blong10

Apr 9, 2014
New Castle
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD2, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Garrett AT PRO,
X-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I was bored and I decided to test the at pro depth. I have owned it for about a month and have probably 20hrs on it.

Well I buried a dime and a penny at 8in and it barely picks it up. But when I bury a quarter at the same it doesn't pick it up that's strange to me.

Settings

Pro zero 35, iron disc.

Sensitivity 1 below max

Stock coil

Auto ground balance and tried the subtract 5-10 ground balance trick and really didn't help.

My ground balance came in at 89-90 I don't know if that is bad.

Last edited:

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Freshly buried targets do not detect as deeply. Assuming your ground balance is correct, that is very highly mineralized ground. Again that will reduce depth. If ground balance is off, of course that will affect depth. Lowering the five or ten points is not accurate ground balance. Also on the targets that are near the max depth, the coil must be centered over the target for the best detection. It takes more practice for good coil control like keeping it the same level through the sweep, keeping it close to the ground, sweep speed, etc. these all can affect depth. Ground moisture, also. I'm sure I left something out, but the point is there are many factors that affect depth.

CladGrabber

Oct 10, 2013
Tulsa Ok
Detector(s) used
AT PRO...Equinox 800...garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't get over critical about depth on the at pro, I assure you it will find deep targets.
Focus on putting more time and real world practice on your machine as I see you say you only have 20hrs on it.

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know some people say to swing slowly, but I say vary your swing speed and see what works best. It's been my experience that a good target will accept a faster swing speed and actually come in stronger. I know some people have a different idea of what is "fast". The manual says swing three feet per second. I consider that is fast.

Last edited:

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I manually ground balance and only drop numbers 5 at most in ground that balances under 80 and above 70. I wouldn't drop if balance that high. Freshly buried coins are iffy. I've got a spot I hunt that is real trashy and the soil has a lot of rust in it because of all the iron buried there and I can drop a dime rite on the ground and it won't pick it up unless I work around from dig directions on target. That's a lot if iron masking. Sometimes in that site I get a high pitch for a split second and then the low and I will work around that spot and eventually dig and have found a lot of Indian head cents in that ground. You are going to have to use and get to know that machine. That means a lot of digging there is no way around it. If someone with another brand tells you they don't have same issue in trashy areas they are lying or don't know their machine and missing a lot of targets. Good luck and dig, dig and dig some more and you will find the good stuff.

SuperShaun

May 20, 2016
Charlotte NC
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Delta 4000, Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been to only 6 different areas with my at pro and auto GB always seems to go 90-94. And all areas had different types of soil soft loose, thick rocky, and some hard clay. Also when I find something depth says 6-10"+ when it's only 1-2"

Keep swinging my friends!

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
Getting good depth readings on freshly buried coins can give dismal results for all detectors. The object needs to first develop some oxides on it's surface first before the detector will get great results.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread