AT PRO USERS

metalmilitia

May 25, 2014
Central NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab 505,Garret at pro,Garrett propointer,Strong will and determination.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well im curious to see myself i know that the different gold items i use to test are a couple rings a couple diff size charmes and a couple chains but high 40s to low 60s it what i can gether but it is just an air test have found no gold yet but im still looking lol.good luck

Scrammer

Apr 5, 2013
Between Buffalo and Rochester, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro;
AT Pro Pointer;
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I dig everything 40 and above that is solid. (And some that are iffy). Small kids 14k ring was 42, small women's class ring was 48, 60's for a few rings and necklaces, and 85 for large class ring. A long gold necklace curled up was 67 and choppy.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is what is wrong with AT Pro's and screens. Well actually ALL detectors with screens. Jewelry is alloyed with various metals to make it harder so we can wear it without it falling apart. All these metals have different conductivity and the mix can be different KT or percentage of the content of the item. White gold usually has a low conductivity, are thin ladies rings and have stones. They can read near 30 on the ATP and up also depending on size which makes it more conductive. Yellow gold rings like bands are in the same range as those Pull Tabs. Silver rings are very conductive just like silver coins. Your really better off covering the screen with duct tape to make it less appealing to slugs out to steal it from you also and let your ears do your thinking. If you want those small gold chains, use a Tiger Shark.

OP
OP
T

Tampa Steve

Apr 10, 2014
tampa
Detector(s) used
garrett at pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is what is wrong with AT Pro's and screens. Well actually ALL detectors with screens. Jewelry is alloyed with various metals to make it harder so we can wear it without it falling apart. All these metals have different conductivity and the mix can be different KT or percentage of the content of the item. White gold usually has a low conductivity, are thin ladies rings and have stones. They can read near 30 on the ATP and up also depending on size which makes it more conductive. Yellow gold rings like bands are in the same range as those Pull Tabs. Silver rings are very conductive just like silver coins. Your really better off covering the screen with duct tape to make it less appealing to slugs out to steal it from you also and let your ears do your thinking. If you want those small gold chains, use a Tiger Shark.
I could have missed a lot of stuff...wow ty sandman...

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
Take sandmans advice with a grain of sand please as he dislikes the at pro and though he states he likes to learn machines, it is my opinion that he never learned this machine. I may not have either if the first two I received were defective so nothing against him. I do wonder, however, why he keeps chiming in on at pro threads. He does like to explain how much he likes other machines when folks are wanting info on the at pro. I can see that you already have made your choice and bought the at pro.
I have over 2500 hours in with the at pro. Probably 3k hours now.
How about using the visual as a secondary tool which is exactly what it is. If it may be gold, dig it if that's what tickles your fancy. (I am landlocked and haven't been near a swimming hole since 2011 but GOLD is my fancy!)
"He who digs the most trash gets the most gold" I believe this has a lot of truth to it and I stole it from a thread on the subject that mostly had FL hunters posting. (prob majorty or all of these folks are ocean searchers) This is regardless of the machine you use. If they made a machine that could tell the difference between gold and aluminum........
Gold that I have actually found with the at pro include;
6.1 gram 14k white gold ring that came in at 45-46. This one surprised me but we were out "cleaning up" the mid targets after doing well in the area on high tone targets.
Yellow gold toe ring that only weighs 1.2 grams that hit a solid 51 and the little sucker was deep. The # was absolute constant, either left or right swing, a 51.
A 10 gram mens yellow gold ring with a big ruby came in 68-70.
Several gold class rings, 10k yellow gold, have hit exactly like a nickle. Very constant 53.( or 53-52, 53-54, etc) This includes a little gold ring with 3 little opels I found on my second to last outing.
10k bracelet hit at 40-42 and scratchy or iffy. (actually, this was found with the at gold)
Nice mens wedding band, 14k yellow gold, hit at 58-60.
I have a, must be 22k or purer, yellow gold band that hit at 88 and a high tone. The ring was about 7/8 inches deep and weighs 4.9 grams. I can get it on my pinky finger so not a large ring by any means. If the gold is pure enough it will hit like copper or silver and be a for sure dig target. (That was one super quarter target!)
Imagine my surprise when I thought I was digging a penny and out came another almost pure gold item, a heart shaped pendant that is bent in half but weighs 6.4 grams of absolutley stunning yellow gold. It hit at 80.
I have gold that came in at 55, 56, 57. These were gold rings, in round shape, and the ID number was repeatable. In other words, the # didn't jump around like a pull tab.

Old pull tab numbers will constantly jump around from 50's to low 60's. New tabs, the rectangle ones, can often hit just like a nickle. (damned things....why do folks pull these off cans...) A solid 40 is usually a hunk of foil.
If you want those small gold chains you can certianly find them with the at pro, or buy a second machine like sandman suggests. Hey sandman...you buying? lol

With all that said, if you get your coil over an odd shaped piece of gold, the numbers may well jump around just like a pull tab.

Now, GET OUT THAR N GRIT BUSY. Good luck to everyone!

OP
OP
T

Tampa Steve

Apr 10, 2014
tampa
Detector(s) used
garrett at pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Take sandmans advice with a grain of sand please as he dislikes the at pro and though he states he likes to learn machines, it is my opinion that he never learned this machine. I may not have either if the first two I received were defective so nothing against him. I do wonder, however, why he keeps chiming in on at pro threads. He does like to explain how much he likes other machines when folks are wanting info on the at pro. I can see that you already have made your choice and bought the at pro.
I have over 2500 hours in with the at pro. Probably 3k hours now.
How about using the visual as a secondary tool which is exactly what it is. If it may be gold, dig it if that's what tickles your fancy. (I am landlocked and haven't been near a swimming hole since 2011 but GOLD is my fancy!)
"He who digs the most trash gets the most gold" I believe this has a lot of truth to it and I stole it from a thread on the subject that mostly had FL hunters posting. (prob majorty or all of these folks are ocean searchers) This is regardless of the machine you use. If they made a machine that could tell the difference between gold and aluminum........
Gold that I have actually found with the at pro include;
6.1 gram 14k white gold ring that came in at 45-46. This one surprised me but we were out "cleaning up" the mid targets after doing well in the area on high tone targets.
Yellow gold toe ring that only weighs 1.2 grams that hit a solid 51 and the little sucker was deep. The # was absolute constant, either left or right swing, a 51.
A 10 gram mens yellow gold ring with a big ruby came in 68-70.
Several gold class rings, 10k yellow gold, have hit exactly like a nickle. Very constant 53.( or 53-52, 53-54, etc) This includes a little gold ring with 3 little opels I found on my second to last outing.
10k bracelet hit at 40-42 and scratchy or iffy. (actually, this was found with the at gold)
Nice mens wedding band, 14k yellow gold, hit at 58-60.
I have a, must be 22k or purer, yellow gold band that hit at 88 and a high tone. The ring was about 7/8 inches deep and weighs 4.9 grams. I can get it on my pinky finger so not a large ring by any means. If the gold is pure enough it will hit like copper or silver and be a for sure dig target. (That was one super quarter target!)
Imagine my surprise when I thought I was digging a penny and out came another almost pure gold item, a heart shaped pendant that is bent in half but weighs 6.4 grams of absolutley stunning yellow gold. It hit at 80.
I have gold that came in at 55, 56, 57. These were gold rings, in round shape, and the ID number was repeatable. In other words, the # didn't jump around like a pull tab.

Old pull tab numbers will constantly jump around from 50's to low 60's. New tabs, the rectangle ones, can often hit just like a nickle. (damned things....why do folks pull these off cans...) A solid 40 is usually a hunk of foil.
If you want those small gold chains you can certianly find them with the at pro, or buy a second machine like sandman suggests. Hey sandman...you buying? lol

With all that said, if you get your coil over an odd shaped piece of gold, the numbers may well jump around just like a pull tab.

Now, GET OUT THAR N GRIT BUSY. Good luck to everyone!

Well sounds like if its a solid tone it has potential ty XR7ATOR

slider66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Nov 14, 2013
Treasure Coast Of Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab CTX 3030
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Excalibur 1000 with SEF 10x12 coil
3 Minelab Excalibur II 10 inch
Deus II
EQuinox 900
Manticore
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I found a 14k gold toe ring that hit at 42. It probably would fit a childs finger.

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
If you don t like Garrett SM then stay off the Garrett forum! Never have I had a thin gold ring read in the 30's on the AT pro. Too much iron or other metal for gold to read that low. Maybe nigh 30's but not low.

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
If you want shallow targets and bird shot bb size targets than get the Tiger Shark. AT pro will find a tiger shark with good batteries to use.

Tedyoh

Bronze Member
Apr 13, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, NOX 600, XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a gold 1856 1/4 eagle that was made into a love token (damn it), it rang up at a solid 61 - 90% gold, 10% copper I think equates to 22k - GB was at 80, I think the GB# will affect the VDI#

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
Lets say that everybody agreed that "gold" (what ever you mean by gold, perhaps rings, nuggets, chains, earings, medals, gold coins, etc, it all sounds different depending on size and shape and alloy and depth) averages about 55 or so, well mister try it, just dig every target 55 or so, you wont find gold. You just wont find it. Dig every mid tone, EVERY mid tone, and yes you will start to pull gold. But few and far between.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys, I am just trying to help those that think everything has to ring up at certain numbers. When you get more salt in your hair you will understand.:laughing7:

rks1949

May 13, 2013
Lawrenceville,Il.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett AT Max, Nokta Simplex +, Nokta Legend ,Garrett Pro Pointer , Fisher F Point, Garrett Digging Tool, Gator Razor, Digging Tool, Sampson Digger, Get the Track Hoe! It's a deep one! :)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just learn to hunt with your ears!:laughing7: I hardly ever look at the screen. Your ears will soon learn what tones you want to dig,and what one's you want to pass by!

NeilinFR

Oct 11, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 ltd
Minelab Etrac
Xterra 705
Shadow X5
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Havent seen any small gold fall below 35 on the meter yet so that's the number I generally draw the line at and of course you have to tie that in with the size of your hit and so forth. The meter is a great bit of info and can help you bypass some stuff and spend your time looking for what you really want so putting duct tape over it in my opinion is crazy. If you get lazy and just rely on the meter, not sounds or "feel" than that's your own fault, not the metered detector. Learn to use all its telling you.
And an AT pro will hit anything a tiger shark will or any Tesoro minus the actual gold machines and come super close to those.
Gold can range from small iron all the way up to penny but its gotta be pretty big or pretty high purity to hit above zinc penny so I go no higher when Im jewelry hunting.
Most gold seems to fall between foil and just above a nickel, that's where most of the ladies rings are, bracelets and chains generally fall in that range also.

Indianametal

Feb 19, 2013
west central indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett ace250
Learning to hunt with your ears is sound advise(pun intended), however this thread is good for those of us who don't have ears that can pick up audio differences very well. The screen displays are all we have to go by. Wish I could chime in but no AT Pro for me yet.

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't look at screen much unless it's questionable. If it's all over the board on numbers it has always been junk when I dig it. There is no doubt at all when you swing over a silver coin the sound is perfect. As for gold the mid tone that stays constant and doesn't break is usually a good target or a pull tab. I dig all good mid tones and have pounds of tabs to prove it lol. Good luck.

Dec 12, 2010
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug DP, Fisher F19 LTD, Minelab Safari, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Pro Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger, Lesche Ground Shark Shovel, 9.5x5.5 NEL Sharpshooter Coil (Safari), 9.5x
I dug a women's class ring and if memory serves me right, it rang in at a 54. I had been notching out everything but higher numbers for coin shooting that day and as soon as I opened the Pro up for other readings I came across the ring within five minutes. I started hollaring at my brother and told him what I had just found amongst the trash which rang in the same.

basorre

Tenderfoot
Jun 25, 2014
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So basically, any tone that is repeatable and not choppy, should be a "must dig"? I've gone from just coin shooting to looking for some jewelry and such. I know the tones and numbers for the coins. Typically if mine is 80-83 i get a dime or a penny. 88-91 quarter. And I also know that anywhere in between those numbers can be silver/gold. I just need to dig every solid target i suppose.

tigershark11

Dec 26, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You know I've dug when the sound is choppy and come up with a coin or two. I wouldn't go by choppy sound. I believe it should be dig almost every tone. But sometimes that can be tiring... I don't own an AT but was just offering some advice...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread