Three Bears

Greenie
Apr 30, 2014
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What type, brand of batteries do you use in your AT PRO? Will Eneloop rechargeable ones work? I am sending my new (got it last week) AT PRO back (as mentioned in gereral discussions) for a new one. Yep - poop happens - Thanks to Kellyco who agreed to replace the unit and Garrett wh o is sending me two new battery boxes. New non brand batteries were already installed in my ATP when I opened the box, use about 4 hrs and the unit died and two of the batteries were leaking acid. Replaced these with new rechargeable Eneloops and in 4 hrs unit dies and two of these new batteries on the same side of holder were leaking...(have used this brand of battery in my cameras for years and have never had this happen) then the female end of battery box falls off onto the counter. Acid inside of unit so it is being replaced... What batteries can I safely use in the next AT PRO? .... Had to cancel this weekends trip to Pleaseant Hill civil war site on private property hunt........:help: Thanks and happy M weekend

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It used to be that manufacturers didn't recommend using rechargeable because of the changing voltage. It might be different now. I never use rechargeable in any thing but camera's.

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Fisher Teknetics Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Batteries?

I usually stop by Dollar General on the way to hunt and grab new DG alkaline for $1.75 for four AAs. Don't get the "heavy duty" for a buck.
Recently my local Kroger had their alkalines on sale for a buck a pack, I have a few left....

When I get home, I take the batteries out and store the detector.

I use the "used" AAs in my cameras and children's toys which tend to eat them before they have a chance to go bad.

I'll guess heat got to yours....

OP
OP
T

Three Bears

Greenie
Apr 30, 2014
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No heat.... Rec'd unit in Louisiana I think on May 9th and drove to Michigan and used it twice with temps in the low 40's...Hmmm

dustytrails123

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer Se Pro,Garrett At/Pro,Garrett Ace 350,Tesoro Cibola,Tesoro Outlaw,Bounty Hunter SharpShooter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im using energizer advanced lithium batteries...dont really care if it cooks the machine its just an at pro nothing to get excited about

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree the rechargeables may not be the best option. Some new ones at least have low self-discharge rates. That would be best. I put a set of the new expensive Duracells and haven't run them one hour and already dropped to three bars. Tests show the cheaper ones get more time per dollar but may leak easier.

mindcrime1988

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2011
Southeast Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, XP Deus II, DetectorPro Headhunter, BlissTool & Pulsedive
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use the Energizer Recharge batteries. Some folks say they do not care for the rechargeable batteries but I have not had an issue with them. Plus the rechargeables I use easily go for 30 hours. It's probably even longer than that. I've never kept track of how long but most of my outings are between 6-10 hours and I usually do not need to change them out until about the 4th or 5th hunt. I also know some folks state to not let the batteries go below 50% but once again I have found many incredible finds with just one bar left. I have hunted this way for almost 3 years now.

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A good reason not to use rechargeables is they give off a gas that corrodes electronics.

leafsforever3

Jan 3, 2013
Nova Scotia
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use the Energizer Recharge batteries. Some folks say they do not care for the rechargeable batteries but I have not had an issue with them. Plus the rechargeables I use easily go for 30 hours. It's probably even longer than that. I've never kept track of how long but most of my outings are between 6-10 hours and I usually do not need to change them out until about the 4th or 5th hunt. I also know some folks state to not let the batteries go below 50% but once again I have found many incredible finds with just one bar left. I have hunted this way for almost 3 years now.

Same for me, I've been using mine for 2 years with no problems. Also use the energizers .

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive been using the same for three years also...no problems at all...Ive saved a lot of money.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A good reason not to use rechargeables is they give off a gas that corrodes electronics.
3 years and no corrosion and I leave them in when Im not hunting...they only come out for a one hour charge.

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Duracell Quantums I thought ran down are showing four bars. So I don't know what happened there. I know sometimes after the machine is running a while it can drop a bar, but I had just turned on the machine when I noticed it was down, but now it's back. From what I have seen the Quantums are about twice the capacity of regular alkalines (they feel heavier) but they cost twice as much so no savings there. The lithiums are the highest running cost. The newer ones appear to have the proper voltage. As for the rechargeables, hopefully the battery compartment is sealed off enough so no gases get into the electronics.

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ive been using the same for three years also...no problems at all...Ive saved a lot of money.

3 years and no corrosion and I leave them in when Im not hunting...they only come out for a one hour charge.

Yeah I use rechargeables in most of my stuff too. Have been for years. NEVER had a leak, or phantom gas explosion or any other problem. In fact the only issue I've ever had was with US made Copper Top Duracell's. Had one leak causing all kinds of internal corrosion. Machine stopped working and needed to be sent in to Whites for repair.

The biggest thing to remember about rechargeables is make sure you have enough charge on em to last for hunt. When they die, they die quick w/no warning.

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use rayovacs in mine and they work great and last a while if using head phones.

Sheppie22

Jun 9, 2011
Milford, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac,
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett AT Max
Minelab Equinox 800 and 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I've been known to give off gas too but it has never corroded my detector.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions