Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
because it sounds cooler, that did it for me:laughing7:

mtsheron

Jun 6, 2014
NC
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+; and Lesche digging tools! Tesoro Compadre (daughter's machine)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The only thing I saw different or an advantage with the 350 is:

-Enhanced Iron resolution
-Garretts Exclusive bluted tip and tail DD coil design. (Further extends coils total scan area for improved searching)

And the coil is larger and a DD on the 350.

I was looking hard at the 250 but looking at the added DD and the other enhanced iron feature I just ponied up and bought the 350. Good luck and let us know what you get. Hopefully my 350 will be here Wednesday.

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Better options at better prices than either. NOT an opinion! Fact!

CladGrabber

Oct 10, 2013
Tulsa Ok
Detector(s) used
AT PRO...Equinox 800...garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ace 350 is a good starter. Congrats on your purchase mtsheron, HH!

Last edited:

TheGoldProspector

Apr 14, 2014
Gold Country - California
Detector(s) used
-Keene A52 - Fab2.5 Highbanker - GoldNSand Hand Dredge

Garrett AT Pro - Bazooka Gold Trap 30" Prospector - Garrett Ace 250 - Blue Bowl Concentrator
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
F2 & EuroTek Pro for sure. 8" concentric's to compete with the 250's pricing and the 11"dd's to compete with the 350's pricing. Either will smoke either of the Ace's!

So for a $250-300 budget...what would one get...or how about a $650-$800 budget

Looking for gold..maybe some ball park prospecting for dropped items and whatnot

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So for a $250-300 budget...what would one get...or how about a $650-$800 budget

Looking for gold..maybe some ball park prospecting for dropped items and whatnot

Sub 300 bucks…I'd be looking at the Teknetics EuroTek Pro w/11DD coil or the Fisher F2 w/11dd coil. Both are awesome machines in that price range. I like the F2 for total noobs and the EuroTek Pro for someone that has some experience.

$650-800….No doubt the Garrett AT Pro or Gold! If you are primarily looking for coins & jewelry, the AT Pro. If prospecting and/or relic hunting, the AT Gold!
I've owned some pretty great machines and the AT Pro hangs with the best of em and at a price that's way cheaper. The AT series has some design elements that are down right ridiculous, but performance is outstanding.

mtsheron

Jun 6, 2014
NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Maybe overall and I am in no way in a position to argue for I am a noob. What I based things on were extensive consumer feedback and the ease of navigating the machine and it's display and the Garrett won out slightly. I have to say I was close on the F2 purchase and if the readout would have been similar to the Garrett I would have purchased.

I wanted something starting out that was easy to read overall and this one came in at the wire as they say at a horse race as being the edge winner.

I have no doubt if I like this hobby that down the road a Euro or other such model may be an intermediate upgrade for sure.

I think every person has an opinion on what they like and the specs of each unit and that is the variety of this hobby as in any. I am into airguns and only buy German for the most part and have a professional tuning business for them. I like them best but work on a few others as well. While I get many questions and request to suggest a particular rifle I always screen the customer on what their need is and base that purchase on those criteria and taking into account price line as well because that is a big determinant as well. Do I always always tell them a German rifle.............surprisngly no even though I am a fan of the craftsmanship of those finer rifles. At times a very cheap but good alternative fits a customers wants.

So in the end I say to the OP do your research and know your base line of what you want and need for the intended way you will be using the machine and then base your decision on that and not look back.

That said I hope to be putting a 350 through it's paces by weekend and learning a bit about detectors. Just down from my residence my wife and I own a 21 acre farm I look to doing some searching on just to see what may be on it.

OP
OP
NVNutcase

NVNutcase

Sep 9, 2013
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is a Gift for my Daughter. I went with a 350 package, that included a Pin Pointer, which was a "Must". The reason for me asking was because of a 250 Package for the same price that also included an extra coil. Thanks for the ideas.

mtsheron

Jun 6, 2014
NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
This is a Gift for my Daughter. I went with a 350 package, that included a Pin Pointer, which was a "Must". The reason for me asking was because of a 250 Package for the same price that also included an extra coil. Thanks for the ideas.

I think your daughter will be more than pleased! Congrats to you and her for having a great father! I too did the same comparison that you did as well and suspect maybe we bought our 350's at the same place from what you describe.

OP
OP
NVNutcase

NVNutcase

Sep 9, 2013
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm sure you are correct, mtsheron. The reason I asked this question on the "Garrett" page, was to avoid any bashing, but it seems some are lurking here, looking for an argument. Lol Good luck with your purchase !

JunkShopFiddler

Bronze Member
Feb 15, 2013
SW Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTP 1350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Someone tells me the 350 is the same detector as the AT Pro, but without the pro mode iron audio feature or the waterproofing...anybody know if this is the case?

mtsheron

Jun 6, 2014
NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm sure you are correct, mtsheron. The reason I asked this question on the "Garrett" page, was to avoid any bashing, but it seems some are lurking here, looking for an argument. Lol Good luck with your purchase !

I just think we can sometimes be passionate about something in a good way but it comes out as being something else. I just think the 350 from what I read to be a great beginner. We will see. I think your daughter will see it the same way.

Hopefully here tomorrow!

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Someone tells me the 350 is the same detector as the AT Pro, but without the pro mode iron audio feature or the waterproofing...anybody know if this is the case?
Um NO! You can put the ATP in full re-tard mode w/o using iron audio and it's nothing like the crap Ace series.

CladGrabber

Oct 10, 2013
Tulsa Ok
Detector(s) used
AT PRO...Equinox 800...garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In standard mode the tones are the same.

Hookedondetecting

Jul 18, 2013
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Tesoro COMPADRE and Mohave
ORX and Deus II
Fisher F 75 LTD "2"
Minelab 600
Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Makro Multi Kruzer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 350 is OK and easy to use. Don't be discouraged or surprised you get fooled into digging bottle caps pull tabs or big iron. They ping up as coins. Just keep digging till you figure out the sharper and shorter the ping the odds are better it is a coin.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread