All Treasure Hunting

CladGrabber

Oct 10, 2013
Tulsa Ok
Detector(s) used
AT PRO...Equinox 800...garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What type of hunting will you mostly be doing?

OP
OP
J

jreverquest

May 28, 2014
Gastonia, NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Clad,

Im around old revolutionary war battles some documented and some NOT, I actually know of a trailer park that the owner found 2, 2 liter bottles full of old musket balls and of course the kings mountain battleground is just a few miles away. That being said relics have potential as well as I know of many old trade lots that are nothing but vacant and are very old so even old coins are possible, also I live at crowders mountain that has known gold around it as well as many old mines. So many good places but very very bad NC laws lol so taking a chance but I do live a few miles from South Carolina and its possibilities.... So not a beach detector but a good all around detector...

Thanks for the reply

JR

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the Garrett at gold or even the pro would be a great fit for you. Once you learn the machine you will love it. I have the pro and it has found me a lot of nice relics and I also bought a 5x8 coil for it and it's a great machine in iron infested sites. Good luck on your choice.

OP
OP
J

jreverquest

May 28, 2014
Gastonia, NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Kodiak!! Having a very outdated and old Garrett I know that they are good machines but with so many to choose from now I needed to hear it from the ones who actually use them lol... Thanks again I think the Pro is where I want to be....

JR

OP
OP
J

jreverquest

May 28, 2014
Gastonia, NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AT Pro or AT Gold is an outstanding choice but get the 5x8" coil!

Thanks RG!! Yeah from old experience I remember when you really didn't have the selections in coils and those that were 10" round solid, I think they were called hot heads or something like that but was very hard to pinpoint an item.... The tech today seems like its going to be so much easier to operate and find things.... I cant wait!! I'll keep you guys posted on my findings as I sneak around those sites in the dark probably because of the stupid laws in NC :BangHead:... I use to be a deputy sheriff for Gaston County and I cant imagine bothering someone over metal detecting in abandoned fields or home sites... I'm going to do my best to not make us look bad so please don't take this post wrong, but after looking at NC laws on metal detecting its really an insult to us making us look like thieves instead of history nuts.... You cant do this for money, even though sometimes you get lucky but honestly its the love of the hobby, period :thumbsup:. The one I'm buying comes with the 5"x 8" as well as the original coil... again many thanks my detecting brothers and sisters

JR

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been detecting for a long time and have many detectors. I bought the AT Pro because I wanted to learn how it works, that's what I like to do. It took me three AT Pro's to get one that works as advertised. I am not a big fan of screens because I always second-guess what it is telling me. The AKPro is an easy machine to learn if you have experience with other machines. I really like the pro mode and Iron Audio. It is not the best choice if you want to hunt the salt water beaches in the wet sand. Beaches vary in the amount of Salt content and Black Sand so while one Hunter says it works perfectly in saltwater another one will find it sucks. Is not the deepest of all my detectors but it's all around choice. I like the lightweight.

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow I got to look up your laws. Here in Ohio no body bothers us unless of course if your leaving holes or trespassing.

metalmilitia

May 25, 2014
Central NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab 505,Garret at pro,Garrett propointer,Strong will and determination.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
just started using the at pro and i love it compared to the xterra 505 which was my first detector last yr yes im a noob but im learning lol.i did buy the 5by8 coil and the waterproof headphones for mine and my girl has the stock coil but i think im gonna get her a 5by8 as well its real trashy around where we hunt.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

jreverquest

May 28, 2014
Gastonia, NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah Kodiak NC laws are insane IMO and that's from a former deputy sheriff.... I would have never bothered anyone with a detector however I have heard stories of people getting their detectors taken and fines so I don't know how Im going to approach it... I have detected many years ago when not many did use metal detectors but haven't in many years as well so Im starting fresh with some knowledge but will need a refresher course lol... I think I will be in SC a lot but there are still way to many places I know of locally here in Gaston County NC that I just cant get away from without taking some chances... Again most are wooded or just barren areas but have old house foundations where I have found old square nails so they must be old... I know of one area I hunted that had the horse ties stuck into the trees where the tree had grown almost around it... I had found old irons that you had to put on top of stoves etc there but never detected it properly as I was young then... Now Im much more patient and older, not wiser, but older lol and experienced a near death experience in jan of this year and was in the hospital until march.... My wife left me, totaled my paid off truck that only had 32k miles, well enough of this depression lets get to something I wanted to pick back up since I was an older teenager... Thanks for your replies again...

JR

OP
OP
J

jreverquest

May 28, 2014
Gastonia, NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
just started using the at pro and i love it compared to the xterra 505 which was my first detector last yr yes im a noob but im learning lol.i did buy the 5by8 coil and the waterproof headphones for mine and my girl has the stock coil but i think im gonna get her a 5by8 as well its real trashy around where we hunt.

Thanks MM!!

OP
OP
J

jreverquest

May 28, 2014
Gastonia, NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been detecting for a long time and have many detectors. I bought the AT Pro because I wanted to learn how it works, that's what I like to do. It took me three AT Pro's to get one that works as advertised. I am not a big fan of screens because I always second-guess what it is telling me. The AKPro is an easy machine to learn if you have experience with other machines. I really like the pro mode and Iron Audio. It is not the best choice if you want to hunt the salt water beaches in the wet sand. Beaches vary in the amount of Salt content and Black Sand so while one Hunter says it works perfectly in saltwater another one will find it sucks. Is not the deepest of all my detectors but it's all around choice. I like the lightweight.

Sandman,

Whats your favorite detector if I may ask and why? I also am a supporter of NRA!!

JR

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah Kodiak NC laws are insane IMO and that's from a former deputy sheriff.... I would have never bothered anyone with a detector however I have heard stories of people getting their detectors taken and fines so I don't know how Im going to approach it... I have detected many years ago when not many did use metal detectors but haven't in many years as well so Im starting fresh with some knowledge but will need a refresher course lol... I think I will be in SC a lot but there are still way to many places I know of locally here in Gaston County NC that I just cant get away from without taking some chances... Again most are wooded or just barren areas but have old house foundations where I have found old square nails so they must be old... I know of one area I hunted that had the horse ties stuck into the trees where the tree had grown almost around it... I had found old irons that you had to put on top of stoves etc there but never detected it properly as I was young then... Now Im much more patient and older, not wiser, but older lol and experienced a near death experience in jan of this year and was in the hospital until march.... My wife left me, totaled my paid off truck that only had 32k miles, well enough of this depression lets get to something I wanted to pick back up since I was an older teenager... Thanks for your replies again... JR
thats what we are here for for guidance and a shoulder to lean on if needed. Hang in there and hope you can detect some if those site you mentioned.

OP
OP
J

jreverquest

May 28, 2014
Gastonia, NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thats what we are here for for guidance and a shoulder to lean on if needed. Hang in there and hope you can detect some if those site you mentioned.

Kodiak,

That means a lot, I like the way our hobby's people are not against one another like in so many other hobbies or sports.... I seriously have been battling depression since having left the force due to a crystal meth user almost breaking my back and had to have to back surgeries and the force turned their backs on me... I always thought that law enforcement was a brotherhood however not one has called to check up on me whom I thought had my back, and I meant had my back with their lives on the line... You live and learn... To other law enforcement officers on this board please no disrespect I just had this happen to me and Im sure this is just an isolated case... Internal affairs can be corrupt depending on who they have in that department and our department had some shady individuals, one having had 3 domestic cases against him himself and Ive never had a charge on me, nor had I ever even used an illegal drug including the green leafy substance as I had to use in my reports lol.... But I remember everytime being interviewed by them and having my Garrity rights read to me, as they wanted to say that I was lying about my back???? After two surgeries now??? anyway maybe this is best left off any board but sometimes one has to vent or self destruct... I honestly believe this hobby is a tool that a lot of us can use... Come to think about it, my old homesite where I grew up and my mother still owns use to have a creek run through it long before we purchased it and its at the base of crowders mountain which has known gold deposits and mines so who knows whats in that old clay like mud that still sits there to this day and never has been detected etc.... Not to mention the site that has the musket balls which are either from the civil war or revolutionary war has a road right in the middle and the opposite side of the road is nothing but trees, the potential is insane... This website has really got me focused on something other then my downfalls.... Thanks everyone and Treasurenet.com

JR

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes this hobby is fun, good for exercise and good for your mind. Take care and hope things work out for you. I would def hit that site you never know what you may find. I did a short stint in law enforcement in the 90s and realized it wasn't for me. I respect the people who do it but I didn't like it very much. I like dangerous jobs because I've been a high voltage journeyman for a while I just didn't like the idea of arresting everyone I knew because I'm from a small community. Besides I don't think you get paid enough for the job. God bless and if ya need to talk just pm me I've been there and could possibly help. Good luck on your new detecting adventure.

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow it sounds like you have been through a lot, I hope that you can use the metal detecting hobby to relax and have a great time finding some history in your area. :)

I don't want to change the subject/hijack your thread but I'm curious after reading this... does the state of NC restrict metal detecting or just your county? And if so, is that restriction also for private property?

OP
OP
J

jreverquest

May 28, 2014
Gastonia, NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow it sounds like you have been through a lot, I hope that you can use the metal detecting hobby to relax and have a great time finding some history in your area. :)

I don't want to change the subject/hijack your thread but I'm curious after reading this... does the state of NC restrict metal detecting or just your county? And if so, is that restriction also for private property?

FBD,

My friend that is a good question and no hijack, NC prohibits you to use it in any parks... Of course I know that the federal parks such as kings mountain battleground park would prohibit it however even the two down my street that are nothing more then county community parks does not allow the use of detectors... We are not suppose to disturb any known or unknown historic site however if its unknown to the books and on private property there is nothing that can keep you away but the owners.... Most of the areas I speak of are privately owned however finding the owners might be tough, Im going to use google earth and give the locations if you guys want to look at the areas I speak of.... The way it reads it almost sounds like you cant even detect however we all know there is nothing they can do to private property areas... Im not sure how it is on the coast since NC has so many shipwrecks off its coast of the outer banks and Im sure some of them carried valuables... I can also travel to Virginia within 2 hours and of course to boone NC and Cherokee which yields many gold and gem streams... Also just think I live next to one of the first US mints which was Charlotte NC!!! If one of those gold coins were to surface and Im sure some would be around that would pay for a years worth of bills or more depending on the condition lol.... Im excited for the first time in a long time, my health is still struggling but I think I need as much recreation as I can get especially out of this house... Had to learn how to walk again after the 2 plus months in the hospital... Now you might can see why I keep slipping back into a negative tone... I know others can have it much worse but I have already been told I have PTSD (post traumatic stress disorder) from everything I have went through... Thanks for the ears and replies it does make a difference and yes Kodiak I WILL be in touch with you.... I could use the friendship...

JR

OP
OP
J

jreverquest

May 28, 2014
Gastonia, NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Also wanted to add some very nice products at FBD!!! and nice prices as well!! I love the coil selections you have... What model do you honestly recommend that is in the AT Pro's price range? Or do you recommend the AT Pro itself over the others?

JR

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi JR- thanks for the kind words about our site. We aim to be competitive with anyone price wise, hope that is noticeable. :)

And it sound like you just need to knock on doors on private property in your area... There are a lot of great landowners out there who would be willing to let you check out their properties if you approach them the right way. Just treat them with respect and all will be fine.

As for a specific detector recommendation, if you ask 50 people you will get 50 different answers... Lol. The AT Pro is quite competitive in its price range, and is popular because it does a lot of things well. Not perfect, but well - and at a good price in comparison to its competition. The X-Terra 705 is in my opinion more capable and a bit of an underrated detector at times also in that general price range. Fisher's F70 also falls in this general price range, with good capability. Tesoro has the Vaquero and Tejon which are well regarded machines too, if you don't need a screen.

Remember that all of these machines have strengths and weaknesses- pick one that best fits your style of learning (audible or visual) and also is most compatible with the conditions in which you are hunting.

Hope that helps!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions