Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
I really am not confused … Just all these explanation's here has me confused..

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
Just keep your ears peeled to the tones coming out of your 'phones (forced directly into your brain box so as you can tell what the crap is), and your eyes peeled on the center of the coil, and never look at the screen and please please keep the quirky Iron Audio set to OFF. That's all you really gotta know with atpro. That's really all there is to it.

HenryWaltonJonesJr

Sep 2, 2013
Downtown Chicago
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, AT Pro, Compadre, SeaHunter II, AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
For me to get it I had to think of it backwards. If you put the disc at 40 and turn iron audio on it will sound the same as zero mode. Now lower the disc to 35 and 35-40 will ring in at mid tones and lower numbers low tones.

I really only run it in zero mode and time to time get fooled by a bottle cap, but not too often.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
For me to get it I had to think of it backwards. If you put the disc at 40 and turn iron audio on it will sound the same as zero mode. Now lower the disc to 35 and 35-40 will ring in at mid tones and lower numbers low tones.

I really only run it in zero mode and time to time get fooled by a bottle cap, but not too often.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You are not on board with IA yet HWJJ. You are wrong. Okay, let me explain further. This is excellent stuff. So, if you set iron scrim to 40, IA OFF, you wont hear any iron (well, almost). Its all scrimmed out, you should only hear mid tone or high pitch silver and copper. You wont hear the small minor iron low tone chatter that I like to hear. Anyway, this is all good so far.

Now, as soon as you turn IA ON, you are swinging a totally different machine. With iron scrim number cranked to 40, and IA set ON, ALL iron will give the busy low/high/low audio response, it would be like your red headed stepson on crystal meth, you will want to throw the frikin atpro under a bus. That's why Garrett advises against IA in the trash. Just dont use IA. Learn the atpro and forget about IA. It's easy, just forget about it. It's more of a pain in the arse than the atpro itself.

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
It's no secret. IA is made for beginners to deal with round rusty bottle caps and steel washers. Nails and crushed up small rust do not fool atpro, this crap gives the nice low tone iron response. Nails are handled very very nicely by atpro, never popping. After a while, round rust like crowns and washers wont fool you if you are using your ears. Iron response with normal mode is totally normal. Iron response with IA on is a different thing.

Last edited:

chopperdog

May 18, 2014
Indianapolis, IN
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO / Minelab X-Terra 705 /Minelab 505 / XP Deus / Makro Racer 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
IMHO, I always have it on, and run pro zero--- here is why. 2 times while detecting highly mineralized soil with the iron disc set at 35, I visually saw coins on the surface, as I ran the detector over the coins, it made no response. nothing, completely ignored the coins, due to iron masking I assume. ---I think that if you run any disc, you are eliminating potential targets. Just my opinion, -- HH

Fields0325

Jan 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This seemed to help me understand a little better

Attachments

• 1453487057548.jpg
    1453487057548.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 153

rick67

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2014
Smithtown NY
Detector(s) used
XP, Whites, Garrett,
Lesche, T-Rex, RTG.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No need to be sorry. It happens.

Molewacker

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2015
Yacolt WA
Detector(s) used
EQ 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I for one am happy this old thread got bumped - it was the best iron audio overview I have found - just got my at Pro and iron audio is still being figured out!

rick67

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2014
Smithtown NY
Detector(s) used
XP, Whites, Garrett,
Lesche, T-Rex, RTG.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't use it.
Pro mode zero. No discrimination.
All it does is allow the few who Discriminate to hear what the ones that don't discriminate hear, but the ones that use it still don't hear the same tones as the ones that don't.
If you use discrimination and want to change to zero its like a new detector all over again.

Digger Max

Oct 27, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030
E-TRAC
ATPro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Bumping a old thread is good because it brings good info to the forefront for new users of the ATPro.
Lots of good info gets buried here at TNet. HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread