May 23, 2014
Cumberland, VA
Detector(s) used
White's coinmaster pro
Garrett at pro
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Other
I have been lurking here for a while now but time has come to join because I had a problem with my at pro and need to ask a question. Here goes...I used a coinmaster pro the past two years and upgraded to an at pro a couple of months ago. Thrilled with the at pro and having a great time, I was reading everything I could find about it. Well, last Saturday I was hunting when all of a sudden it started going berserk...making all kinds of noises and wouldn't stop. I changed out batteries a couple of times and did several manual resets but nothing fixed the problem. Called Garrett and sure enough as everyone says, great customer service and was sent out a new coil with an RMA number to send the whole unit in if that didn't fix the problem. Received the new coil today and put it one and everything is working perfect. Maybe even better than new. So my question is this...I know at pro's had problems with the main part when they first came out but I am still finding things posted on the internet where it seems that a fair amount of people are having problems with coils. Is this something I should be worried about? Couple of months in and coil goes out...what is the possibility of this coil going out in another couple of months? Sorry my first post couldn't be a great find or anything but I had to ask this question and it has been great reading here on tnet.com

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

penzfan

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2014
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 - Excal 1000 - Excal II - Sovereign GT - RTG/Oleg Scoops - XPointer
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Hard to beat Tesoro's Life Time Warranty...

OP
OP
D

Doug H

May 23, 2014
Cumberland, VA
Detector(s) used
White's coinmaster pro
Garrett at pro
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks Wayne... I feel a little more at ease now

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't believe all the bad stuff being posted. It's a dirty tactic that some people use. The AT Pro is the #1 selling detector and there are some people who do not like that.

OP
OP
D

Doug H

May 23, 2014
Cumberland, VA
Detector(s) used
White's coinmaster pro
Garrett at pro
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Other
Oh I love the at pro and believe personally that it's the best detector in its class for the pricetag but reading all this stuff on the web an then my coil goes out after two months just made it kinda hit home. It's working awesome now with the new coil

Last edited:

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You're going to hear more about AT Pro failures just because of the shear volume of units sold. EVERY manufacture has coil failures. My $1800 detector had bad coil right out of the box! But like Wayne said, it's a low failure rate.

Garretts customer service is the best I've ever seen glad you got taken care of!

OP
OP
D

Doug H

May 23, 2014
Cumberland, VA
Detector(s) used
White's coinmaster pro
Garrett at pro
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Other
[QUOTE

Garretts customer service is the best I've ever seen glad you got taken care of![/QUOTE]

Your right fella, I had no question when calling them that they would take care of it after all I've read about their customer service. My only worry was/is that it seems I've read lots on the internet about them replacing people's coils and after two months here I am getting a coil replaced. I'm just gonna have faith that this coil is gonna last a long time.

TampaTroy

Feb 3, 2014
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATpro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've had mine since February and it's working fine. The only time it's acted nuts turned out to be near high transmission power lines. Changing the frequency and lowering the sensitivity 2 bars took care of it.

OP
OP
D

Doug H

May 23, 2014
Cumberland, VA
Detector(s) used
White's coinmaster pro
Garrett at pro
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Other
Troy this is what happened to me. I had been searching for about thirty minutes in a lake with just the coil submerged when the pro went crazy. All kinds of noises coming from it. I got out the water dried everything off, did a system reset, tried new batteries, changed frequencies...nothing would stop it. I did all of these things several times, even putting fresh batteries in several times...nothing would stop it. All connections were tight so that's when I decided to call Garrett. Hunted about three hours today with the new coil and all is working great

TampaTroy

Feb 3, 2014
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATpro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not saying this is what happened to you but I recently read a post saying if your detector has been in a hot car all day and you go into the water with it the sudden contraction could cause the coil epoxy to crack or separate from the housing and let water in. That struck me as exactly the sort of thing I was likely to do if I ever get around to hunting in the water. I leave my tector in the truck all day so I can go straight to the site after work. Something too keep in mind if you hunt the water I guess.

OP
OP
D

Doug H

May 23, 2014
Cumberland, VA
Detector(s) used
White's coinmaster pro
Garrett at pro
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Other
Yeah Troy I read that post and I was keeping my detector in the car though it hasn't been that hot around here but as soon as I read it I stopped keeping it in the car. when I went to the lake I hadn't been keeping it in my car for a while because of that post. Unless maybe just being in the car cracked it on its own but it's not like its been that hot here...especially when I stopped keeping it in the car for that last couple weeks...I don't know but I won't be keeping it in the car anymore. Always getting good information on this site...thanks all.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread