Ace 250 cant tell between dimes and pennies

AnonymousTurker

May 2, 2014
New Bedford Mass
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's just the way it is man. A huge silver necklace I found rang up as a penny. Imagine my surprise when it wasn't!

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
9 times out of 10 when my 250 tells me the target is a dime it turns out to be a penny. Does anyone else experience this? Any way to correct it?
Copper pennies and clad dimes are nearly identical in conductivity. High end machines can't tell the difference either. Just the way it is!

Lores

Apr 15, 2014
Virginia Beach, Virginia
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro ACE 250 Garrett Pro Pointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just be happy it wasnt a pull tab. A penny aint great but it's still better then can slaw!

JunkShopFiddler

Bronze Member
Feb 15, 2013
SW Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTP 1350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
At least you can notch out the zinc pennies and still hit on clad dimes. I dug a gold pendent once that hit like a zinc penny. I think about that pendent and dig zincs until I just can't take 'em anymore, then out they go!

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you notch out the Zincolns you will notch out the Indians.

topdogintampa

Apr 19, 2014
Tampa Bay
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro,Teknetics Gamma 6000, Treasure Com TC3X
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I find if I'm banging solid repeating 82-84 it's a dime but 78-82 could be either and most of the time it's a copper penny for me. 75-78 zincoln

If the dime hasn't been in the ground long it will seperate easy and you will know. Sometimes if the penny has been in awhile it can bleed at bit pushing the numbers a bit imo .

T

Hookedondetecting

Jul 18, 2013
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Tesoro COMPADRE and Mohave
ORX and Deus II
Fisher F 75 LTD "2"
Minelab 600
Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Makro Multi Kruzer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Clad Dimes are 92% Copper and 8% nickel. Metal content is similar to the older pre 1983 penny's, 95% copper- 5% zinc .
You did not say if the penny's are old copper or Zinc clad. IH are differ too.
So the big question for Garret is if their chart for dime ID copper clad or silver Dime???
Once a year I head up to the copper country and search the old mining areas for small scraps of lost copper. They ring up on my 350 as a dime too.
There are a few detectors out there that provide VID numbers from 1 to 99. This gives you a better clue to what you are pinging on.
Clad are are in the 67 range, copper or Dimes 77-83 - silver Quarter and halves around 88
Now some of these machines have dual sensing and the ping is separate from the VID number. Experts say trust the pings more than the VID# you see.
Some deep old coins will ping nice but no VID # so many times learning the sounds is key!
Hope this helps

Last edited:

rks1949

May 13, 2013
Lawrenceville,Il.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett AT Max, Nokta Simplex +, Nokta Legend ,Garrett Pro Pointer , Fisher F Point, Garrett Digging Tool, Gator Razor, Digging Tool, Sampson Digger, Get the Track Hoe! It's a deep one! :)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My ATP,and Deus can't tell the difference between a copper penny and a clad dime! I dig expecting a copper penny,then do the "happy dance",when I find it's a dime. Not so much of a dance if it's clad though!:icon_scratch:

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My AT reads copper pennies and clad dimes at 82...silver rosies and mercs at 84.

dahut

Nov 6, 2004
Lee's Tavern Road
Detector(s) used
21 years behind a coil

Fisher F70
Bounty Hunter Lone Star
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look at it this way: it only takes 100 cents to make a dollar.
With the price of copper, pre 1982 cents are currently worth about 3x their face value. This means you only need 33.3 of them to make a dollar.
Even Stinkin Zincers help offset inflation by being free for the most part. Every one you recover helps bring back the value of the pitiful dollar.

Don't hate the one cent coin - embrace it. It'll save your sanity.

Last edited:

sailoffwithme

May 19, 2014
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, pro pointer, AT Gold, Vulcan pointer
NEL 15 inch coil amazing
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been digging slave collars that showed as dimes ........ they are rings but very large iron and show as dimes

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been digging slave collars that showed as dimes ........ they are rings but very large iron and show as dimes
Are you serious?...I mean about finding slave collars.

sailoffwithme

May 19, 2014
Detector(s) used
NEL 15 inch coil amazing
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you serious?...I mean about finding slave collars.

Yeah and I found another one yesterday by a harmonica reed and another hoe that is 4 hoes in two months. Maybe I should start a garden Hoe house.......

and a mule shoe like a horse shoe but much larger and rounder was a weird day found 2 pennies too and some 22 shells and lead sinkers

Last edited:

sailoffwithme

May 19, 2014
Detector(s) used
NEL 15 inch coil amazing
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
9 times out of 10 when my 250 tells me the target is a dime it turns out to be a penny. Does anyone else experience this? Any way to correct it?

so if you dig twelve times you have 10 pennies = dime? hahahaa Ace 250 logical ? hahahaa

sailoffwithme

May 19, 2014
Detector(s) used
NEL 15 inch coil amazing
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I find if I'm banging solid repeating 82-84 it's a dime but 78-82 could be either and most of the time it's a copper penny for me. 75-78 zincoln

If the dime hasn't been in the ground long it will seperate easy and you will know. Sometimes if the penny has been in awhile it can bleed at bit pushing the numbers a bit imo .

T

Waiting on the AT Gold to show up! Ordered it today huge discount woohoo

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
The detector is only responding to different targets with similar conductivity. Because oxides on the surfaces of coins can change the conductivity numbers slightly, you do get a variance on target ID. The detector is working fine and doing what it is supposed to do. If someone could manufacture a detector that could with 100% accuracy differentiate between a dime and penny, or for that matter, a pull tab from a gold ring, it would make all other metal detectors obsolete.

fireguy

Dec 28, 2013
Dayton ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250
Copper pennies and clad dimes are nearly identical in conductivity. High end machines can't tell the difference either. Just the way it is!

Exactly copper pennies ring the same as dimes. Clad pennies one notch lower actually on penny.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread