C L A D Z I L L A

C L A D Z I L L A

May 8, 2014
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Garrett pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Some interesting feedback. I really like the AT Pro wasn't intending to "flame on." I was really thinking of low cost tweaks and not really how to reinvent the wheel.

I'm new to detecting and I'm a little surprised that there's not a "new and improved" version of all brands every year like in some other hobbies, for instance compound bow companies have a new model every year that's "lighter" "faster" "more forgiving" etc... I guess I'm kinda happy that's not the status quo in MDing. But if the pro was reworked a little I'd probably buy one and keep the one I have to take friends with me that don't MD and for a backup.

tcornel

Aug 11, 2011
NE Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, 17" & 6" coils, Equinox 800, Propointer AT, Stealth 920i, Lesche Sampson and digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1. Easier access to plug ins.
2. More powerful processor with perhaps one more frequency.
3. Back lit display with larger led's.
4. Better balance.
5. gps tracking

NeilinFR

Oct 11, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 ltd
Minelab Etrac
Xterra 705
Shadow X5
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I would like to see the coil cables long enough to be able to chest mount the control pod. That way when water hunting you wouldnt have to push the control pod through the water. It does make a difference.
I called garrett and asked them to do this and they wont.

mohawkman4081

May 5, 2012
CT
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX or Whites Clasic Id
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A beach mode that cancels out black sand and stays perfectly balanced.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fella

Yea #1 for sure it's not easy to hook up the coils or earphones at all!! Maybe would be cool to have the plug in for the phones facing toward the user so you don't have the wire loop back, or heck just make it with wireless headphones.
#2 agreed
#3 agreed,, I got both coils in the spring special and forgot some ppl had to buy the 5x8. I don't use the big one at all.
#4 agreed,, I'm a newbie and I quickly realized standard mode is a waste of time.
#5 I'm not sure what you mean?
Standard mode is the only way mine runs stable in salt environment.

thommo59

Mar 6, 2014
Australia
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Garrett AT PRO
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1. Wireless headphone, I just did this to my AT PRO
2. Either a 5 x 8 coil or a lighter coil
3. light weight harness to support it on your shoulder
4. Get rid of those horrible plugs for the coil and headphones

OP
OP
C L A D Z I L L A

C L A D Z I L L A

May 8, 2014
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Garrett pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Standard mode is the only way mine runs stable in salt environment.

Thanks for the tip! I hope to use it in salt water on vacations.

Thought of another one; Auto shut off after 10-15 minutes of no movement. Really shouldn't need that one (duh) but I had a hunt cut short this afternoon and when I resumed the hunt 5 hours later I realized I left it on in the back of my truck with new batteries. Probably not the last time I do that, probably not the only one that's happened to.

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All metal mode
Freq changes from like 8-15-18
Better balance with stock DD coil
Get rid of the standard mode

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Fisher Teknetics Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its deeper than an F70...you done been told wrong.

Nothing "told" about it, my F70 does circles around the ATPro in my test garden. Maybe it's the iron rich red clay in Arkansas the Garretts can't handle?

Anyway, a real option I need is for Garrett and anyone else, bring back "surface elimination" as on the GTA1000

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
Atpro is atpro. It is what it is. If you improve upon it, it will be something different, and something more expensive. The new improved Atpro wont be an atpro, that's the rub. It will be the ATHolyCrap!ICANTAFFORDITPRO. LMAO.

vanner1

Jun 21, 2011
Instead of the standard mode, it would be great to have the international /or US version where standard is (depending on which version you have)....
Would also like the high tone to be adjustable down to the mid 60 range

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Backlight display
Coils that run more stable in pro mode like the NEL coils
Coil & headphone hookups that are very easy to get to and change
The headphone hookup to be under the arm cuff stand
Bigger screen
Control case made out of something that doesn't scratch
A better stand so when you sit it down it does not fall over

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Atpro is atpro. It is what it is. If you improve upon it, it will be something different, and something more expensive. The new improved Atpro wont be an atpro, that's the rub. It will be the ATHolyCrap!ICANTAFFORDITPRO. LMAO.
lol now that's the truth and funny at same time.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It might not be improved, but certainly changed. I don't like the headphone knob on the front of the ATP as they are hard to change, but I only had to do this once, but there is more stress on the headphone cable. It comes with a large coil for the guys that think depth is everything. The 5x8 is better balance and weight. I don't use the screen except to view which mode of settings I have set. The use of a true All Metal ZERO MOTION mode would really set it apart. Being almost a real water detector it has to be made heavier to with stand the water pressure even at 10 feet. The newer ATP's were too hot and more susceptible to EMI so later ones were dumbed down, a good thing as many thought they HAD to run it at max sensitivity. Aside from also adding a beer spigot I see no way to improve it without adding cost.

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
Sandman, I've been studying the atpro since it was released. They never "dumbed down" the sense, how on earth did you come up with that? How do you get inside info about Garrett engineering secrets? Do you work there? Garrett wont comment on, or confirm or deny such topics. No manufacturer will. Garrett actually cranked the sense up a bit on atpro's once they got the bugs out and things started going smoothly on the production line. My atpro cranked max is the most stable machine I have used ever. Garrett did not fix anything by "dumbing down" anything. Having said all this, I think they should crank up the sense even more, but this will require tooling/circuit changes and adds cost, and it wont be an atpro anymore. They might beef up the plastic cuff or some other stuff, but it will still be an atpro, and it will still have the same price.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions