Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
1) Give it a flat back on the control box for better access to the plugs.
2) Remove the block disk segments and give it bigger 2 digit display.
3) 5x8 as standard
4) Offer only pro modes
5) True AM w/thresh.
6) Backlit

roaddust66

Sep 22, 2013
Chattanooga Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Impact , Tejon . Fisher F75, Vaquero, uMaxSilver, Cibola , Delta 4000, F2, Ace350 , original Bandido
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have never used one but my partner just traded his off for a T2. The AT Pro seemed to feel a little heavy to me for this day and age.

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
If you add features, you add cost. How much do you want to spend? atpro is a rock bottom mechanical with a nice circuit and waterproof at a good price. If they can get the balance point at the wrist (with big coils) and keep the price the same (or a bit more) that would be a good move. Backlight is nice, but that will certainly add cost.

OP
OP
C L A D Z I L L A

C L A D Z I L L A

May 8, 2014
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Garrett pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
1) Give it a flat back on the control box for better access to the plugs. 2) Remove the block disk segments and give it bigger 2 digit display. 3) 5x8 as standard 4) Offer only pro modes 5) True AM w/thresh. 6) Backlit

Fella

Yea #1 for sure it's not easy to hook up the coils or earphones at all!! Maybe would be cool to have the plug in for the phones facing toward the user so you don't have the wire loop back, or heck just make it with wireless headphones.
#2 agreed
#3 agreed,, I got both coils in the spring special and forgot some ppl had to buy the 5x8. I don't use the big one at all.
#4 agreed,, I'm a newbie and I quickly realized standard mode is a waste of time.
#5 I'm not sure what you mean?

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Maybe would be cool to have the plug in for the phones facing toward the user so you don't have the wire loop back, or heck just make it with wireless headphones.

#5 I'm not sure what you mean?

I use an 1/4" adaptor and it exits under the arm cuff so that works well. I can't submerge it beyond that point but I'm never that deep anyway.

5) All Metal with threshold. Makes it easier to detect deeper smaller targets.

TheCaribbeanDigger

Aug 15, 2013
Puerto Rico
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Fisher F75, Garrett AT Pro, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fella has put some great points on what to upgrade on the ATP. No it's my turn and not nessesarly in order:

1. Lower weight.
Its not a block but it could be less heavier.

2. Back lit display.
While to me I just simply use my head band light and problem solved.

3. All metal mode

4. Thresh hold adjustability

5. Analog control knob/knobs
I just love these type of controls, though you can adjust in small increments!

6. Bigger display and modify or change the small tabs icons.

7. Multiple freq. adjustability like on those nicely equipped minelabs.

8. Yes definitely the access to its cable plugs.
I don't mind the type of connectors but give it a little more space to put or pull out the plugs. I have med to small hands and its difficult to remove or install those suckers in! Imagine big guys with even bigger hands!

Well to me this would make a nice upgrade to the AT Pro. Probably they would change the name from "AT Pro" to "AT Ultimate" or AT Pro Plus...and I imagine the Price Plus too...

Fourman110

Jun 22, 2013
Cedar Rapids IA area
Detector(s) used
Manticore
AT Pro
E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1. Backlight (surprised nobody's come up with an aftermarket light)
2. Inverse audio button that will make the deeper targets louder than the shallow
3. Additional tones for the high end of the range (or across the spectrum)
4. User definable tones (at least provide a pick list of tones)

metaljunkie

Sep 15, 2013
Thunder Bay
Detector(s) used
Deus with 11" coil
Home made water kit for deus
Garrett at pro with stock coil
5x8 coil
nel hunter coil
Pro pointer
Garrett euro ace
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My add ons would be...
Straight shaft for added balance, with stiffer build.
Battery location in rear shaft of detector, for near perfect balance with stock coil.
thresh hold adjustable.
O LED display.
A clock with alarm.
a slightly better build.

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A volume control and backlight. It would cost them next to nothing if they designed them into the original circuitry.

HenryWaltonJonesJr

Sep 2, 2013
Downtown Chicago
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, AT Pro, Compadre, SeaHunter II, AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In going to 2nd the volume control right on the face. It doesn't need to be its own buttons, but hold another +\- sensitivity or something.

The knobs on the headphones are fine, but if you have underwater or other headphones you're stuck with it. Also if you're joint hunting and using the speaker you can't turn it down as to not annoy anyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Flame on. I don't think some people realize how good the AT series detectors are. The AT Pro did not get to be the #1 selling detector because it had a bunch of garbage on it that never gets used and costs more and has more stuff to go wrong and uses more batteries and has outdated features. People aren't buying those types of detectors. Garrett's work in Iron Identification is top of the industry. The other companies know it and are spewing their propaganda in hopes that a few people will take their bait. Their tactics aren't working too good. I have to believe these flamers are not happy. You never see AT owners flaming other detectors.

If you wanted All Metal mode and Threshold you had the choice to buy the AT Gold which also has other nice features. The AT Gold has nowhere near the sales volume as the AT Pro but it still has more sales than many other detectors.

Last edited:

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Someone mentioned they didn't like the speaker volume too loud. You could always put a piece of cloth over the speaker opening to quiet it some. More layers if needed. I'd be careful not to get it wet. Probably could remove the door and put a piece of plastic in there with a couple holes for ventilation. Seems like you would lose some sound quality.

Trent67

Mar 21, 2014
Davie, FL
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Only detector I have owned. I like it the way that it is. I have nothing to compare it to but I have learned it very well in the 3 months that I have owned it and wouldn't change a thing. Ive got a sweet RTG beach scoop and a pair of Grey Ghost Amphibian headsets so I am good to go! Ignorance is bliss!!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread