gfmucci

Jun 19, 2014
Florida
Detector(s) used
BH in 70's; new to Whites MX5 in July 2014
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks, Kodiak,

So "discriminating out" and "notching out" are two different animals. Lets see if I can express the difference: Discriminating out a signal (using the AT Pro's "Iron descrim" control) reduces the sensitivity of the broad frequency spectrum that identifies iron - 0 to 30 on the AT Pro scale. Notching out suppresses the signal on narrow parts of the frequency spectrum, like notching out 70 to 75. If a machine was able to "notch out" 5 point segments between 0 and 30, what would be the difference between that and "discriminating out?"

Let me guess, let me guess. Discriminating out is a "variable sensitivity control" over that entire 0 to 30 range, whereas "notching" is an "all or nothing" (on/off) of the 5 point segments anywhere throughout a given range. The "normal" sensitivity control addresses the entire spectrum from 0 to 100 whereas the "iron discrimination" adjusts the sensitivity only below 30. Am I close? Please correct me if I am wrong.

[UPDATE: Found out later that I am wrong from Indian Nations. The "Iron Discrim" is progressive notching from 0 to whatever number you choose up to 40. A setting of 8 notches out 0 through 8. A setting of 25 notches out everything from 0 through 20, etc.]

If I am close, then this question: What is the benefit of discriminating that range (0 to 40) versus notching out all or portions of that range? [moot point]

As I understand the AT Pro system, the variable iron sensitivity (discrimination) setting applies to the range of 0 to 40 (the iron range); notching is available from 40 to to 100 in 5 unit increments.

As I understand the Whites MX5 system, notching covers the entire range from (in Garrett equivalency*) from 0 to 100 in 20 segments.
(*Whites uses a non-linear scale of from -95 to +95 where the notching is broader in the negative range (5 notches) and more refined in the positive range (15 notches).)

So, these are two different approaches to addressing the same problem. Are they equally effective? Or is one better than another and if so, why?

Last edited:

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never used the whites but the iron can be disc out by 1 point up to 40 and notch out from there. Let's say if you swing over a nail and it gives the low grunt and it come in about 21 on VDI if I wanted to discrim out just the nail I would run iron up to 21 so I would only get maybe a pop out of it and not loose a good target that is in same area as the nail. You are correct about notching it is more for cherry picking and you can loose a lot of targets by using it. When you turn iron audio on it will give the low grunt to everything below where you have set iron disc at and a mid tone above that number to a certain range then the high tone. You have to go out in the field and learn the machine just like anything else or if you have a test garden you can get more info that way. I only use disc in heavy iron infested sites to quiet down detector a bit. I will turn on iron audio over a iffy target to get more info but I usually dig anyway. A nail and a coin in same hole will not give a great tone unless you swing over it just rite. You might get a high tone just for a sec but it will mostly be a mid or broken tone. I have found many Indian head cents this way. It take some patients and a slower swing but the machine is telling you there is a good target under your coil.

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are welcome anytime. Only thing is that you have to bring your son.
sounds good sheppie he would love to go. He's been digging up the yard pretty good lately lol.

Indianametal

Feb 19, 2013
west central indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett ace250
Congrats on the new detector. As for the coil, I have no idea if it matters on the wrapping I just followed Garrets instructions. I figure since they tell you what way to go it probably does matter in some degree. Probably more how the connection to the coil is suppose to bend.

On the side topic of Iron discrimination. If your coin shooting then the 40 different intervals doesnt matter. I believe it is more for the relic hunter who wants to dig everything but doesnt want to hear all the small bits of nails and such. At least thats how I use it.

gfmucci

Jun 19, 2014
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Alot will say that they never take it off once they put it on. I think it depends on where your detecting.

T
Any details about the conditions where the 5x8 is best and where the stock coil is best?

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Any details about the conditions where the 5x8 is best and where the stock coil is best?
Everywhere! No really! Wait…maybe if you want better air test results, you could keep the 8.5x11 on then!

I'd rather make twice as many swings with the 5x8 to cover the same ground as with the stock crap coil.

gfmucci

Jun 19, 2014
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So, it sounds like you would strongly suggest if anyone was to buy their first AT Pro that they should spring for the "Spring Special" that includes the 5 by 8.

Last edited:

gfmucci

Jun 19, 2014
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Never used the whites but the iron can be disc out by 1 point up to 40 and notch out from there. Let's say if you swing over a nail and it gives the low grunt and it come in about 21 on VDI if I wanted to discrim out just the nail I would run iron up to 21 so I would only get maybe a pop out of it and not loose a good target that is in same area as the nail. You are correct about notching it is more for cherry picking and you can loose a lot of targets by using it. When you turn iron audio on it will give the low grunt to everything below where you have set iron disc at and a mid tone above that number to a certain range then the high tone. You have to go out in the field and learn the machine just like anything else or if you have a test garden you can get more info that way. I only use disc in heavy iron infested sites to quiet down detector a bit. I will turn on iron audio over a iffy target to get more info but I usually dig anyway. A nail and a coin in same hole will not give a great tone unless you swing over it just rite. You might get a high tone just for a sec but it will mostly be a mid or broken tone. I have found many Indian head cents this way. It take some patients and a slower swing but the machine is telling you there is a good target under your coil.

Thanks, Kodiak, I understand the benefits better. Have you experienced any "wrap-around" with the AT Pro that required you to notch out the 95 or 90 segments?

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Buy it :)

I have a question i just ordered one yesterday.And some one told me to get the 5x8 coil.Would it be worth it?

I have both coils... the 5x8 is so good for trashy areas and it goes deep too... You will love it...

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, Kodiak, I understand the benefits better. Have you experienced any "wrap-around" with the AT Pro that required you to notch out the 95 or 90 segments?
not so far. I was out today an got an iffy signal in some gravel buy a grassy area. I swung over it from a few directions and it cleaned up a bit. I dug it and a piece of copper wire was in hole. I put pin pointer in hole again and at about 5 inces was a coin in same hole. Pulled it out and a 43 merc. I do a lot of digging at some sites because of age of site. If I get a deep iffy signal it's getting dug up. Anyway here is the merc and oh yea a good luck token 20' away from merc that had a vid of 86. It sounded like a clad quarter but I knew it wasn't silver because silver sounds diff on the at pro, for me anyway, good luck on what you choose. image-3972832256.jpg image-1838746851.jpg

Last edited:

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So, it sounds like you would strongly suggest if anyone was to buy their first AT Pro that they should spring for the "Spring Special" that includes the 5 by 8.

I'll put it this way…If my 5x8 ever stops working, for whatever reason, I'll use a different machine instead of putting the stock coil on! To me, it's a must have! TOTALLY transforms the machine IMO.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread