beasy324

Oct 12, 2013
Melbourne, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
With Garrett pin pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I just ordered a Garrett AT-PRO and it comes with the 8.5x11" DD coil. I notice people on forms talking about other coils is this a good one or should I look at getting a different size?

Currently own a tesoro tiger shark with 10" coil. Love it but want to have something with a screen to see what I'm actually hitting on will use my tiger shark for my water hunts!

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The standard coil is a compromise between area coverage and separating from one item to another. A lot of guys like the smaller coils as they help in trashy areas. As for the screen, it only reports the conductivity and not what is really down there. Tiger Shark is twice the quality too.

Last edited:
OP
OP
beasy324

beasy324

Oct 12, 2013
Melbourne, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
With Garrett pin pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Right I should have worded that better I wanted something so I can see the conductivity. I'll have to do some research on the smaller coils! Which go deeper the small or larger ones??

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Right I should have worded that better I wanted something so I can see the conductivity. I'll have to do some research on the smaller coils! Which go deeper the small or larger ones??

The larger coil goes deeper up to a point and then there is to much minimization and if more GB is needed it makes it shallower. Many guys never learn how to really pinpoint well and then want to dig a big hole for a coin.

firemac

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Irving Texas and the beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Garrett pro pointer Minelab Etrac & excal ll
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive been thinking about the Nel 15"attack coil for the at pro. I added the Coiltek 15" WOT to the etrac and have great luck with it. Ive used it on a well worked 100 year old park and dug a lot of passed over deep targets that I think it found! And I agree with Sandman, You really have to know how to pin point a target, and separate signals.

tcornel

Aug 11, 2011
NE Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, 17" & 6" coils, Equinox 800, Propointer AT, Stealth 920i, Lesche Sampson and digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You will find the 6x8 coil to have better balance and pinpointing. Sandman is correct about the stock coil being a compromise between coverage and target separation.

I almost never put the standard coil on. It is either the 6x8 or the NEL 15" attack. The NEL covers lots of ground quickly. Use it on ball fields and open areas. I would recommend a harness as the coil is heavy. Use the 6x8 around old houses, playgrounds and other trashy areas.

Personally I use the 6x8 to pick and clear out a new area like an old house site. Then I come back with the NEL to pick out the deeper targets.

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A lot of people make the 5x8 coil their "go-to" coil - because the trash seperation is outstanding! The stock 8x12 will cover more area per sweep, which is preferred when the targets are spread out.

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Twice the quality is saying a little too much for the tiger shark over the AT pro their SM.

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a 4 inch sniper coil I have only used Twice HH Chug Not a Charter member though

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
The screen on the AT is very accurate in telling what is down there. So if a metal detector reports conductivity then it would only be wise for Garrett to gauge a scale with a screen that shows the conductivity reading. Like a silver dime , 81, gold wedding band , 50's through to high 70's. Hmmmm?? Don't listen to SM the screen tells a lot.

OP
OP
beasy324

beasy324

Oct 12, 2013
Melbourne, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
With Garrett pin pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You will find the 6x8 coil to have better balance and pinpointing. Sandman is correct about the stock coil being a compromise between coverage and target separation.

I almost never put the standard coil on. It is either the 6x8 or the NEL 15" attack. The NEL covers lots of ground quickly. Use it on ball fields and open areas. I would recommend a harness as the coil is heavy. Use the 6x8 around old houses, playgrounds and other trashy areas.

Personally I use the 6x8 to pick and clear out a new area like an old house site. Then I come back with the NEL to pick out the deeper targets.

Where can I find that nel coil?

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Twice the quality is saying a little too much for the tiger shark over the AT pro their SM.

Sorry Irish, I should have said the Tiger Shark finds more chains because it is hotter.

NeilinFR

Oct 11, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 ltd
Minelab Etrac
Xterra 705
Shadow X5
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Sandman its not hotter or better quality. Maybe you should try the two side by side instead of going by memory or what you've read. Not being mean here, Ive done the test and have sold off my Tesoros........will try the cazador when it comes but for now the AT is a superior machine, in my humble opinion:occasion14:

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
NEL 15" Attack Coil for AT PRO
I just ordered one and should have it for next weekends hunt. I will post honest feedback of its results. good or bad...

Jeremy S

Feb 27, 2012
God's Country
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250, AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The stock 8.5 x 11 DD coil does a great job. I have found clad coins as deep as 12". At that depth you have to listen to the faint tones and ignore the display. They will be iffy signals with just the occasional high tone.

When I hunt a new site I will grid it over with the stock 8.5 x 11 DD coil and dig everything, and then follow up with the 5x8 DD coil. I always find a few more good targets with the 5x8 that I missed with the 8.5 x 11.

I too am curious about the NEL coil.

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My NEL Attack came today :) I ordered it Thursday from the east coast and it came to Oregon today. Colonial Metal Detectors is where I got it. Super fast service. I will post some feedback on its performance soon...

Gary from Oregon

ffx2

Jul 9, 2014
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 350
My NEL Attack came today :) I ordered it Thursday from the east coast and it came to Oregon today. Colonial Metal Detectors is where I got it. Super fast service. I will post some feedback on its performance soon...

Gary from Oregon

It's almost been 24 hours, what's taking so long ???

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thats funny... :) I took it out in my front yard for a few minutes last night. I threw a copper coin on the ground and got a perfect repeatable hi tone at least 13 14 inches. It's 99 degrees outside today so I probably won't even get it done today but by the weekend I will give a full report good or bad. Gary from Oregon

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread