ATpro Iron Audio. Still confused.

TippecanoeRecovery

Tenderfoot
May 16, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Okay. I know this is an issue that has been hashed out before but the iron audio feature just doesn't click in my brain yet. So, I'm watching folks on YouTube, one being Bill Ladd, using an ATgold, iron discrimination set at 39 and has iron audio on. I guess I don't understand why iron audio at 39 descrim when you can run the machine at 0 descrim with iron audio off. Isn't is really the same thing? I just dont see how the iron audio is advantageous versus running in all metal mode, which is what I do. I need to put this dog to rest. Sorry if this has been hashed out before. I've read many threads about this but still come away with this thought I've posted.

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
Iron audio ON lets all signals ABOVE the iron scrim number to sound MID TONE (except high tone targets, these will sound HIGH TONE). Iron audio ON causes a special enhanced audio response to signals BELOW the iron scrim number. Iron audio is not recommended in high trash areas, it causes the tecter to become very busy audio wise. After you get good with a pro, you will rarely if ever use iron audio.

Last edited:

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Ok so here's the break down on AT Pro and iron audio. so if you want to discriminate out junk targets, most people set it around 35. This will slow you to not hear nails and iron scrap. Now the iron audio feature is just another bonus for targets ringing in sounding good above 35. A bottle cap will sound great without the iron audio on, ringing in at 75-80's as you dig. Now turn the iron audio on and you can hear the grunt it makes as the coil is pulled away from your target. A gold or silver target will have almost no grunt what so ever. Hope this helps more. IGH.

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
The thing about all this is that with atpro with IA OFF, all that is gold and brass and lead and foil and aluminum scrap and pull tabs and 22 shells and such items sound rock solid mid tone. Silver and copper, high pitch. Steel crown caps sound kinda good, but too crappy to even think about. The atpro user wont use IA after a couple hundred hours. No need for it then.

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Iron audio will always give you more analysis of a target your ears can't hear without it being on and you may think its a good target. Even gold, with the iron audio on will give a slight iron squawk because it has other metals inside of it. However, a more ferrous target will give a more pronounced Iron audio signal. You're listening for targets that are crisp and clear all the way through your sweeps. This is what you're listening for if you're looking for gold or silver. Coins on the other hand is another thread. Good luck. HH.

GranvilleATPro

Apr 4, 2014
Lafayette Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett ACE 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A bottle cap will sound great without the iron audio on, ringing in at 75-80's as you dig. Now turn the iron audio on and you can hear the grunt it makes as the coil is pulled away from your target. IGH.

The OP is hunting in pro zero with 0 iron discrimination. Wouldn't he still hear the grunt without iron audio? I think that's what's he's confused about. Why use IA when in pro zero + zero discrimination. I hunt mostly wide open, pro zero + zero and can hear the high low on caps without use of IA.

Last edited:

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Iron audio is for targets that sound good ringing in the gold and silver range and for picking out good targets in extremely iron infested areas. The ....Turn on the iron audio if you're getting a nice crisp 70's signal and see if it still sounds the same. If you hear quite a big change in sound with a squawk or grunt,..most likely an old screw cap, bottle cap or nothing worth digging. Now if not much change in signal is noticed, than prob a good target.

TheCaribbeanDigger

Aug 15, 2013
Puerto Rico
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Fisher F75, Garrett AT Pro, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I rarely use IA. Not saying that it don't work but since 90% of the time I hunt in 0 discrimination I don't activate the feature. If I'm discriminating iron out then I use it when it's nessesary. When you learn your machine you get to the point that it's really not nessesary!

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can tell a bottle cap without iron audio...I never use it.

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
Iron Audio is tough to wrap the mind around. The tricky thing to remember is that with IA ON, any target in the iron range 1 thru 40 will sound mid tone if it’s ABOVE the iron scrim number setting. With IA ON, any target below the iron scrim setting will have the enhanced audio low/high/low audio. IA only manipulates signals in iron range 0 thru 40.

For example, if iron scrim is set to zero, ALL TARGETS WILL SOUND MID TONE WITH IRON AUDIO ON (except the high pitch zone, this will go high pitch). If you set iron scrim to say 20, with IA ON, all targets above 20 up to the max range of mid tone will sound mid tone, even though normally any target up to 40 would sound low tone. Okay, if you understand this, then we can tackle what happens to targets UNDER the iron scrim setting number.

With IA OFF, the machine acts normally, any target under the iron scrim setting will be discriminated, it wont give any tone, which is normal, its scrimmed out, and, any target above the iron scrim number up to forty will give the normal low tone.

With IA ON, any target 0 thru 40 will give some audio response, all iron is allowed regardless of the iron scrim number setting.

With IA ON, any target above the iron scrim number setting will sound mid tone or better.

With IA on, any target below the iron scrim number setting will give the enhanced low/high/low iron audio response.

With IA on, any target from 40 up WILL ACT NORMALLY, regardless if its a gold nugget or ring or coin or bullet or brass or the normal non ferrous crap.

Last edited:

BamaBill

Nov 8, 2006
N. Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-terra 70, AT Pro, Tesoro Tejon, ML X-terra 50
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Finally, a good explanation. If I'm understanding this correctly, IA is an all metal audio that is defined by where the iron discrimination is set.

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
Finally, a good explanation. If I'm understanding this correctly, IA is an all metal audio that is defined by where the iron discrimination is set.

No No No!!! OMG! The only way you can get anywhere near all metal mode with atpro is Pro Mode, Zero Mode (allow all notches), Iron Srim set to Zero. That's how I run it. IA is the farthest thing away from all metal mode that you can get. IA only deals with crappy iron from 0 to 40. Now I'm going to take a Valium and drink a beer. But more importantly, just remember that if you never use IA, you will become a very good atpro user.

Last edited:

nathan104

Feb 23, 2006
Emory TX
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, AT Pro, propointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
irishgoldhound- "A bottle cap will sound great without the iron audio on, ringing in at 75-80's as you dig. Now turn the iron audio on and you can hear the grunt it makes as the coil is pulled away from your target"
gleaner-"The thing about all this is that with atpro with IA OFF, all that is gold and brass and lead and foil and aluminum scrap and pull tabs and 22 shells and such items sound rock solid mid tone."
those two don't seem to go with this statement?
gleaner-"IA only deals with crappy iron from 0 to 40"
If IA only affects 1-40then how can it help a bottle cap ringing in the 70-80 range or gold ringing in between 45-55?

Last edited:

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
I just think of iron audio as giving more information on targets that may otherwise sound good, like bottle caps. Some Budweiser caps sound crisp and clear and are harder to tell if its a bottle cap. I keep my IA audio on all the time. Much easier to pick out goodies. I don't wonder at all when I walk away if it may have been something good if I didn't have it on. Having Iron Audio on the AT pro is like using 2 detectors at once. In iron infested areas, the IA is amazing. The high tones on good targets are much more distinguished between all the low iron grunting and makes picking out goodies so easy, where other detectors would not be as revealing between good and bad targets.

nathan104

Feb 23, 2006
Emory TX
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, AT Pro, propointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always run in pro zero sometimes with disc up around 30 when I need to, otherwise no disc. I haven't messed with the IA very much at all , but will try it out after reading through this thread. Ive had solid signals that turn out to be either bottle cap or folded rusty metal. If it will help with those, Im all for it. Ill run IA on for a while and see how it does for me. Thanks.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always run in pro zero sometimes with disc up around 30 when I need to, otherwise no disc. I haven't messed with the IA very much at all , but will try it out after reading through this thread. Ive had solid signals that turn out to be either bottle cap or folded rusty metal. If it will help with those, Im all for it. Ill run IA on for a while and see how it does for me. Thanks.
Circle your target while swinging. A bottle cap will jump through all three tones. Dig up those wildly jumping signals and see what you get. Bottle caps will be solid, one tone until you circle them...then they go haywire.

GranvilleATPro

Apr 4, 2014
Lafayette Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett ACE 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good point lookindown. Another way to do it is what could be referred to as "rimming" the target. Pull the coil edge up to the edge of target very very slowly and then pass over normally. This will sound off with a beginning scratch before the high tone. Bottle caps tend to ring up as quarters, if its a real quarter you will not hear the scratch before the high tone. Works for me. Never use IA and hunt in pro zero-zero.

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
those two don't seem to go with this statement?If IA only affects 1-40then how can it help a bottle cap ringing in the 70-80 range or gold ringing in between 45-55?

Let's get back to basics. Think audio. IA is Iron Audio. It affects the audio. Of the iron range. Most common decent vlf machines pop high pitch on iron, regardless of numbers, even good iron machines like atpro. It took me five years to get used to the cz, which pops like crazy on iron, especially if the sense is turned up high. On atpro, IA is a tool to verify that the bottle cap is indeed iron, AUDIO speaking. If you try to add numbers on a screen to the mix, well, that's just plum crazy.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Man i had the AT Pro and am getting another but you all here have me all confused … my head is spinning after reading all this ..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread