AT Pro Tones - Question

madforclad

May 7, 2014
Hunting previously pounded sites
Detector(s) used
Minelab eTrac, Minelab X Terra 705, Garrett AT Pro with 5" x 8" coil, Fisher F2, Garrett Pro Pointer, RTG 710 Scoop.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had this posted in another forum in response to a different thread and since I did not get an any responses, therefore thought I would try here: I did a test where I laid out a number of targets in my yard and passed the coil over them. I think I have found a problem with the machine. As we know, there are supposed to be 3 distinct tones on this machine. For low conducting ferrous targets like iron nails I get the low "grunt". However for any targets above that I get the same high tones. For example a 10K gold ring which is coming in at 53 gives me the same high tone as a silver coin registering at 85. I was running the machine in Pro Mode with no discrim. When I switch over to standard mode it is the same 2 tones except I get the "bell tone" on all targets over 50. From 50 and up it is the same bell tone, even on junk targets like pull tabs and screw caps. My understanding is that there are supposed to be 3 distinct tones and I am only getting 2 as there does not appear to be any "mid tone". I have had this machine for about a year and never had any issues until lately. Thoughts?

CladGrabber

Oct 10, 2013
Tulsa Ok
Detector(s) used
AT PRO...Equinox 800...garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is your iron audio on or off during this test?

Eddie Current

May 17, 2011
Flooorida
Detector(s) used
CTX /AT Pro / Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You should be hearing a variable tone. Does a bottle cap have a scratching tone & a higher tone? A quarter or penny should give different tones. Quarters give a sweet high tone. I spend a lot of dirt time without the headphones and can usually tell the object just by listening to the tones. If you are getting just a single tone on bottle caps, pennies and quarters it might be wise to talk with Garrett.

OP
OP
madforclad

madforclad

May 7, 2014
Hunting previously pounded sites
Detector(s) used
Minelab eTrac, Minelab X Terra 705, Garrett AT Pro with 5" x 8" coil, Fisher F2, Garrett Pro Pointer, RTG 710 Scoop.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is your iron audio on or off during this test?

Iron audio is off.

You should be hearing a variable tone. Does a bottle cap have a scratching tone & a higher tone? A quarter or penny should give different tones. Quarters give a sweet high tone. I spend a lot of dirt time without the headphones and can usually tell the object just by listening to the tones. If you are getting just a single tone on bottle caps, pennies and quarters it might be wise to talk with Garrett.

I' ll check that and let you know.

signal

Apr 30, 2011
Royal Palm Beach, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX-3030, Minelab Exalibur II, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Are you running Pro mode? I only run pro mode and their definitely should be 3 distinct tones in Pro mode.

CladGrabber

Oct 10, 2013
Tulsa Ok
Detector(s) used
AT PRO...Equinox 800...garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Either some sort of masking is happening or you need to call garrett.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can make the iron tones ring mid tone with iron audio on but you cant make mid tones ring high...something is wrong...have you tried re setting...hold the power button down and you will hear a beep in a few seconds...other than that, give Garrett a call...good luck.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread