1st full day hunt with 5x8 equals quarter trifecta.

Sheppie22

Jun 9, 2011
Milford, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac,
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett AT Max
Minelab Equinox 800 and 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Received permission to hunt a 1860 home today and a buddy and myself went to check it out. Thought I would leave the Etrac in the car today and get some more experience with the AT Pro. Started out with the stock coil but quickly found out that the entire small yard was iron infested. A quick switch to the 5x8 coil was in order. It was my first chance to really try out the coil and I don't know if it will ever come off. Even with all the iron I was able to pull out 47 coins with 15 of them being quarters. Someone must have had a quarter fight. It was very easy to pick out the good signals between all of the iron. Just had to go slow. I repeat,,,,,, Slow. Many of the coins that I dug had nails in with them. Both the Barber and the SLQ where between 7-8 inches and the Merc was a good 7 inches. Very impressed with this coil and the AT Pro for that matter. Don't get me wrong. I still love my Etrac, however they compliment each other very well. Each has it's strengths.

Attachments

• IMG_6939.jpg
    IMG_6939.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_6944.jpg
    IMG_6944.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 158

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Glad you're coming to terms with the ATP as it didn't start out that way. The 5x8 is the way to go as you have now learned. It's plenty deep enough and works iron and other trash well and makes it much more pleasant to swing.

Nice haul of coins BTW. I haven't hit a Barber in over a year! I'm Jealous!

oakhunter27

Mar 25, 2010
ohio
Very nice finds the ATP does great in the iron

Sent from my SCH-S738C using TreasureNet in the middle of a field somewhere

oakhunter27

Mar 25, 2010
ohio
Nice finds the ATP does great in the iron

Sent from my SCH-S738C using TreasureNet in the middle of a field somewhere

OP
OP
Sheppie22

Sheppie22

Jun 9, 2011
Milford, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac,
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Glad you're coming to terms with the ATP as it didn't start out that way. The 5x8 is the way to go as you have now learned. It's plenty deep enough and works iron and other trash well and makes it much more pleasant to swing.

Thanks, you are correct. Just had to give it some time. It is a totally different detector with the 5x8 on there.

OP
OP
Sheppie22

Sheppie22

Jun 9, 2011
Milford, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac,
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome finds. How did the older silver quarters read on the VDI?
Both we're bouncing around a lot from no vdi to occasionally hitting 86 but could hear the faint high tone.

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome finds sheppie congrats

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Very nice finds. I have no silver quarters and you got three different ones in a single hunt... damn...

OP
OP
Sheppie22

Sheppie22

Jun 9, 2011
Milford, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac,
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Thanks, I figured that I would quit pestering everyone on here and just get out and learn the machine. It definitely can do the job.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread