Milford, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac,
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett AT Max
Minelab Equinox 800 and 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Deep target. When I found my 1762 2 Reale got just a whisper of a tone. and occasionally would get a jumping VDI but most swings were just a whisper of a tone with no VDI. It was down about 8-9 inches.

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think it means a trip back to Garrett for repair..

Um NO!

It's either a deeper target or your sens is very low. I've dug several deep items that have rang up with audio but no vdi. It will also act the same way on shallower targets if I have the sens turned WAY down like when I'm around tot lot equipment and such.

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Deep target. When I found my 1762 2 Reale got just a whisper of a tone. and occasionally would get a jumping VDI but most swings were just a whisper of a tone with no VDI. It was down about 8-9 inches.

Exactly...deeper targets will do this..try to circle the target to try to get a better "read" on it, as a lot of times approaching from a different angle will better locate the target. That is why when I am at a great site with older, deeper targets, I will grid the yard in BOTH directions. Works great!...as I usually end up finding some great signals that I did not catch going the other direction...ddf

OP
OP
DavidGC

DavidGC

Jun 25, 2014
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like those three answers better than the first one. :laughing7:

I guess I'll have to dig one and see.

justdon

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2013
Florida
Detector(s) used
Teknetics delta4000/Tesoro compadre/Garrett ace 250/Garrett propointer/Garrett at pro/Tesoro silver umax
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It will tell you in the manual and look at some videos it will not show numbers on some deep targets.Mine has done that a few times when the target was about 9" or so.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is a common thing when using detectors with screens. The Audio signal will notify you way before the VDI numbers. This is the same no matter which detector your using. This going back and rechecking the area like Dirtdiggingfool says has a lot of merit.

I know of a saw dust pile in a old park that still gives up Wheaties and silver dimes every time I visit it and a lot of the coins are shallow, less than 6 inches. I don't know what the guy upstairs is trying to tell me. Could be the coin was tilted and couldn't make a response one way. Or I didn't wear my lucky green socks that used to be White.

BTW, Any newbies know what the sawdust piles were for?

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
I get that on deep targets. On regular targets at simple depths, the ID numbers continue to work well.

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This is a common thing when using detectors with screens. The Audio signal will notify you way before the VDI numbers. This is the same no matter which detector your using. This going back and rechecking the area like Dirtdiggingfool says has a lot of merit. I know of a saw dust pile in a old park that still gives up Wheaties and silver dimes every time I visit it and a lot of the coins are shallow, less than 6 inches. I don't know what the guy upstairs is trying to tell me. Could be the coin was tilted and couldn't make a response one way. Or I didn't wear my lucky green socks that used to be White. BTW, Any newbies know what the sawdust piles were for?

Awwww.... Can only newbies answer that? :)

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is a common thing when using detectors with screens. The Audio signal will notify you way before the VDI numbers. This is the same no matter which detector your using. This going back and rechecking the area like Dirtdiggingfool says has a lot of merit.

I know of a saw dust pile in a old park that still gives up Wheaties and silver dimes every time I visit it and a lot of the coins are shallow, less than 6 inches. I don't know what the guy upstairs is trying to tell me. Could be the coin was tilted and couldn't make a response one way. Or I didn't wear my lucky green socks that used to be White.

BTW, Any newbies know what the sawdust piles were for?

...not really sure..If I HAD to guess..I would surmise that given the number of sawmills back in the day, there was most likely a surplus of sawdust before there was a surplus of shredded tires !!...?? lol...ddf

madforclad

May 7, 2014
Hunting previously pounded sites
Detector(s) used
Minelab eTrac, Minelab X Terra 705, Garrett AT Pro with 5" x 8" coil, Fisher F2, Garrett Pro Pointer, RTG 710 Scoop.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Yep...this has happened to me as well. No I did not find a 1762 Reale(yet) however have experincing deep targets where I will get little or no sound and a unstable VDI. Mostly occurs with high conductive targets like silver. I always dig these.

HenryWaltonJonesJr

Sep 2, 2013
Downtown Chicago
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, AT Pro, Compadre, SeaHunter II, AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When I see those wood chip sawdust piles I believe it was where a tree was and they ground up the trunk instead of trying to remove it. Btw I'll always be a newbie lol

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Back in the day they used to put a pile of sawdust out at a family reunion or other large function and the adults would toss coins into it. Instant baby sitter for the kids who would search for hours sifting out the treasure.

Thigh66

Mar 29, 2006
CT
Detector(s) used
Legend & Simplex +
i dont even use the display anymore - i detect purely with my ears

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions