 14 volts to your ATP you will not have to worry about batteries. A fire extinguisher maybe but definitely not batteries. And where do you get a cord to plug it into your computer?

I think Dave P replied to the wrong thread or something. Four alkalines in series gets you six volts plus a tad more on hot new cells. I swap out when the bars start to dance between two and one bars. I trust it. Electronics work on steady voltage thanks to voltage regulators. The working voltage is regulated at the same voltage as tired bats, so the performance is steady down to the point where the bats are practically spent. It is not true that fresh batteries work better than tired batteries, because the working voltage is regulated at the voltage of tired batteries.

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would say it is possible the voltage regulator is not right.

acefish64

Tenderfoot
Dec 29, 2007
For some reason my ATPro (an early one, returned once) seems more sensitive at 2 bars or below, or at least some of my better finds have been right before the batteries crapped out on me. I noticed the same thing on my ACE250. I swap in the charged set when the last bar starts blinking. Since the first of the year I have been swapping between two sets of Sanyo/Enerloop Ni-MH AA's. Love them, they last a long time!

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive got two sets of Energizer rechargeable. When Im at two bars I change them out. Ive never seen a loss of performance and I never worry because Im always hunting with hot batteries. Ive had these batteries for 3 years and they still hold a great charge. I leave them in my machine for weeks without use and they hold their charge. Ive saved lots of money and have peace of mind every time I hunt. I don't know why people don't use rechargeable.

sailoffwithme

May 19, 2014
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, pro pointer, AT Gold, Vulcan pointer
NEL 15 inch coil amazing
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
one bar gone and I change them looking for a charger and a load tester maybe they will last longer but most times I do 12 to 16 hour long hunt so one bar gone and I change them so I do not run out in the middle of the next hunt and I always have backups in the car! But I could be miles from the car

Last edited:

sailoffwithme

May 19, 2014
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, pro pointer, AT Gold, Vulcan pointer
NEL 15 inch coil amazing
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you put 14 volts to your ATP you will not have to worry about batteries. A fire extinguisher maybe but definitely not batteries. And where do you get a cord to plug it into your computer?

computer have various voltages coming from the power supply 1.5v all the way to 12v UBC cable is low voltage

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread